Discover Bank (portal.discover.com) Navigation Banner missing in PM Topic is solved

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Discover Bank (portal.discover.com) Navigation Banner missing in PM

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-03-30, 07:54

When using the Credit Card "View Activity" page on the Discover Bank website the "Navigation" banner is missing at the top of the page in Pale Moon. Because of this there isn't any way to appropriately navigate from this page including the inability to logout of the website - requiring the user to use the browser back-page as the only way to access other pages and/or log-off the website.

Logon URL: https://portal.discover.com/customersvc ... n?Aff=Bank (included in the event a Discover Bank customer would want to test for this).
Credit Card "View Activity" Page link (can only be accessed if logged-in): https://card.discover.com/cardmembersvc ... ty#/recent (accessed via clicking on the "View Activity" link of the Credit Card section on the first page after logging into the site).

Only "error" in Error Console:

Code: Select all

Timestamp: 3/30/2022 12:14:09 AM
Error: ReferenceError: customElements is not defined
Source File: https://card.discover.com/web/navigation/ui/Navigation-wc-8615c05717f9d71834b2.min.js
Line: 2
Screen-shot examples using Firefox with the "Navigation" banner at the top of the page and Pale Moon absent the "Navigation" banner:
Firefox browser example displaying the "Navigation" banner at the top of the page (pointers from below the banner illustrates the banner that is missing in Pale Moon):
There are a number of links available in this banner at the top of the page to navigate from this page within the website
There are a number of links available in this banner at the top of the page to navigate from this page within the website
Pale Moon browser example - the banner consistently fails to render at the top of the page (precluding a way to navigate from the page including logging-off the site):
Absent the banner at the top of the page the only option for the user to exit the page is to use the browser back-page
Absent the banner at the top of the page the only option for the user to exit the page is to use the browser back-page
This issue is tested and confirmed in Pale Moon using Safe-Mode.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Discover Bank (portal.discover.com) Navigation Banner missing in PM

Unread post by gepus » 2022-03-30, 09:14

Search the forum for:

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-03-30, 15:20

Thank you for the heads-up - I've got it!! --- we are sadly dealing with the ever present and growing "Google disease" :thumbdown: - I'll know now not to post issues involving "customElements" going forward. :silent: (as this issue will presumably be dealt with at some point as referenced below) -- so I'll check-off this topic as "resolved" pending further (planned) developments....

What I gather is --- this has been for sometime an ever present and growing issue for the past 2-3+ years (based on various input on the board) and has perhaps been an issue in some manner far longer since in the "Open Letter to Web Developers" (referenced below) there are footnotes going back 7 years.... :think:

A few relevant posts suggest (links referenced below) that at some point Pale Moon will be dealing with these relevant issues along with all the tangential ramifications involving "web compatibility".

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23624&p=181942#p181942
... we are in the process of implementing the Google "WebComponents" including customElements. This is slated for Milestone 29. In the meantime, you may wish to contact the developers and inform them that despite it almost being true, not all browsers are Chrome.
Posted Jan 15, 2020 - it is understandable if this plan "slated for Milestone 29" has perhaps been temporarily placed on hold :?: ....

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=26286&p=209638#p209668
,,, "CustomElements" not functional in Pale Moon at this time...
Posted Feb 23, 2021 - "not... at this time" would suggest an ultimate resolution down the pike at some point....

An Open Letter to Web Developers:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24004
".... While it is absolutely true that it is in our direct interest that web developers don't use something we are still working on implementing ourselves..."
Posted Mar 17, 2020 - (based on the above) I'm assuming Pale Moon is "still working on implementing" a resolution to these issues... (at least for the long-term even if its been temporarily de-railed for obvious reasons)

Point is, it would appear (based on comments reference above) the long-term goal is for Pale Moon to get this issue ultimately resolved.... So then, for the present, there's no point in posting problems that involve "CustomElement" errors, I get it!!! :shh: .... (perhaps including this information in the "Web Compatibility Support" board template might be something to consider :idea:)

So on that point above, I first considered it might be a good idea to send this "Open Letter to Web Developers" to this bank (it certainly is warranted in my opinion) - but then if the plan is to still to deal with the "Google disease" at some point, might it be better to not bother and wait for Pale Moon to address these issues? (assuming this is still part of the grand plan for Pale Moon). Let me be clear, I'll gladly send this "Open Letter" to the Discover Bank if Pale Moon support is of the opinion it would be a good idea to do so. :think: -- it goes without saying that it certainly would be nice to have web developers, seriously, take into account the excellent points discussed in the "Open Letter".
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2022-03-30, 20:16

I'm wondering if I should release a dummy customElements extension like I did for navigator.credentials, just so scripts won't crash because they didn't check to see if customElements was supported before trying to use it. It won't make any customElements objects show up, but it will at least give such badly written websites a chance to show something other than a blank page.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-03-30, 21:37

You can try but customElements is very much an all-or-nothing thing, and just slotting in a stub for it likely won't do much to help, and will just have it break a few lines down when it actually tries to use custom elements. But it might be an interesting experiment to see how essential it actually is on websites or if it's a matter of "we use this as a matter of course but don't actually use its features"... :think:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Sablesword
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Sablesword » 2022-04-27, 13:55

Pallid Planetoid wrote:
2022-03-30, 15:20

So on that point above, I first considered it might be a good idea to send this "Open Letter to Web Developers" to this bank (it certainly is warranted in my opinion) - but then if the plan is to still to deal with the "Google disease" at some point, might it be better to not bother and wait for Pale Moon to address these issues? (assuming this is still part of the grand plan for Pale Moon). Let me be clear, I'll gladly send this "Open Letter" to the Discover Bank if Pale Moon support is of the opinion it would be a good idea to do so. :think: -- it goes without saying that it certainly would be nice to have web developers, seriously, take into account the excellent points discussed in the "Open Letter".
I haven't been able to find a point of contact with Discover Card for sending them things like bug reports or the Open Letter. Their site is very cagey about it, and want you to either call a phone# or use a chatbot.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-04-27, 21:32

Sablesword wrote:
2022-04-27, 13:55
Their site is very cagey about it, and want you to either call a phone# or use a chatbot.
Welcome to the modern web.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

bgstack15
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by bgstack15 » 2022-05-02, 12:00

Huh, I have an account at discover.com and thought maybe I had screwed something up with ublock origin. I would have to use my history to find a logout url on discover.com in the recent past.

Regarding contacting the web admins, I usually try webadmin@example.com or just admin@example.com. Maybe you could see if those send successfully or just bounce back. Now, about the phone, I know that with another bank of mine, I did use the phone and got directed to a small web support team that actually understood technical terms. I can't recall that they actually solved whatever bizarre problem I had, but they at least were able to hold a conversation with me about it.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-05-02, 13:57

For now you just have to use the browser back-arrow in order to back-page to a page that will render the banner that provides links to navigate the site including logging off the site. Some pages render the links to navigate the site and some pages do not (the back-page function does a good job of resolving the navigation issues where they occur).

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-05-08, 02:42

Just an FYI -
Off-topic:
in regards to customElements ("off-topic" because this has nothing specifically to do with Discover bank - but however, does have to do with "customElements" -- hence perhaps worth mentioning) - that is, assuming this wide-spread issue will presumably, at some point, be addressed (possibly v31 or there-abouts) - thus -- I'm just mentioning this in passing (off-topic to Discover but definitely on-topic regarding the very pervasive "customElements" issue that exists).

It seems like a whole lot of msn.com pages appear to be using "customElements" based on how ubiquitous blank (empty) msn.com pages are occurring (at least from my experience).

Example:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... ar-AAX20sh

Timestamp: 5/7/2022 7:18:26 PM
Source File: https://assets.msn.com/bundles/v1/views/latest/microsoft.8b573f268df2bc3b472c.js
Line: 2633
Timestamp: 5/7/2022 7:18:26 PM
Error: TypeError: document.getElementById(...) is null
Source File: chrome://butwhymod/content/browser.js
Line: 28
I didn't want to start a new topic in regards to an established issue - but thought it noteworthy to point out the degree to which msn.com appears to be relying on "customElements" in an increasingly big way.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-08, 04:25

Off-topic:
I'm not surprised Microsoft is using Google WebComponents on MSN now. I mean.. it was totally predictable.
And no, we won't have that finished any time soon in UXP, because it pretty much redefines how web documents work. We're working on it, and have been for over a year - it's just not something we've been able to pull off yet as a second problem with it is that it's an all-or-nothing thing and that's very very difficult to develop on as you can't release a progressive state of it and have to work "blind" in most of the development.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-05-08, 14:45

^
Off-topic:
Understood - and thank you very much for taking the time to provide the feedback on where we stand on this. :thumbup: (If I may be so bold as to speak for all of us -- we'll continue to use as many other sources [than msn.com] to get the equivalent information off the web in the meantime 8-))

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-05-12, 07:28

An FYI:
Off-topic:
Had a discussion with Discover bank yesterday regarding a dialog (to delete/change a scheduled transaction) that displays for just 2 seconds and then disappears (not nearly enough time to read even a part of the dialog - much less respond to it) that btw, is not a problem on Pale Moon but is a problem on every one of the Windows browsers they do support. :shock: That is, ALL THREE of the Windows browsers (Firefox, Edge and believe it or not Chrome) they of course support (along with the rest of the world unfortunately) -- has this same exact issue - now, I ask you, ain't that a kick-in-the-pants?

And here's the Coup de grâce, as I mentioned, there is absolutely no problem at all on Pale Moon regarding this (disappearing) dialog interface bug.... (the only reason I discovered this issue is because my wife sometimes uses Firefox and wasn't able to interface with a disappearing dialog) --- so after calling the bank and clearing all cookies and cache as they always request be done (for 2 of the supported browsers, FF/Chrome, while on the phone with them) to no avail (btw, also tested Edge later on, out of curiosity, which I found has the same problem as well) --- I suggested to them, how about supporting the Pale Moon browser that is not only far better in so many ways than the "standard" Chrome browser but happens to be the only browser that your web-sight actually does work on (in regards to the issue at hand) as opposed to the Windows browsers you do support all of which do not work? :) (hah!... that'll be the day!! :eh:).
Oh - btw,
Off-topic:
As an (addendum), afterthought, concerning another issue that I discovered weeks ago with this (Discover) bank -- there is also a "rogue" login interface box that displays randomly on some pages (unexpectedly) while navigating the site that their support team admits isn't supposed to happen (that you can simply dismiss as it's not intentional) that does not occur on Pale Moon either - this is something they've been aware of and have been working on (specifically w/ the FF browser that I know of) for weeks now and still (presently) have not yet solved the issue (not sure if this occurs on all supported browsers - but definitely does on FF).