Cloudflare "Checking your browser" infinite redirect on multiple sites

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Cloudflare "Checking your browser" infinite redirect on multiple sites

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-07, 15:27

I'm sure that will be deflected by the argument that "webmasters decide whether they want to use the integrity checks", which technically is true, but webmasters aren't informed of the actual ramifications of enabling it. The verification should not use a whitelist (only allow known-good actors, as they seem to be doing now) but rather a blacklist (only block known-bad actors).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2022-05-07, 16:18

jouven wrote:
2022-05-07, 14:41
Another way to frame the issue is: if the requirements about how to pass the check aren't public why does chrome pass it?
Because this change is simply so Chromium based browsers are getting more attraction, lets say a simple user uses some other browser which was not updated in a long time and suddenly the page he wants to visit does not work anymore. Simple solution.... asking friends, getting Chrome recommended and thats the solution for them. Google loves that.

Lets be realistic, Cloudflare and Google have a big interest of an unhealthy monopoly - Cloudflare helps Google, Google will repay them for their help in whatever for a way for sure too.

And all the ones who refuse to be consumed and refuse to adopt Chrome or a Chromium based browser will face obstacle after obstacle until they give up and swallow the inevitable poison pill. You have seen what user "KianNH" has recommended to solve the problem? Use Chrome or Chromium!

This post here is giving pretty much insight, quoting some faq of Cloudflare:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/182647-my- ... nt-1218199
Supported browsers

If your visitors are using an up-to-date version of a major browser — such as Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Microsoft Edge, Chrome and Safari on mobile — they will receive the challenge correctly.

If your visitors encounter issues using a major browser besides Internet Explorer, they should upgrade their browser
Which basically means as long as Cloudflare is not changing their policy, pages which have this "security check" will render not properly on browsers CF calls "outdated" - They literally smashed the door right into our faces with that stunt :evil: :evil: :evil:

Anon658153
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Anon658153 » 2022-05-07, 19:36

Cloudflare locked the forum thread again. Let's see how long this lasts:

https://community.cloudflare.com/t/lock ... ion/381829

The only way this gets fixed is if enough people make enough noise...

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-05-07, 22:47

There's now reports in the ghacks thread that this is affecting Pale Moon, Waterfox, older Firefox, Firefox developer edition, and that it has recently affected Edge and (by me) that it has affected Tor Browser for years.

Kuroji

Unread post by Kuroji » 2022-05-08, 00:14

Anything that doesn't meet their seemingly arbitrary requirements has been broken, and they are purposefully not saying what causes it to fail/break on their end so that it can be addressed by the browsers' developers. Definitely a deliberate decision on their part - I only wonder what the endgame is.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-08, 03:52

Kuroji wrote:
2022-05-08, 00:14
they are purposefully not saying what causes it to fail/break on their end so that it can be addressed by the browsers' developers.
The whole premise that this is something for us to "fix" is wrong.
We can only "fix" it by not being us.

I'm sure the reason for being tight-lipped about the details is that they don't want to give malware vendors information to work around their arbitrary check, though. It makes sense in that context, BUT their sweeping "checks" are catching a lot of innocent pieces of software in their net right now and they seem unwilling to do anything about it.
I do hope they address this soon. If not and ghacks or similar gets wind of what they are doing, it might become very damaging.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Kuroji

Unread post by Kuroji » 2022-05-08, 06:47

Moonchild wrote:
2022-05-08, 03:52
The whole premise that this is something for us to "fix" is wrong.
We can only "fix" it by not being us.
That really does feel like that's what they were saying in that thread. Having no recourse for any issues to be addressed unless you are a paying customer feels deliberately disrespectful, if not outright disturbing. Frankly however, with how widespread the effect is, I don't think they would even listen to their paying customers.
I do hope they address this soon. If not and ghacks or similar gets wind of what they are doing, it might become very damaging.
At this point it would simply be a matter of Cloudflare reaping the whirlwind. Still, I hope more sober minds take action and fix the issues that were deliberately created. Not everyone can upgrade to the browsers that they have arbitrarily declared allowable, even if they wanted to. And just because something has been declared "end of life" does not mean that it is not still used. Their job should not be to force people to go to the newest, shiniest product.

I still want to know what their angle is, because they clearly have one. It bothers me far more than it ought.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2022-05-08, 11:39

Kuroji wrote:
2022-05-08, 06:47
At this point it would simply be a matter of Cloudflare reaping the whirlwind. Still, I hope more sober minds take action and fix the issues that were deliberately created.
Thats sadly wishful thinking, Google and Cloudflare work hand in hand together as partners in crime. Cloudflare supports and openly advertises Google Cloud Platform (https://www.cloudflare.com/integrations ... ct-program) and supports with their new anti-competitive behavior that Chrome gets even more adopted and Google pays them tons of money.

So why should they reverse course? For them its a win-win situation and they don't care at all for browsers like Waterfox Classic, Otter-Browser, Pale Moon or Seamonkey for example.

From now on it truly looks like the only option to view Cloudflare protected pages is an add-on in Pale Moon and other affected browsers which enables the user to open the pages in question with a Chromium based or Chromium similar (Firefox) browser. Or intentionally refusing to go and visit such pages.

Either way, this round Big Tech has won.

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2022-05-08, 13:02

Sajadi wrote:
2022-05-08, 11:39
Thats sadly wishful thinking, Google and Cloudflare work hand in hand together as partners in crime.
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2022-05-08, 13:07

somdcomputerguy wrote:
2022-05-08, 13:02
Sajadi wrote:
2022-05-08, 11:39
Thats sadly wishful thinking, Google and Cloudflare work hand in hand together as partners in crime.
Keep denying it, partnerships exist and in our Industrial world the competition is never treated fair and equally :lol:

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2022-05-08, 16:08

Sajadi wrote:
2022-05-08, 13:07
Keep denying it, partnerships exist and in our Industrial world the competition is never treated fair and equally :lol:
I didn't mean to imply that I was denying anything, and I'm almost sorry it was taken that way.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-08, 16:19

Off-topic:
somdcomputerguy wrote:
2022-05-08, 16:08
I didn't mean to imply that I was denying anything, and I'm almost sorry it was taken that way.
That's the inherent risk of posting an image response with no context.

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2022-05-08, 16:32

Off-topic:
Moonchild wrote:
2022-05-08, 16:19
That's the inherent risk of posting an image response with no context.
I (guess mistakenly) thought the text I quoted in my original post would have been enough. Anyway, I was just trying to bring a little snicker.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2022-05-08, 16:37

somdcomputerguy wrote:
2022-05-08, 16:08
Sajadi wrote:
2022-05-08, 13:07
Well i had a 50-50 chance that i have judged the picture correctly or not, sorry for my mistake :D

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2022-05-08, 16:48

Sajadi wrote:
2022-05-08, 16:37
Well i had a 50-50 chance that i have judged the picture correctly or not, sorry for my mistake :D
No worries at all. On another note, well actually closer to the note.., it seems that this site has jumped on that CF bandwagon. It (the site) would load (and subsequently operate correctly) just fine until sometime between just a few minutes ago and about several weeks ago - https://topdocumentaryfilms.com.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2022-05-08, 17:05

somdcomputerguy wrote:
2022-05-08, 16:48
No worries at all. On another note, well actually closer to the note.., it seems that this site has jumped on that CF bandwagon. It (the site) would load (and subsequently operate correctly) just fine until sometime between just a few minutes ago and about several weeks ago - https://topdocumentaryfilms.com.
Good to hear, i dislike conflicts, i rather prefer everyone being friends :wave: :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:

The site you mentioned loads properly here, no issue right now.

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2022-05-08, 17:24

Sajadi wrote:
2022-05-08, 17:05
Good to hear, i dislike conflicts, i rather prefer everyone being friends :wave: :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
I agree. :mrgreen:
Sajadi wrote:
2022-05-08, 17:05
The site you mentioned loads properly here, no issue right now.
:x I'll have to try again later. I had tried to go back to that site after my initial post to inform them of the, error, and I was surprised and almost delighted that after only a minute or so of redirects I landed on a CAPTCHA page. After completing two pages of that however I ended back to the 'browser check' page.., and then the CAPTCHA page again..

EDIT: All three of PM's compatibility modes yield the same results for me, and I haven't (and probably won't) try any UA work arounds.

Sifat
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Sifat » 2022-05-08, 19:49

same problem, is there any solution found (in other sites too)

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2022-05-08, 20:09

Sifat wrote:
2022-05-08, 19:49
same problem, is there any solution found (in other sites too)
AFAIK, the only solution would be for the CF folks to get off their butts and stop doing what they're doing, or use a chromium engined browser.

digitalaudiorock
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by digitalaudiorock » 2022-05-09, 14:57

For what it's worth, I submitted this one to soylentnews.org yesterday and the submission was accepted. Apparently it will be posted early tomorrow (around 1 AM). Can't hurt to give this one a little publicity.

Why is it that every thread I see on this one outside of this forum seems to degenerate into a handful of a-holes bashing PM? WTF is up with that?