www.ceoemail.com - again

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
cannonmc
Moon lover
Moon lover

www.ceoemail.com - again

Unread post by cannonmc » 2022-05-20, 10:00

Previous forum thread:
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26991&p=216620&hilit=ceoemail#p216620

Having graciously allowed access again I got this message recently:
"403 - Forbidden
Access to the page you requested on https://www.ceoemail.com has been
forbidden.

Your IP address is: 86.10.xxx.xxx
Your host is: cpcxxx
For questions about website access please email: ceoemailDOTsecurityATconnectotelDOTcom"

I wrote to that address sayin I was using Windows and PM and they'd blocked PM once beforeand got this answer:

"Please use a different browser, thank you.

(We had to block PaleMoon again because we see so many abuse attempts)

Nothing personal!"

I have just replied:
"I have reported your comment to the PaleMoon developers. Last time you said it was PM's build-in VPN. It doesn't have one.

But I find it strange that of the 100s of sites I use, including the BBC, all national newspapers, Tesco, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, ebay and all the links on your own site among many others, your site alone blocks PaleMoon.

Does make me think that it could be something odd at your end."

Everyone out of step except them... :?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: www.ceoemail.com - again

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-20, 10:29

We can't do anything about them discriminating against what browser you use.

Critical note: No legitimate web client should ever be blocked based on its identification. I have no problem with wholesale blocking of malicious clients (we do that too) but just because some users happen to use Pale Moon to cause abuse doesn't mean they should be blocking the entire browser from their service. I bet you they wouldn't do the same with (probably more) abuse seen from Chrome-identified browsers...

EDIT: I shot them a personal e-mail. We'll see what they respond with.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-20, 12:08

I had a brief back-and-forth with an editor at ceoemail.com and it became clear that the block was instated based on prior abuse they received from scrapers with old Firefox/xx slices. Predominantly problems with Firefox/3.5.2 Firefox/40.1 and Firefox/52.x. So it's not specifically against Pale Moon but any scraper/bot using old Firefox versions in their useragent string.

I explained to him why we are currently by default carrying v68.0 (which is old, yes), why the Firefox/xx slice is there by default, and asked to adjust their UA sniffing routine to allow recent versions of Pale Moon, which was done. Old versions of Pale Moon (e.g. v27 or what not) may still remain blocked. Update your browser in that case! Current versions of Pale Moon should no longer have an issue.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

cannonmc
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by cannonmc » 2022-05-20, 13:47

Thank you, Moonchild, for sorting that out. Needed the tech savvy to explain that I didn't have. And the owner of that site can be a little, erm, arrogant...

Working now with PM29 and 27(I only just noticed the upgrade to 31 when posting to this).

BTW I keep a copy of v27 as it allows me access to three UK newspaper web sites :silent: