usbank.com has changed their "Bill Pay" page again resulting in annoyances Topic is solved

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

usbank.com has changed their "Bill Pay" page again resulting in annoyances

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-04-20, 12:30

USBank broke there last Bill Pay page change they did back in June or July of last year - but finally fixed it so the page was once again functional around late November of last year. So they finally got things right (the floating "Review & Pay" banner failed to work for months) which was actually a nice feature (once they got it to work finally) but they can't leave well-enough-alone....

They've once again changed this page (they are a prime example of an enterprise that makes software changes for the sake of "change" - making major changes to this page for the 2nd time in less than 10 months). While the page is at least functional - it is formatted badly with functions misaligned or truncated. I was hoping I'd get the same thing on FF - but unfortunately the same issue does not occur on the FF browser (otherwise it is an easy task to get the bank to fix a browser they are required to support based on their browser guidelines). I'll still claim it's FF that has the problems when I report the issues however.

I'm hoping that the "Errors" below will give a clue as to what the problem might be in regards to the formatting of the page. It would appear to me that if they just expanded the (centered) page so that it's a skosh wider the problem(s) would be resolved (at least in the case of truncation).

If there's anything I can expand upon (when I contact the bank) in regards to the errors below - please let me know.

Code: Select all

Timestamp: 4/20/2022 4:56:19 AM
Error: TypeError: r is null
Source File: https://onlinebanking.usbank.com/digital/moneymovement/billpay/_next/static/runtime/main-f9baeba688b164da819a.js
Line: 1
Timestamp: 4/20/2022 4:56:24 AM
Error: SyntaxError: expected expression, got '<'
Source File: https://onlinebanking.usbank.com/digital/moneymovement/billpay/undefined
Line: 1
Source Code:
<!DOCTYPE html><html lang="en"><head><link rel="preconnect" 
Timestamp: 4/20/2022 4:56:24 AM
Error: TypeError: c.LoggerWrapper.error is not a function
Source File: https://onlinebanking.usbank.com/digital/servicing/global-footer/main-59de2b40cd848f9684eb.js
Line: 50
Timestamp: 4/20/2022 4:56:39 AM
Error: TypeError: document.getElementById(...) is null
Source File: chrome://butwhymod/content/browser.js
Line: 28
Screen-shot example:
At least the page is functional as far as making payments (unlike the last time the page was changed)
At least the page is functional as far as making payments (unlike the last time the page was changed)
(The misalignment and truncation of drop-down does not occur in FF. The actual drop-down window is fine.)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: usbank.com has changed their "Bill Pay" page again resulting in annoyances

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-04-20, 15:10

Well the console output doesn't show much of anything, unfortunately. it seems like someone simply made an error in editing their scripting causing syntax errors, aborting the script.

Not sure if it'll do anything good when dealing with American banks but you could of course contact the web masters (if you can even get to them) about this issue.
Contrary to popular belief not every time something errors in Pale Moon it's actually the browser's fault. In fact, it's often not.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-04-20, 15:13

Thank you very much - I can at least pass this on when I contact the bank FWIW (I'll add this to the comments I've already written down to say to them). I always make attempts to contact problematic site web developers - but in most cases they're not that cooperative. All I can do is try....

Addendum: - Issue reported to USBank including a reference to "code errors in editing their scripting that is resulting in syntax errors causing scripts to be aborted". Persisting in trying to speak with site developers was a dead-end and trying to at least send a screen-shot was repeatedly rebuffed as not possible as well. So we'll see - they did eventually fix the floating "Review & Pay" banner that was broken for months the last time they made the previous major change to the Bill Pay page around 9-10 months ago (causing the page to be virtually non-functional) so hopefully we'll eventually get the same result this time around (at least the page is functional this time a round hence amount to just rendering issues). (I also suggested that making such frequent major website page changes isn't such a good idea when what is in place already does a really good job)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Figueroa
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Figueroa » 2022-04-22, 00:20

Moonchild wrote:
2022-04-20, 15:10
Not sure if it'll do anything good when dealing with American banks but you could of course contact the web masters (if you can even get to them) about this issue.
UnionBank is Pale Moon friendly. It used to throw up a warning about my browser and then would work anyway. Lately, doesn't even pop up the warning.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-04-22, 03:23

Figueroa wrote:
2022-04-22, 00:20
Moonchild wrote:
2022-04-20, 15:10
UnionBank is Pale Moon friendly. It used to throw up a warning about my browser and then would work anyway. Lately, doesn't even pop up the warning.
Unfortunately Union Bank has agreed to be purchased by USBank as of Sept 21, 2021 for approximately $8 billion (so irony of all ironies; the very USBank, with the problems discussed in this topic, is the very bank that is purchasing the very Union Bank you've mentioned here :shock: that functions properly in Pale Moon :roll:).

Union Banks announcement link: https://www.unionbank.com/about-us/news ... union-bank.

The merger is expected to be completed within the next 2-3 months - so the Union Bank that works well with Pale Moon will soon become the "change for change sake" USBank and therefore what works well will eventually disappear. :crazy: ... Wouldn't you know it - there seems to be a preponderance of things generally trending in the direction of getting worse whenever "change" happens.... :think:

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-04-29, 06:50

It appears the bank is working on it, since as of now the truncated checking balance now encompasses just the "cents" portion of the accounts balance - yet ironically what was actually working on Firefox before for the new page is now even worse (truncating all the digits except for the one leading digit) than it was previously on Pale Moon. :roll: :lol: I called them today to congratulate them on the slight improvement (on Pale Moon) - but at the same time suggested that perhaps they should consider returning to the former "new" Bill Pay page they changed to back in July/August of last year that they finally got to work on Pale Moon as it should toward the end of the year last year.

They're trying to fit too much in one line -- which they brag about in their banner that discusses the "newest" changes (this month) by saying the "amount" to pay is now (conveniently) on the same line - whoop-de-do, so (big deal), it's on the same line! It's better to get the formatting to display correctly and if two lines is what it takes to accomplish this - so be it! :roll:.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-05-20, 18:44

Amazing!! (I hope this is not temporary until they eventually figure out how to implement their most current new changes) - it appears the bank has actually taken my advice and returned to the previous major change of the "Bill Pay" page released (last August) that worked as opposed to keeping the current major change of this same page released just one month ago this very day. :thumbup:

In regards to my previous comments:
Pallid Planetoid wrote:
2022-04-20, 12:30
USBank broke there last Bill Pay page change they did back in June or July of last year - but finally fixed it so the page was once again functional around late November of last year. So they finally got things right (the floating "Review & Pay" banner failed to work for months) which was actually a nice feature (once they got it to work finally) but they can't leave well-enough-alone....
Pallid Planetoid wrote:
2022-04-29, 06:50
.... I called them today to congratulate them on the slight improvement (on Pale Moon) - but at the same time suggested that perhaps they should consider returning to the former "new" Bill Pay page they changed to back in July/August of last year that they finally got to work on Pale Moon as it should toward the end of the year last year....
I was totally shocked to observe that they have returned to the entire former major "Bill Pay" page update in its entirety which, as a result, not only includes a fix of the current formatting issues caused by the newest major "Bill Pay" page changes released the past month - but by returning to the former major change they have also returned to using the floating "Review & Pay" banner that was actually a good idea (as opposed to using buttons at the top and bottom of the page) once they figured out how to make it work (in Pale Moon) near the end of last year.

I had called them a couple more times (since my initial conversation with the bank) as well as had a discussion in person last week at a branch offering the same suggestion to simply return to the former major "Bill Pay" page change that had been working fine for the past 5 months (until this more recent major change was implemented - of which was at least functional but clearly not appealing as a result of numerous annoyances) - and of all things this is exactly what they are doing as of today. I'd like to think that perhaps I had something to do with this but then most likely others have complained about their most recent update (that the bank claimed were changes introduced as a result of feedback from the former change - which most likely stems from complaints prior to when they got the first major change, released in late summer of last year, to eventually function seamlessly in Pale Moon toward the end of last year).

So the "Bill Pay" page is once again free of problems (as result of returning to the former update) and will hopefully continue to be so, assuming they will stop messing with it... :think: -- hurray!!! :clap: -- I'll check the topic off as now resolved. :thumbup:

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-05-31, 14:35

Bad news once again (in my case at least - considering their updates are rolled out in stages) - this completely loony bank has once again returned to the (annoyance) issues recently discussed as a result of returning back to their most current problematic update (first released earlier this month). :crazy: (I've once again contacted the bank, 5th largest U.S. Bank btw, about this - but it seems they apparently reside in an alternate-universe of ignorance as to what they're even doing in as much as the issues continue to impact all 3 of the Windows browsers they (reportedly) support (i.e. Firefox, Edge and Chrome) amazingly enough :shock:.
Off-topic:
It's beyond comprehension a bank with currently 5.5 Billion assets (5th largest in U.S.) soon to have an asset total of 7.5 Billion (as a consequence of the Union Bank merger) literally practices such total abject incompetence! :roll: