If Anyone Else Is Having Trouble With Citi

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: If Anyone Else Is Having Trouble With Citi

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2022-07-08, 17:46

pshipwrite wrote:
2022-07-08, 12:13
I resolved my Citi login issues by updating the user agent override to the latest Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR) user agent shown below.

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:102.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/102.0
I can confirm that this override works on my system as well. :thumbup:
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-07-09, 11:36

I'll update the default override Pale moon uses for Citi (again ;-)). Let's hope they keep it working for longer this time.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2022-07-09, 14:03

I assume they will keep it working for at least approx 1 year (the time Firefox ESR v102.0 will be officially supported).

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2022-07-09, 15:37

Moonchild wrote:
2022-07-09, 11:36
I'll update the default override Pale moon uses for Citi (again ;-)). Let's hope they keep it working for longer this time.
If this helps, I just bumped the FX version of the current PM override for Citi to 102.0 and it works.

Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:102.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/102.0 (Pale Moon)
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-07-09, 16:50

Many thanks to everyone that take the time to keep tabs on the next UA Override iteration that works on PM. :thumbup:

Reading through the more recent posts (as they arrive) my results are (that btw, covers two PM updates hence updates are presumably not a factor, see details below):
Not working (for the past 2-3 weeks):
Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:81.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/81.0 (Pale Moon) (presumably the previous "default" for PM)

Do all work (as a result of reading topic):
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.12
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:102.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/102.0
Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:102.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/102.0 (Pale Moon)

Going with last (more generic) override (is what makes sense to me)....
The above results is on my Desktop (Win7) -
Off-topic:
during heat spells (over 95 degrees) I shut-down my Win10 laptop (due to overheating) in favor of the Desktop) of which we're currently experiencing
- I will try the last Override on my laptop when the weather cools (and update this post at that time)....
pshipwrite wrote:
2022-07-07, 22:00
LAR Grizzly, my experience was different from yours. As noted in my original post, earlier today, before updating to v31.1.1, I successfully logged onto the Citi website using PM v31.1.0 and your useragent override, listed below

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:97.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/97.0
Later, after updating to v31.1.1, and making no other changes to Pale Moon, I was unsuccessful in logging onto Citi.
I don't believe the Pale Moon version is relevant to whether or not a UA Override either stops working as before and/or when a new UA Override starts working for the Citibank Login page. And I've found this to be the case in the past as well in regards to PM updates - so I rather believe that it's actually very likely just coincidence in regards to when PM updates occur corresponding to when the Citibank Login fails to work and that it all comes down to something to do with an issue on Citibank's end (that seem to randomly come and go for periods of time).... To this point, I've had the Citibank login break for periods of time and then at some point start working again that does not appear to be related to causation other than Citibank itself (no updates to PM occurred or browser pref changes made during the interim when the login issues are temporarily present).

I update PM in a timely manner (very soon after updates get released) and this has been my results recently:
Regarding: v31.1.0 (2022-06-07) - Citibank was working early on during the time using this PM release. Sometime in the 2nd or 3rd week of using this same release Citibank login started persistently failing and has continued to fail using v31.1.1 (2022-07-07) which is no surprise as this (most current) release is basically a "security" release that would not be expected to impact website compatibility for the most part -- I've become more like TwoTankAmin over time - I don't have the time either -- so when this login issue once again starts happening, I simply use Firefox that I find consistently works (and am please to know I can eventually always return to my preferred PM browser at which time the sites login page once again works in PM).

Happily - now that I know a UA Override has been found that works I'll be going back to using Pale Moon for Citibank (for my wife's benefit - I just leave a notation in my start-page link to the Citibank Login page that states "May require Firefox browser to login" to cover whenever this login issue starts occurring for her.... I certainly don't want or expect her to be messing with browser pref settings in about:config of course).

To be honest, I find it very weird that, in regards to the Citibank Login page, UA Overrides work for awhile and then eventually need to be changed - based on what Citibank's latest site login iteration that is in place; anyone have any ideas why this is the case? This seems a uniquely persistent issue with Citibank (only impacting their login page).

I will say, I'm very pleased to know that we can apparently always continue to use Citibank in PM in in as much as it always comes down to simply finding another UA Override that works :thumbup: (as opposed to an issue that cannot be addressed, that would in these events sadly preclude the ability to use the site at all in PM).
Off-topic:
TwoTankAmin wrote:
2022-07-08, 14:52
I began banking with Citi for my parents when it was dial-up...
I've got you beat :) - I've been using Citibank for 65 years as of this year, way way (~25 years) before personal computers (starting w/ the "peanut" as I recall) even existed and ~35+ years before the Internet and "dial-up" (that I remember well).... ;) (compared to when I started using Citibank, you were still a spring-chicken when you were helping your parents using a dial-up for Citibank... :lol:)

I've had very long-term contacts with Citibank that have allowed me to use specific features that, over the years, I can't get with any other banks....
Addendum regarding Win10 (needed to use laptop for a while anyway so...):
The Citibank login page that started persistently producing login errors starting from around 10-15 days post v31.1.0 (2022-06-07) until today using the UAO "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:97.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/97.0" throughout this time-frame is now currently working as of changing the UAO to the new "Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:102.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/102.0 (Pale Moon)" setting.

Oh, btw - in regards to my question above as to WHY this is happening with Citibank exclusively limited to only the login - at first glance an easy answer would be "UserAgent sniffing" as the cause - but the browser version difference (i.e. from 97 to 102) seems much too restrictive if it were this and then it begs the question why not an obvious message prompt if this were the cause as opposed to just getting an undefined "error" (which would lead one to presume the login values entered were incorrect).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-07-13, 20:51

Just as I stated above in my previous post (as highlighted in red, below, as well as previous context that includes relevant conundrums that would be nice to have answers to...):
Pallid Planetoid wrote:
2022-07-09, 16:50
I don't believe the Pale Moon version is relevant to whether or not a UA Override either stops working as before and/or when a new UA Override starts working for the Citibank Login page. And I've found this to be the case in the past as well in regards to PM updates - so I rather believe that it's actually very likely just coincidence in regards to when PM updates occur corresponding to when the Citibank Login fails to work and that it all comes down to something to do with an issue on Citibank's end (that seem to randomly come and go for periods of time).... To this point, I've had the Citibank login break for periods of time and then at some point start working again that does not appear to be related to causation other than Citibank itself (no updates to PM occurred or browser pref changes made during the interim when the login issues are temporarily present).

To be honest, I find it very weird that, in regards to the Citibank Login page, UA Overrides work for awhile and then eventually need to be changed - based on what Citibank's latest site login iteration that is in place; anyone have any ideas why this is the case? This seems a uniquely persistent issue with Citibank (only impacting their login page).

Oh, btw - in regards to my question above as to WHY this is happening with Citibank exclusively limited to only the login - at first glance an easy answer would be "UserAgent sniffing" as the cause - but the browser version difference (i.e. from 97 to 102) seems much too restrictive if it were this and then it begs the question why not an obvious message prompt if this were the cause as opposed to just getting an undefined "error" (which would lead one to presume the login values entered were incorrect).
I've found as of today (not sure when the change actually took place) - that the "Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:102.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/102.0 (Pale Moon)" UA Override setting (that was working since my last post above just 4 days ago) now fails to get the login to work as before (Note: this is using Win7 as it's too hot for me to be using my laptop w/ Win10 right now - but when I tested Win10 4 days ago both systems worked with the same UA Override so I assume this remains the case. Perhaps someone using Win10 can test for what I've found out as referenced below.).

I'm once again getting the proverbial failed login message (when the UAO stops helping with login) using the UA Override referenced above:
When Citi fails to login using PM.png
which always gives the false impression the userid and/or password was entered incorrectly (I made three attempts).

So back to the UA Override musical chairs and what I've found of the 3 that were all formerly working the past few days (see previous post) is that - only this setting works now:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.12

So perhaps this Override is going to fool Citibank (as to whatever Citibank does to screw things up) for some time now and thus should be the one to be added as the PM default UA Override for Citibank.... :think:
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-07-13, 22:37

Or maybe I'm just getting tired of playing musical chairs and should remove any override if they keep changing their checks on a daily basis. Then it will be up to the citibank customers to deal with the issue with sasuga or what not.
Or maybe change banks.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2022-07-14, 01:43

Moonchild wrote:
2022-07-13, 22:37
Or maybe I'm just getting tired of playing musical chairs and should remove any override if they keep changing their checks on a daily basis.
You probably should just remove it from PM since it changes so often. If you leave it, we'll just be overriding it in a few weeks anyway! :crazy:

I have Open With Edge, IE, Chrome, and More 4.1.0 installed for pesky sites (Citi being the only one I currently have trouble with). If Citi gives me trouble, I just click on the "Open With" button to open the page in SeaMonkey. It's a little annoying, but not as annoying as playing around with general useragent strings. Citi needs to get their act together.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-07-14, 09:01

Moonchild wrote:
....Or maybe change banks.
Off-topic:
Besides my relationship (checking account) with this bank for over 65 years and besides the fact I get interest checking w/out any required minimum balance or any other requirements of any kind (the only major world bank I'm aware of that offers this) -- Citibank is also the only bank out of the top five U.S. Banks (based on assets) that does not charge U.S. Retail Banking customers any consumer overdraft fees, returned item fees, and overdraft protection transfer fees. I could go on.... (i.e. they've got CC's w/ features that no other banks offer: 1) I've got a CC account w/ Citi that charges zero fees/penalties of any kind, that means no late fees etc etc and also 2) I have a CC w/ Citi that automatically earns 5% back on whatever category, no limits on categories, you spend most on per month that no other bank currently offers as well... and there's more, but I'll stop.) So I'm probably going to put up with the inconvenience of either updating UA Overrides or alternately use another browser (which is easy enough using the "Open With Edge, IE, Chrome, and More 4.1.0" add-on that LAR Grizzly mentioned above by simply doing a right-click on the banks login page to select one of many other browsers that consistently work with the Citibank login page.) ;)
Moonchild wrote:
Or maybe I'm just getting tired of playing musical chairs and should remove any override if they keep changing their checks on a daily basis....
I'm expecting this new (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.12) override to last longer than others have in the past (I'll report back when it doesn't - or if it is still working in 30 days specific to the suggestion below).

How about committing to using this new setting as a default in the event it works for 30 days past today's post date? :cool: (keeping in mind there are users that simply do not mess with about:config pref settings)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-07-14, 09:35

Pallid Planetoid wrote:
2022-07-14, 09:01
Off-topic:
Besides my relationship (checking account) with this bank
You'll have to excuse my expression of frustration. I'm sure you have plenty of reasons to use them.
Pallid Planetoid wrote:
SeaMonkey/2.53.12
I can change it to that, but if that stops working too then I'm just giving up on citi as i can't keep chasing a moving target every week no matter how important one site is deemed to be.
I added it to the dynamic overrides now (which will override browser defaults but not user-set; this won't be visible in preferences though. Check the devtools "networking" to check set useragent strings that are being sent on individual requests). Dynamic updates tend to be picked up within a day.

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2022-07-17, 02:48

I just visited my Citi account today and found that they're revamping the whole website. When logging off, the site even flagged me telling me about the upcoming "new look" and extra features. The roller coaster ride has started! :D
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-07-17, 18:08

LAR Grizzly wrote:
2022-07-17, 02:48
I just visited my Citi account today and found that they're revamping the whole website. When logging off, the site even flagged me telling me about the upcoming "new look" and extra features. The roller coaster ride has started! :D
Don't they understand that banks serve a lot of people who don't necessarily like change to something they are familiar with like their banking website? XD
My banks haven't actually made major changes to their interface in years and that's a good thing. It makes it easy and fast to find exactly what you need.

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2022-07-17, 22:04

Moonchild wrote:
2022-07-17, 18:08
My banks haven't actually made major changes to their interface in years and that's a good thing. It makes it easy and fast to find exactly what you need.
But, it's not pretty! Citi Bank's site is now prettier. We all need a pretty bank site. :mrgreen:

Also, Citi's site gives my computer some much needed exercise. The CPU fan gets a good workout while I do my banking!
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-07-17, 23:38

LAR Grizzly wrote:
2022-07-17, 22:04
The CPU fan gets a good workout while I do my banking!
I bet they will tell you that all that extra CPU time improves your security too! :D

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-08-02, 14:53

Sorry to have to bring this up Moonchild....

Based on my comments in this topic here HERE (in this topic)....

You had very graciously said HERE (in this topic) that you would go with this override:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.12 as referenced below:
Moonchild wrote:
2022-07-14, 09:35
Pallid Planetoid wrote:
SeaMonkey/2.53.12
I can change it to that, but if that stops working too then I'm just giving up on citi as i can't keep chasing a moving target every week no matter how important one site is deemed to be.
I added it to the dynamic overrides now (which will override browser defaults but not user-set; this won't be visible in preferences though. Check the devtools "networking" to check set useragent strings that are being sent on individual requests). Dynamic updates tend to be picked up within a day.
And it still works (the above override) on the machine I haven't yet updated PM to version 31.2.0 that still uses the override above.

With the 31.2.0 update the override becomes: Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:102.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/102.0 (Pale Moon) (which doesn't work and is the one you were going to change from and replace it with the "SeaMonkey" override that, knock-on-wood, does still work thankfully, as I had hoped).

You had mentioned (in your post above) that you had "... added it to the dynamic overrides now..." - but perhaps it wasn't added to the actual 31.2.0 build due to oversight. :eh:
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2022-08-02, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-08-02, 15:05

Off-topic:
I'd like to add (an off-topic positive note) - I'm very pleased to say that with the new (31.2) update I'm noticing (so far) a lot of sites (MSN sites, .gov sites etc.) that formerly failed to render (had displayed blank pages) are ALL rending properly now!!! :clap: NICE!!!! :thumbup: -- so a BIG THANKS for that!!! :D

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-02, 18:09

31.2.0:

general.useragent.override.citi.com;Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.12
not sure what you're complaining about.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-08-02, 18:23

After the update, I've changed the override back to what you posted above....

As I previously posted: After the 31.2.0 what I end up with was:
Pallid Planetoid wrote:
2022-08-02, 14:53
.... the override becomes: Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:102.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/102.0 (Pale Moon) ....
But if you've got the correct setting after the update then I guess it must be fine (and it's just another weird thing on my end - that resulted in my override getting changed from the "Seamonkey" override to the one above, as I mentioned, subsequent to the 31.2 update :crazy:).

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-08-02, 18:29

I'll go ahead and update PM on my other machine that currently has the "Seamonkey" override (as did this machine before the update). 8-)

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-08-02, 18:33

Pallid Planetoid wrote:
2022-08-02, 18:23
As I previously posted: After the 31.2.0 what I end up with was:
Pallid Planetoid wrote:
2022-08-02, 14:53
.... the override becomes: Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:102.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/102.0 (Pale Moon) ....
Something wrong on your end. I've got the Seamonkey 2.53.12 override in my about:config now, and I had never seen it before updating to 32.2 today.