Whatsapp is broke (web.whatsapp.com), so use the app ;(

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Disil07
Moon lover
Moon lover

Whatsapp is broke (web.whatsapp.com), so use the app ;(

Unread post by Disil07 » 2022-04-11, 07:07

It is completely broke. Since March 2022 they keep pushing the 'new technology' where you didn't required to have phone that is connected in internet. A great concept, and it works as expected in PM (when it was in testing/beta). Now that the beta phase is over, and the system is rolled out to everyone (without opt-out), its broke in Pale Moon. There are no workaround in PM (even with UA tweak).

This is console output. Even after I enabled WebAssembly, the CSP and the 'another connection.....' error is still there, and the screen is stuck in loading.

Code: Select all

Content Security Policy: Directive ‘child-src’ has been deprecated. Please use directive ‘worker-src’ to control workers, or directive ‘frame-src’ to control frames respectively.  
(unknown)
no native wasm support detected  
libsignal-protocol-c387645.min.js:1:3549
ReferenceError: WebAssembly is not defined[Learn More]  
libsignal-protocol-c387645.min.js:1:3623
Another connection wants to delete database 'wawc'. Closing db now to resume the delete request.  
vendor1~bootstrap_qr.d16f7b9f073b657b8f2a.js:7:54232
So... Guess what? Use the WhatsApp Beta app from MS Store. Why? Because the 'beta' app on MS Store AT LEAST not use the dreaded electron, they use another shitty tech: UWP :crazy:

Edit: I use PM 29.4.5, and try it on safe mode, new profile, bla bla bla. it still not work.
Debian 12 Bookworm - KDE Plasma 5.27
Intel Celeron N5100 - 4 gigs of RAM - 256 gigs of SSD

I can barely speak english, so bear that in mind when talking to me

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Whatsapp is broke (web.whatsapp.com), so use the app ;(

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-04-11, 08:51

I've been getting this -

Code: Select all

Another connection wants to delete database 'wawc'. Closing db now to resume the delete request.  
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-04-11, 12:49

Make sure to enable WASM in the preferences. It seems to rely on it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Disil07
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Disil07 » 2022-04-11, 14:55

I've enabled wasm, and eventually enabling service workers and WebComponents. Still nothing.

andikay
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by andikay » 2022-04-11, 23:11

It's really weird that some people have this issue; I can still use WA web without any problems on PM 29.4.5.1 32bit portable.

Disil07
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Disil07 » 2022-04-12, 04:48

andikay wrote:
2022-04-11, 23:11
It's really weird that some people have this issue; I can still use WA web without any problems on PM 29.4.5.1 32bit portable.
Do you 'can' access WA web without your phone connected to internet? If u need to use WA web with phone connected to wifi then it works. I was talking about the 'new mechanic' one. In the following months more and more people are offered or forced to use the new ones, which does not work on PM.

For those who still have a working WA web, plesse don't press 'accept' when prompted to 'update Whatsapp web', because its broken in PM, and you cannot go back to the old mechanics.

andikay
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by andikay » 2022-04-12, 17:22

Oh yeah, I use the one that has to verify with phone first. I just checked again and now I have the prompt to update :D of course I never click "accept" - there is actually no way to deny it, just to not accept it.

andikay
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by andikay » 2022-04-15, 23:37

It says now that the old version of WA expires in 4 days...so it won't work anymore for any of us in PM very soon :X.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-04-16, 09:57

Were you expecting their web interface to remain unchanged forever in an era of rabid release every fortnight?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

andikay
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by andikay » 2022-04-16, 13:27

What kind of question is that? I did not expect anything, I was simply stating a fact.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-04-16, 14:13

You should have known that refusing to update was a temporary measure at best, given that them and various web devs are determined to chase the latest gimmick that shows up every fortnight on Chrome.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-04-16, 15:46

I think the obvious answer to this trouble is simple. Look up who created Whatsapp and who currently owns it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-04-16, 23:40

andikay wrote:
2022-04-15, 23:37
It says now that the old version of WA expires in 4 days...so it won't work anymore for any of us in PM very soon :X.
It's admirable that you resisted the pressure to give in as long as possible, but experience shows that such workarounds are always phased out eventually. What's even more terrible is that they have so many people conditioned to accept such a situation as normal, and to see expecting that to happen as a matter of course as "common sense" or "pragmatism." The more people give into that mentality, the worse things will get.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

andikay
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by andikay » 2022-04-17, 14:59

Well it would not be an issue if PM worked with the new one...so, yeah, no problem for people who use the common browsers :D. This is what I like about reddit, they actually kept the old version via old.reddit.com and that is perfectly useable and makes a lot more sense than the "new" design which is just really confusing and terrible to use in general.

daniel-p96

Unread post by daniel-p96 » 2022-05-08, 21:48

Wrote to Whataspp support about this.
After sugesting to clear browser cache and delete cookies they closed the issue with "That browser isn't supported."

So don't expect a fix from them.
Pale Moon 29.4.6
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon 64-bit