maglit.me - can't enter text, no console errors

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

maglit.me - can't enter text, no console errors

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-04-28, 00:54

As above. The site is a 'privacy respecting' URL shortener but can't paste any text in the field provided, on a fresh profile as well. Nothing in the error console, and on my regular profile there's nothing caught by the adblocker either.
Of course it works in a Chrome based browser. So privacy, much wow. :coffee:
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Re: maglit.me - can't enter text, no console errors

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2022-04-28, 01:25

The problem might be CSS-related: removing and restoring fixed back again from the class list of the outer div container of the div containing the logo and link input textbox fixes the issue on my end.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-04-28, 10:05

Yes, it's css-related.
Specifically, they are causing issues by, as far as I can tell, having flex elements overlap (rendered elements that are positioned off-screen) which prevents input from getting to the actual input box, heavily relying on some kind of framework that does shiny CSS animations that is obviously not being tested against Goanna.
It's a form. This can be done without a ton of CSS and JS introducing way too many moving parts -- it's been over-engineered to the point of breaking. :silent:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-04-28, 10:21

And all of that to display an empty page with a text input box and little else :crazy:
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2022-04-28, 17:12

Off-topic:
And to top it off, at present I get:

Code: Select all

Secure Connection Failed
The connection to maglit.me was interrupted while the page was loading.
And if I try http: instead of https:

Code: Select all

Malware and Phishing
http://asset.px-svc-2szps.hv.nominum.cloud/business/logo
http://maglit.me/POST
http://fdb7a945c79701/
http://maglit.me/.replace(/%7B%7Bid%7D%7D/,

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-04-29, 07:50

moonbat wrote:
2022-04-28, 10:21
And all of that to display an empty page with a text input box and little else :crazy:
... But they want their custom styled dialog boxes to fly in from any browser edge they wish! Doesn't everyone? :lol:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

NayamAmarshe
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by NayamAmarshe » 2022-04-29, 07:52

Hi, creator of MagLit here. I'll try to fix the website for palemoon, definitely not good that it breaks here. Thanks for reporting :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-04-29, 08:15

NayamAmarshe wrote:
2022-04-29, 07:52
Hi, creator of MagLit here. I'll try to fix the website for palemoon, definitely not good that it breaks here. Thanks for reporting :)
Thanks for reaching out and looking at this!
As far as I can tell (from casual inspection) it has to do with the pre-rendered dialogs that are kept off-screen, but by being in a flex container will have incorrect stacking, resulting in blocking behaviour for input/interaction. Different rendering engines do treat css context differently (not in the least because the various specs often contradict themselves or simply don't describe expected behaviour very well), especially when dealing with using flex containers with overlapping.

May I suggest not using flex when you're not actually creating a flexible stacked layout/masonry? There are plenty of other options you can use.

I really do suggest you make a landing page input form as simple as you can make it for both web compatibility and page loading/caching reasons.

NayamAmarshe
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by NayamAmarshe » 2022-04-29, 09:02

Moonchild wrote:
2022-04-29, 08:15
NayamAmarshe wrote:
2022-04-29, 07:52
Thanks for reaching out and looking at this!
As far as I can tell (from casual inspection) it has to do with the pre-rendered dialogs that are kept off-screen, but by being in a flex container will have incorrect stacking, resulting in blocking behaviour for input/interaction. Different rendering engines do treat css context differently (not in the least because the various specs often contradict themselves or simply don't describe expected behaviour very well), especially when dealing with using flex containers with overlapping.

May I suggest not using flex when you're not actually creating a flexible stacked layout/masonry? There are plenty of other options you can use.

I really do suggest you make a landing page input form as simple as you can make it for both web compatibility and page loading/caching reasons.
Thanks for the suggestions. MagLit focuses more on a modern UI and because of that reason, it's not fully compatible with every browser. I've mostly tested MagLit on Chromium, Firefox and a few other mobile browsers and it was working fine so I wasn't aware of it breaking on Palemoon. I cannot change the UI as of now, but I can definitely look for ways to make it more compatible with Palemoon.

Thanks!

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-04-29, 10:43

NayamAmarshe wrote:
2022-04-29, 09:02
modern UI
This is the trouble when something that could've been rendered with a normal text input box as has been done for 25 years since HTML 4 is over complicated based on the non standard quirks that Chrome introduces in the name of 'modernity'. UI wise, there is nothing 'modern' about a mostly empty page with a single text input on it (Google search has looked that way since 1998), so why complicate it unnecessarily? I've seen other pages with more elements on them that render great across different browsers, including this one.