mullvad.net

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
RunRun22
New to the forum
New to the forum

mullvad.net

Unread post by RunRun22 » 2022-04-01, 20:49

Hello,

The home page for mullvad vpn, mullvad.net, has two options that produce blank pages when clicked/selected. The "My account" option and the "Get started" option.

Both options render properly in Firefox, current version.

I've tried this both in PaleMoon Safe Mode and PaleMoon with my addons enabled with the same result.

The other options on the page seem to work correctly. I say seem because these other options rendered correctly when selected, the information seemed complete and correct, but I would not know if there were something missing.

I am using the Mate desktop on Debian 11 with all updates applied and Palemoon 29.4.5.1 downloaded from the palemmon home site.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: mullvad.net

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-04-01, 22:54

Please try and include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2022-04-01, 23:52

Decided to take a look myself and it's the import-as-a-function thing:

Code: Select all

SyntaxError: expected expression, got keyword 'import'
(or, at least, it's one of the problems.)

Old_Radio
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Old_Radio » 2022-04-04, 02:50

It is a Mullvad problem. Also happens with Pale Moon 2.9.4.4. Also affected is Mullvad Home Page tab for 'Servers' and at the very top of the page, the tab for 'Check for Leaks'. No Web Console output under 'CSS'. Mullvad has broken the last 2 items b4 and fixed them after I sent them a msg. Will send them a msg on 4Apr22 about it.
Win 8.1 x64 or x32, Win 7 SP1 x64. Nothing hanging on Pale Moon except uBO and P M Commander.

Old_Radio
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Old_Radio » 2022-04-06, 17:13

This is the answer I received from Mullvad 'support' in reply to the current problems with the Mullvad site.....
-----------------------------------------------------

Sanny <support@mullvad.net>
Re: Blank Pages from Mullvad Home Page
Mon, Apr 4 • 7:58 PM
Hello,

Pale moon is based on a very old Firefox version (38) and will have problems all across the internet.

We will currently not spend any time on making changes to the homepage to adjust it to work in Pale moon, since we do see much more value in spending the time somewhere else.

I would recommend you to just use a different browser if you need to access the webpage.

But from quickly looking at the problem it seems to be related to this:

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProd ... ssues/1691

-Sanny
------------------------------------------------------
Moonchild, Any thoughts on this?
Win 8.1 x64 or x32, Win 7 SP1 x64. Nothing hanging on Pale Moon except uBO and P M Commander.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-04-06, 18:31

Old_Radio wrote:
2022-04-06, 17:13
Moonchild, Any thoughts on this?
Old_Radio wrote:
Pale moon is based on a very old Firefox version (38) and will have problems all across the internet.
They are wrong.
Old_Radio wrote:
it seems to be related to this:

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProd ... ssues/1691
So they are aware of using ecmascript dynamic module import being the problem, and choose to use it anyway (even if that is never a technological requirement for any website that can't be addressed with feature detection or standard loading of module scripts).
Old_Radio wrote:
We will currently not spend any time on making changes to the homepage to adjust it to work in Pale moon
And there is your answer. They just don't want to be browser-agnostic. Period. Nothing we can do here since we don't have a magic wand that makes code suddenly appear and work.

Patches welcome?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Utnapishtim
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Utnapishtim » 2022-06-11, 19:23

I came here to make a post about this and I see I wasn't the first to notice this or get this self-important mainsplaining from their support. (They went from a functioning site to a non-standard-compliant framework, but that's anybody's fault but theirs)

I'm not too surprised since they partnered with Firefox recently, so I guess that makes PM and its users their enemy or something. Good riddance...?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-06-11, 19:28

Utnapishtim wrote:
2022-06-11, 19:23
they partnered with Firefox recently,
Oh they did? Well that certainly explains their shift in attitude then. I guess they now feel entitled to decide only "preferred" browsers are welcome.

Old_Radio
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Old_Radio » 2022-06-12, 19:27

they partnered with Firefox recently
No, Mullvad did the 'partner stuff' over a year ago. They do the VPN that Firefox uses, emphasizing WireGuard. Mullvad now seems to like 'cute' apps, and having a store front in London UK last year! Seems they also want to 'reinvent the wheel' with some of the stuff they play with. And, Mullvad no longer supports Win 7, 8, or 8.1 in their Windows app, just the current Win 10 and 11.