Cloudflare "Checking your browser" infinite redirect on multiple sites

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Anon658153
Moongazer
Moongazer

Cloudflare "Checking your browser" infinite redirect on multiple sites

Unread post by Anon658153 » 2022-05-04, 06:09

This issue occurs on any site that uses Cloudflare's "Browser Integrity Check". The page reloads over and over and never passes through to the site itself. Firefox, Chrome, and Edge all load the site as expected. This issue occurs on a clean profile with no extensions installed or settings changed. I also verified the issue occurs on a clean Windows 10 VM with a fresh Pale Moon installation.

This seems to be a recent change on Cloudflare's checks as I was able to access pages behind Cloudflare yesterday. It's not an IP block as I tested it from IPv4 and two IPv6 subnets (HE.net tunnel and ISP native.)

Example site affected by this issue: https://dodi-repacks.site/

The lines below are all that showed up in the browser console:

Code: Select all

Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at https://tls-ech-experiment-c.cloudflareresearch.com/.well-known/probe. (Reason: CORS header ‘Access-Control-Allow-Origin’ missing).  
(unknown)
Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at https://tls-ech-experiment.cloudflareresearch.com/.well-known/probe. (Reason: CORS header ‘Access-Control-Allow-Origin’ missing).  
(unknown)
Security Error: Content at https://dodi-repacks.site/ may not load data from https://lkvb3h.cloudflarecaptcha.com/.
Security Error: Content at https://dodi-repacks.site/ may not load data from https://gdl3wg.cloudflarecaptcha.com/.
I'm using Pale Moon 29.4.6 x64 Linux. 29.4.6 x64 Windows is also affected.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Re: Cloudflare "Checking your browser" infinite redirect on multiple sites

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2022-05-04, 09:46

Confirmed. This is also the case with SteamDB (https://steamdb.info)

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2022-05-04, 12:43

I can confirm the two links posted so far loop infinitely for me as well.
(This computer happens to be Linux Mint, PM 29.4.6 64-bit)

Boson
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Boson » 2022-05-04, 13:31

I can confirm the existence of the problem. For example, the website www.board4all.biz is also in an infinite loading loop.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-04, 16:51

So did y'all also report this to cloudflare? I'm quite sure this isn't exactly intentional from their end but someone needs to be taking a look at it. I'll send them a message as well just to be sure.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2022-05-04, 17:17

Moonchild wrote:
2022-05-04, 16:51
I'm quite sure this isn't exactly intentional from their end ...
Hmm, I wouldn't be quite so sure.
It's not only about Pale Moon. Not even latest Firefox ESR (fork) is passing their "browser check".
Wonder which three-letter agency they are also working for.

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-05-04, 17:28

gepus wrote:
2022-05-04, 17:17
It's not only about Pale Moon. Not even latest Firefox ESR (fork) is passing their "browser check".
Cloudflare has been doing the infinite redirects to Tor Browser for quite a long time. At least the last couple of years, if I recall correctly.

sunstarunicorn
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by sunstarunicorn » 2022-05-04, 19:52

I definitely agree on CloudFlare being a giant pain.

I've been using Pale Moon for Fanfiction.net for years and gritting my teeth through multiple CloudFlare checks every gosh darn day for the past couple months.

Funny - yesterday, I would've given quite a lot to have the CloudFlare captcha check go away. Now I want it back so I can access Fanfiction.net again.

:cry:
Then I shall name you Tinúviel Beria uin Morchaint, which means 'Daughter of Twilight protecting from the Shadows' in Elvish.

Once a King or Queen of Narnia, always a King or Queen.

He is not a tame Lion...but he is Good.

Connect, Respect, Protect

Let's Keep the Peace!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-04, 20:14

gepus wrote:
Which makes it even more likely that someone just made a mistake in their "JS based challenge" scripting and whatever they did not having been thoroughly tested before being rolled out.

By the way, whether you get this challenge or not is entirely under the control of the website owners. Being a Cloudflare user myself I'm very familiar with the control any webmaster has and the "checking your browser" page is generally only triggered if they set the level to "I'm under attack" or are overly asinine in what they configure the WAF (web application firewall) to.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

sunstarunicorn
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by sunstarunicorn » 2022-05-04, 20:50

Moonchild,

Do you know how ordinary users can report issues to CloudFlare?

I just tried sending their support desk an email about this issue, but their bot automatically closed it because I do not have a CloudFlare account.

If there is a way for us ordinary users to complain, I will gladly do so. Fanfiction.net is one of my favorite sites.
Then I shall name you Tinúviel Beria uin Morchaint, which means 'Daughter of Twilight protecting from the Shadows' in Elvish.

Let's Keep the Peace!

diceman2037
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by diceman2037 » 2022-05-05, 01:21

gepus wrote:
Moonchild wrote:
2022-05-04, 16:51
I'm quite sure this isn't exactly intentional from their end ...
Redirects on ESR 91 is working just fine.

Boson
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Boson » 2022-05-05, 06:23

Moonchild wrote:
2022-05-04, 20:14
Which makes it even more likely that someone just made a mistake in their "JS based challenge" scripting and whatever they did not having been thoroughly tested before being rolled out.

By the way, whether you get this challenge or not is entirely under the control of the website owners. Being a Cloudflare user myself I'm very familiar with the control any webmaster has and the "checking your browser" page is generally only triggered if they set the level to "I'm under attack" or are overly asinine in what they configure the WAF (web application firewall) to.
https://community.cloudflare.com/t/brow ... /381029/17
The Browser Integrity Check makes sure a browser is who it says it is - Pale Moon reports it is Firefox 68, and Pale Moon is not Firefox. It should be challenged, and is being challenged.

I don’t think we’re going to get anywhere with this discussion and it’s quickly devolving into more negativity so I think it’s best we leave it here. The issues at hand with this browser have been explained and the onus is on the maintainers of that browser to fix the issue.
I just wonder what do you say about that, Mr. Developer? ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-05, 07:52

They just closed that topic before I could even reply.
I re-opened a new one here

They also indicated in my direct support ticket
The sites you have listed are not under your account.
Please advise the site owners to open a ticket for us to move this forward.
If more people come forward with the same trouble, our Engineering Team would be able to gather greater samples to provide solutions.
And demanded I set up a domain with them, then break access to it deliberately, before they would even acknowledge it. It's madness.

EDIT: aaand now their community site is suddenly down :P
I wonder what's up with them this week.
FireShot Pro Screen Capture #333 - 'community_cloudflare_com I 522_ Connection timed out' - community_cloudflare_com_t_browser-integerity-check-broken_381220.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-05, 08:59

sunstarunicorn wrote:
2022-05-04, 20:50
Do you know how ordinary users can report issues to CloudFlare?
Apparently they can't. CloudFlare has adopted the policy now that they will not accept support requests from anyone BUT website owners who have an account with them and active domains through them.
Well, aside from making an account and posting on the community site, of course.

They want users to bug website owners and then the website owners (if they care) to bug them.
Maybe this is a blessing in disguise if website owners get so annoyed with user reports that they stop using CloudFlare, if THIS is the way CF treats users?...
They certainly dropped a few notches in my appreciation with this.

jangdonggun1234
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by jangdonggun1234 » 2022-05-05, 13:07

Moonchild wrote:
2022-05-04, 20:14
Being a Cloudflare user myself I'm very familiar with the control any webmaster has and the "checking your browser" page is generally only triggered if they set the level to "I'm under attack" or are overly asinine in what they configure the WAF (web application firewall) to.
This is true, I've seen so many website developers turned I'm under attack on by default for godsake. Some even switched captcha check level to highest just to annoy users.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2022-05-05, 14:49

Boson wrote:
2022-05-05, 06:23

https://community.cloudflare.com/t/brow ... /381029/17
The Browser Integrity Check makes sure a browser is who it says it is - Pale Moon reports it is Firefox 68, and Pale Moon is not Firefox. It should be challenged, and is being challenged.
That's a very lame subterfuge. De facto it's a blatant lie.

BTW, setting Pale Moon's UA to native doesn't make any difference.

I assume that all browsers using the Chrome engine (Brave, Opera, ...) will pass the "browser identity check" (which seems to be device fingerprinting as well).

One engine and rule them all ...

karlkracher
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by karlkracher » 2022-05-05, 14:59

Using the firefox UA

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:100.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/100.0
for a page in Pale Moon I can access it as before. This test if a browser is what he tells what he is is ridiculous.

sunstarunicorn
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by sunstarunicorn » 2022-05-05, 15:10

karlkracher wrote:
2022-05-05, 14:59
Using the firefox UA

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:100.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/100.0
for a page in Pale Moon I can access it as before. This test if a browser is what he tells what he is is ridiculous.
I'm not following. Did you update the Firefox UA to get around the Infinite Redirects?

If so, can you tell us how? I know that would just be a stopgap measure, but if CloudFlare is going to be this petty, it doesn't sound like the issue will get fixed any time soon.

Let's Keep the Peace!

Pause
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Pause » 2022-05-05, 15:16

sunstarunicorn wrote:
2022-05-05, 15:10
karlkracher wrote:
2022-05-05, 14:59
Using the firefox UA

I'm not following. Did you update the Firefox UA to get around the Infinite Redirects?

If so, can you tell us how? I know that would just be a stopgap measure, but if CloudFlare is going to be this petty, it doesn't sound like the issue will get fixed any time soon.
After seeing this, I just did a quick check using steamdb.info as the test site, and I can confirm that setting a site-specific user-agent override of that has allowed it to get through.

general.useragent.override.steamdb.info