instagram.com videos cannot be played anymore when media.autoplay.enabled == false

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
andikay
Moon lover
Moon lover

instagram.com videos cannot be played anymore when media.autoplay.enabled == false

Unread post by andikay » 2022-03-27, 14:26

A few weeks ago I noticed that I cannot play videos on the instagram website anymore, which used to work just fine before. There are two types of videos on instagram, one with dedicated player buttons and one with a big play button in the middle and the mute button in the bottom right. The first type still works flawlessly, but the second type cannot be played anymore when the setting media.autoplay.enabled is set to false. I can click the "play" button in the middle of the video but nothing happens.

Example for the first type: https://www.instagram.com/p/CZ8-5l0AoRQ/
Example for the second type: https://www.instagram.com/p/CRjQPRogJjd/

I have tested this with my usual PM profile as well as a completely fresh profile, PM version is 29.4.5 32bit (the issue existed with 29.4.4 as well). I first thought it might be caused by one of my addons, but after I got a separate PM portable with a completely fresh profile and set media.autoplay.enabled to false the behavior could be reproduced instantly. I checked the error console and the developer console, but no errors are displayed. I don't have this issue with Firefox with autoplay disabled (media.autoplay.default == 5).

basicuser
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: instagram.com videos cannot be played anymore when media.autoplay.enabled == false

Unread post by basicuser » 2022-03-27, 22:38

I’m on PM 30.0.0 on Mint 20.3 and have no problem with either link.

You might try using the add on “Autoplay Toggle” found in add ons under Extensions: Other.

It toggles two config settings to true or false at the same time. They are: media.autoplay.allowscripted and media.autoplay.enabled.

It will put a handy button on the navigation toolbar.

Good luck.
Stay away from crowds.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: instagram.com videos cannot be played anymore when media.autoplay.enabled == false

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-03-28, 06:02

I get the same result for your 2nd video (https://www.instagram.com/p/CRjQPRogJjd/) with media.autoplay.enabled pref set to "False" (I signed-up with Instagram just to test this - otherwise not an app I'm interested in :thumbdown: personally)

I happen to use the the add-on “Autoplay Toggle” mentioned by basicuser above of which I can leave the setting Toggled to "OFF" which will then not "auto" play the video (which is what I presume you want) but will play by simply toggling the extension to "ON" - giving you the (convenient) control you presumably want. :think: (FYI: this extension conveniently toggles the value in the about:config pref setting "media.autoplay.enabled")

Note: I'm currently on Pale Moon v29.4.5 -- which may be critical at this point based on what version you (andikay) happen to be using.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2022-03-29, 20:19

If you're like me and prefer to have the default behavior to not allow autoplay except for on select domains, try the extension Autoplay Whitelist. By default autoplay is disabled everywhere and with the same kind of control mechanism as Autoplay Toggle, you just click the button and that allows the domain you're on only to then autoplay.

andikay
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by andikay » 2022-03-29, 21:20

I just created the topic so the developer(s) can take a look at it and hopefully fix it in the upcoming release =). I don't want to have to manually toggle it on/off and I don't want autoplay at all, no matter which domain. But I want the play button to work when I press it :D.