bug with protomail

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
martinw2

bug with protomail

Unread post by martinw2 » 2021-12-26, 14:49

Hi, I use https://mail.protonmail.com/login
Soon it will be my main email account. There is a problem with Pale Moon that does not happen with firefox.
When I go to the 'empty trash' folder and hit the 'delete all button' a screen pops up with 'delete' but then the screen greys out and freezes pale moon so I can't even sign out. Tried firefox and that works fine so it seems there is some kind of script problem that only affects pale moon. Please look into this as I don't like firefox.

Thanks
Martin

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: bug with protomail

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-12-26, 15:22

Please ask Protonmail for support. If there is something specific we need to address to prevent this, they can let us know -- although more likely it's a scripting oversight because it was likely not tested against Pale Moon.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2021-12-26, 19:00

martinw2 wrote:
2021-12-26, 14:49
When I go to the 'empty trash' folder and hit the 'delete all button' a screen pops up with 'delete' but then the screen greys out and freezes pale moon so I can't even sign out.
Hello Martin. I use ProtonMail as well.

When you say "'empty trash' folder", do you mean the Trash folder on the left side? When you say "'delete all button'", do you mean selecting all the messages in that folder and then hitting the 'Delete permanently' button? I get the same results as you. As I have never deleted (or tried to delete) a message that was already in my 'Trash' folder, this is the first real 'bug' that I have experienced with that webmail and Pale Moon. I'm positive this is a scripting issue as PM seems to be 'not as forgiving' when it comes to poorly written scripts, and that's what I like most about this browser.
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2021-12-26, 19:07

No such problem for me and I've been using PM with PM for years. The button I see and use is "Delete Permanently" (you first have to select messages). And that brings up a dialog-like box over the typical darkened semi-transparent overlay. When I click "Delete" there, it works without any problem. Maybe you have an extension interfering or it's OS specific. I'm on an old version of Windows 10.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2021-12-26, 19:22

Michaell wrote:
2021-12-26, 19:07
Maybe you have an extension interfering or it's OS specific.
Could be. This may be an extension conflict. I'll maybe do a 'safe mode' run thru, but I'm not too dedicated to solving this issue. I run Win10 and PM 64 bit.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-12-27, 01:01

I have no problem deleting the trash in Protonmail (I've been using Protonmail for years).

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2021-12-27, 17:16

I just did a "delete" test on my Win 7 machine. It went slicker'n snot.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2021-12-27, 18:43

ron_1 wrote:
2021-12-27, 01:01
I have no problem deleting the trash in Protonmail (I've been using Protonmail for years).
JoeyG wrote:
2021-12-27, 17:16
I just did a "delete" test on my Win 7 machine. It went slicker'n snot.
Deleting a message from any folder other than the Trash folder is a different operation than deleting a message from the Trash folder. Deleting a message from any other folder simply moves the select(ed) or viewed message(s) to the Trash folder. Deleting select(ed) or viewed message(s) from that folder (Trash) performs an action labeled 'Delete permanently'. In fact, both of the operations have different labels, icons, and short cuts. Deleting a message from the Trash folder creates an issue like the OP posted, while deleting a message from any other folder (which is just a move operation, similar to most if not all other web and local email clients) performs as expected. I didn't fully test this (by disabling extensions) yesterday but I might today..

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2021-12-27, 19:08

somdcomputerguy wrote:
2021-12-27, 18:43

Deleting a message from any folder other than the Trash folder is a different operation than deleting a message from the Trash folder. Deleting a message from any other folder simply moves the select(ed) or viewed message(s) to the Trash folder. Deleting select(ed) or viewed message(s) from that folder (Trash) performs an action labeled 'Delete permanently'. In fact, both of the operations have different labels, icons, and short cuts. Deleting a message from the Trash folder creates an issue like the OP posted, while deleting a message from any other folder (which is just a move operation, similar to most if not all other web and local email clients) performs as expected. I didn't fully test this (by disabling extensions) yesterday but I might today..
Thank you for your explanation, but what you've written seems pretty obvious - or am I missing something?

-> Deleting a message from the Trash folder creates an issue like the OP posted

Anyway, I clicked the "little circle with the x in it" and I experienced no "issue". The Trash was emptied, and that was it.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-12-28, 01:47

somdcomputerguy wrote:
2021-12-27, 18:43
ron_1 wrote:
2021-12-27, 01:01
Deleting a message from any folder other than the Trash folder is a different operation than deleting a message from the Trash folder.
Um, that's what I did, delete from the trash folder. That's what I wrote.
And of course, how do you think they get to the trash folder?

Old_Radio
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Old_Radio » 2021-12-28, 19:04

ProtonMail OK here also. No problem deleting from Inbox or another folder, or emptying Trash with the 'X'.

This is on Win 7 SP1, x64 or Win 8.1 various versions. P M only has uBO and P M Commander. All systems @ P M 29.4.3

OP, or admin, may want to correct spelling in Subject Line. Don't know if searching is affected or not, with 'protomail'.
Win 8.1 x64 or x32, Win 7 SP1 x64. Nothing hanging on Pale Moon except uBO and P M Commander.

ari5_96
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by ari5_96 » 2021-12-31, 13:18

I'm having a problem that is not identical, but similar enough that they could be related. By "similar", I mean I have a problem with ProtonMail's "modal dialog boxes", in both these scenarios:
(1) If I try to change my password, ProtonMail gives me a modal dialog asking for current and new passwords, but the dialog and the main window are both greyed out, and I can't type anything, nor click either the Close or Save button. However pressing Escape does cancel the process.
(2) I also get similar behaviour by doing this:
- From the login page https://account.protonmail.com/login "Create an account"
- Enter a new ProtonMail e-mail address and password
- At the "Add a recovery method" page, click "Skip" (giving no recovery email address of phone number)
- ProtonMail displays a warning about no recovery method, with Confirm and Cancel buttons - but that warning dialog is greyed out (as is the rest of the page) and I can't click either button. (Pressing Escape key acts as cancel here.)
I get both of these issues whether I set User Agent Mode to Native or Firefox Compatibility.
Note that if I log in I CAN delete items from the Trash folder, and I get a white confirmation dialog box over a greyed out background.

I'm using PM 29.4.3 64-bit on Windows 7 SP1.

Perhaps someone else could try scenario 2 above (create new ProtonMail account, skip recovery method), since it does not require having an existing ProtonMail account.
I can replicate scenario 2 with a clean installation of PaleMoon - ie default config, no addons.

(Both of my scenarios work OK with Firefox 89.0)

I've used ProtonMail with Pale Moon before and not seen this problem, but I don't use it often. The last time I changed my password was 2021-09-18 and I did not have the problem then. I checked my records and I probably (but not definitely) had Pale Moon 29.1.1 at that time, so I installed 29.1.1 on my VM and tried scenarios 1 and 2 and I still see the same problem - suggesting that something at ProtonMail has changed rather than something in Pale Moon.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-12-31, 16:43

ari5_96 wrote:
2021-12-31, 13:18
I'm having a problem that is not identical, but similar enough that they could be related. By "similar", I mean I have a problem with ProtonMail's "modal dialog boxes", in both these scenarios:
(1) If I try to change my password, ProtonMail gives me a modal dialog asking for current and new passwords, but the dialog and the main window are both greyed out, and I can't type anything, nor click either the Close or Save button. However pressing Escape does cancel the process.
I just changed my Protonmail password a week or two ago, so "works for me."

martinw2

Unread post by martinw2 » 2021-12-31, 17:13

Hi, thanks for all the suggestions. Protonmail sent me a reply saying they had been able to replicate the problem and had passed it to their developers to fix on the next update to protonmail. So for now I have to continue with using firefox for their email system. At least they acknowledge there is an issue with their scripts.

Martin

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-12-31, 22:43

martinw2 wrote:
2021-12-31, 17:13
Hi, thanks for all the suggestions. Protonmail sent me a reply saying they had been able to replicate the problem and had passed it to their developers to fix on the next update to protonmail. So for now I have to continue with using firefox for their email system. At least they acknowledge there is an issue with their scripts.
Well, I guess that's why it works for me; I use uBo for, among other things, to block scripts.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2022-01-06, 01:46

I had to switch to a different version of my OS and now I'm getting the deleting problem. Did anybody figure anything out about it?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-06, 12:04

Which OS and which versions, exactly?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2022-01-06, 13:01

Moonchild wrote:
2022-01-06, 12:04
Which OS and which versions, exactly?
I switched from Devuan 5 (where it worked just fine) to Devuan 3 (where I get the problem). The weird thing is when I was using Devuan 2.1 I didn't have the problem. So:

Devuan 2.1 = no problem
Devuan 3 = PROBLEM
Devuan 5 = no problem

[BTW, I also contacted Protonmail about this.]

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2022-01-06, 13:11

I use Win10 ver. 21H2, Pale Moon ver. 29.4.3 64 bit. I have the 'delete from Trash' issue as well, but it doesn't really affect me as I just move messages to the Trash folder and let the 'system' actually 'empty the trash'.

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: bug with Protonmail

Unread post by Michaell » 2022-01-06, 22:38

They've changed the code at their site and now it's affecting me too.
I found a workaround. First, the PM extension "butWhyMod" will remove the overlay blocking usage. Then move messages to Spam folder, and delete from there.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24