Unable to use Discord. Topic is solved

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Mike_Walsh
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: Unable to use Discord.

Unread post by Mike_Walsh » 2022-09-21, 11:29

Lurker_01 wrote:
2022-09-21, 11:18
Discord works again now, but due to calc in color, it is black/white, UXP #1765
Hm. Black & white I can live with, but.....no audio or video support, though, I notice. Do we have to tweak anything in "about:config" to get this working, or does Pale Moon not support these..?

(I HATE having to edit about:config..!)

Mike. ;)
Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2022-09-21, 12:32

You mean microphone and camera support? Nope, Pale Moon intentionally doesn't support WebRTC, which is required for that.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

krkkrk
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by krkkrk » 2022-09-27, 20:14

And it is broken again with PM31.3.

Lurker_01
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Lurker_01 » 2022-09-27, 22:00

Just coincided with the new PM release, broken on the older one too.

Code: Select all

SyntaxError: invalid identity escape in regular expression

Mike_Walsh
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Mike_Walsh » 2022-12-06, 23:27

Moonchild wrote:
2022-04-04, 09:40
I recommend using the Discord desktop application if you have the resources to do so, anyway. It is ultimately what their service targets. The web interface (in any browser) will be limited.
Sorry for necro-posting (!!), but the behaviour under Linux is actually the complete reverse of this.

In the desktop app, all you basically get is chat. You cannot select either webcam or microphone UNLESS it can be set in the OS as a global, "default" option first. (This is also identical behaviour under ALL 'zilla-related browsers, however loose that "relation" might be.)

Any of the Chromium-based clones, you get a drop-down listing every audio/video-related component on your system, allowing you to mix'n'match components to suit yourself (I often want to use my Logitech c920 'cam, along with the boom microphone on my SOMiC headset. Good luck trying to accomplish this under any 'zilla-based browser). And then there's the dichotomy of insisting on the "default" microphone when comparing laptops with desktops. I appreciate that desktop users ARE in the minority these days - laptops all have a built-in microphone somewhere on the chassis. How the hell can you specify a "default" item when by the very nature of the beast, said "default" item does NOT in fact physically exist to start with? :evil:

Especially when any user-selected, 'add-on' microphone invariably has far superior audio reproduction qualities in the first place. That's WHY we like to buy our own microphones; manufacturer-supplied items are invariably cheap & crappy.

We may be in the minority, but no self-respecting developer will deliberately alienate a percentage of his/her potential users.....especially when it's a simple case of allowing the user to actually have a choice.

(Ah, hell. I'm not "having a pop" at YOU, Moonchild. You choose to not support WebRTC, fine; your decision. I've no problem with that. I'm just "venting" at developer short-sightedness in general.....and in particular, I simply do NOT understand Mozilla's logic on this one.)

Having "one of those days", mate.

*Rant over!*

Mike. :lol:
Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2022-12-07, 05:52

Yeah, I heard Discord's "desktop" app is crappy and a lot of users are complaining about the Chromium underneath its Electron not being kept up-to-date. So while the Electron app is maybe what Discord intends everyone to use for desktop, just straight up using Discord on your own Chrome browser is apparently a way better experience. It's so ironic... It was supposed to be the other way around, but these Discord devs manage to amaze us.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-12-07, 05:59

jobbautista9 wrote:
2022-12-07, 05:52
Chromium underneath its Electron
Don't know why people even bother with Electron, as I see it you can make a desktop shortcut to their website and it will work the same way.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX