Cloudflare "Checking your browser" infinite redirect on multiple sites

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
sunstarunicorn
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Cloudflare "Checking your browser" infinite redirect on multiple sites

Unread post by sunstarunicorn » 2022-05-09, 15:13

I'm afraid Tobin found the ghacks article and naturally took the opportunity to accuse Moonchild of, among other things, violating the Mozilla Public License.

It seems to have slipped his mind that by attacking Pale Moon in an article about CloudFlare's wrongdoing, he is essentially siding with Big Tech - and the Internet of Walled Gardens.

I keep praying that this blows up in CloudFlare's collective faces, but somehow, I don't think it will.

:cry:
Then I shall name you Tinúviel Beria uin Morchaint, which means 'Daughter of Twilight protecting from the Shadows' in Elvish.

Once a King or Queen of Narnia, always a King or Queen.

He is not a tame Lion...but he is Good.

Connect, Respect, Protect

Let's Keep the Peace!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-09, 19:00

sunstarunicorn wrote:
2022-05-09, 15:13
I'm afraid Tobin found the ghacks article and naturally took the opportunity to accuse Moonchild of, among other things, violating the Mozilla Public License.
Lolwhat? XD
Well, since ghacks seems to be unreachable for me at the moment, I'll just have to rely on others telling me what was said, but I find that actually very amusing. How on earth does he think I violated the MPL? Did I forget to upload some ancient source tarball somewhere or something?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Anon658153
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Anon658153 » 2022-05-09, 19:10

Moonchild wrote:
2022-05-09, 19:00
...since ghacks seems to be unreachable for me at the moment, I'll just have to rely on others telling me what was said...
I still had the site open in another tab:
Off-topic:
**removed**

sunstarunicorn
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by sunstarunicorn » 2022-05-09, 19:15

Moonchild wrote:
2022-05-09, 19:00
sunstarunicorn wrote:
2022-05-09, 15:13
Lolwhat? XD
Well, since ghacks seems to be unreachable for me at the moment, I'll just have to rely on others telling me what was said, but I find that actually very amusing. How on earth does he think I violated the MPL? Did I forget to upload some ancient source tarball somewhere or something?
Moonchild, I have sent you a PM with Tobin's ghacks' comments. I'd rather not let his remarks derail this thread.
Then I shall name you Tinúviel Beria uin Morchaint, which means 'Daughter of Twilight protecting from the Shadows' in Elvish.

Let's Keep the Peace!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-09, 20:08

Off-topic:
Removed content that would likely derail this thread. Let's just conclude my supposed and future "violation" of the MPL is utter nonsense.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Anon658153
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Anon658153 » 2022-05-09, 21:51

Sorry, wasn't trying to derail the thread. Perhaps I should have PM'd that.

Back on topic, just found this:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=31317886
adammartinetti 32 minutes ago | next [–]

I'm a product manager at Cloudflare. Thanks very much for posting this here.

This looks like a bug with our "Managed Challenge" security action that's causing the loop. This feature attempts to determine browser versus non-browser traffic and block non-browsers. The fact that the challenge is currently not working for Waterfox Classic and Pale Moon is not by intent, and we do not want to be in the business of saying one browser is more legitimate than another.

I see that the name of our Browser Integrity Check feature (which is not causing the block here) is drawing some attention. This is a feature that blocks malformed HTTP request headers, and user-agents commonly used by abusive bots (like user-agents with Java and Python in them). This is a pretty simple set of rules that also does not attempt to differentiate between browsers. Here's our KB article on the feature: https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us ... 00170086-U...

I'm sorry that this has caused a serious issue for quite a large number of users, and that we were not more reachable in our community forum. I'll provide a follow-up here when we have an update on the bug. Thank you again for taking the time to write this up!
Look ma, damage control! :roll: Yeah, NOW you want to fix it, when it's about to spin up into a category 1 sh!tstorm, not several days ago when the first reports of the issue were made both in your ticketing system and your community forum. :evil: :evil: :evil:

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2022-05-09, 21:58

Ok, it's good news. No need to get mad about this, too. Of course, the fix needs to come ASAP.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-09, 22:03

Maybe CloudFlare people will have more appreciation now for "not rolling out impactful changes on a Friday". The delay in handling this was likely in part due to people having their weekend.

sunstarunicorn
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by sunstarunicorn » 2022-05-09, 22:34

But they didn't roll it out on a Friday. It started last Wednesday, so wouldn't they have had to roll out on Tuesday night?

Let's Keep the Peace!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-09, 22:55

Oh. Heh. You're right.
Shows you how much I lost track of time working non-stop for the past month.

Anon658153
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Anon658153 » 2022-05-09, 23:14

Not having a way for those impacted by the changes to directly report issues without going through a third party is what made this issue what it is. There's absolutely no excuse whatsoever for taking almost a week to finally just respond to a critical-level multiple-site-down emergency. If your initial damage-control response takes multiple days it doesn't really matter when you roll out a change.
sunstarunicorn wrote:
2022-05-09, 22:34
But they didn't roll it out on a Friday. It started last Wednesday, so wouldn't they have had to roll out on Tuesday night?
I noticed this issue some time on May 2nd, so they probably rolled out the change late Sunday night or early Monday morning in some US time zone. I waited two days before posting to give Cloudflare a chance to fix an issue I had wrongly assumed they were competent enough to see themselves and fix without prompting. My bad. :oops:

sunstarunicorn
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by sunstarunicorn » 2022-05-09, 23:18

My reason for saying Wednesday is because Fanfiction.net is a daily site for me.

I was able to access it (with difficulty, since CloudFlare loves Captchas) on Tuesday, but not Wednesday morning.

However, it certainly could've started earlier and they had some sort of rolling restart that took until late Tuesday/early Wednesday to reach Fanfiction.net.

Let's Keep the Peace!

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2022-05-10, 00:25

sunstarunicorn wrote:
2022-05-09, 23:18
However, it certainly could've started earlier and they had some sort of rolling restart..
That could be the reason that I can't access topdocumentaryfilms.com but another user here, Sajadi, was able to.
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

DoctorM
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by DoctorM » 2022-05-10, 16:17

Enjoy your popcorn, but Soylentnews isn't exactly a mainstream site. This thread is the first time I've heard of it.

digitalaudiorock
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by digitalaudiorock » 2022-05-11, 16:31

DoctorM wrote:
2022-05-10, 16:17
Enjoy your popcorn, but Soylentnews isn't exactly a mainstream site. This thread is the first time I've heard of it.
I actually submitted the story there. Soylentnews.org is more or less a clone of slashdot.org that came about when the latter became a corporate run clickbait mess. It actually does have a lot of members, most of whom will find this scenario as repulsive as everyone here. Better than no publicity at all.

sunstarunicorn
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by sunstarunicorn » 2022-05-11, 17:35

Oooh...wow... Just when I thought CloudFlare had run out of tricks.

CloudFlare has re-enabled the Captcha screen, but passing the Captcha just puts you back in the Redirecting loop until finally it sends you back to the Captcha screen.

/headdesk

Is this a fix or their latest insult?

:evil:

Let's Keep the Peace!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-11, 17:45

sunstarunicorn wrote:
2022-05-11, 17:35
Is this a fix or their latest insult?
Yes.

jouven
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by jouven » 2022-05-13, 00:05

Seems Cloudflare has fixed the issue (for now), no more loops, sites load correctly, I'm on PM 31

Couperin
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Couperin » 2022-05-13, 00:25

I can confirm, the NH Court System site uses Cloudflare and has worked perfectly with both PM and Basilik (with no Capcha screens) since it's inception....until this month. Now it works again perfectly.