CaveView.js v2.4.0 don't work on PaleMoon Topic is solved

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
damjang
Moon lover
Moon lover

CaveView.js v2.4.0 don't work on PaleMoon

Unread post by damjang » 2021-11-22, 10:28

I ask also here because the last version of library CaveView.js v2.4.0 don't work on PaleMoon. Previous versions work ok. The library work ok in Chrome, FF and Edge. I think it is a caveview.js problem, but maybe someone here can help. I already opened a bug in caveview github repository. In the Error Console I see this error:

Code: Select all

Error: SyntaxError: bad method definition
Source File: http://www.grmada.org/CV/CaveView/js/CaveView2.js
Line: 30556, Column: 2
Source Code:
  isLineSegmentsGeometry = true; 
Use my test page here: http://www.grmada.org/CV/

Thank you!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: CaveView.js v2.4.0 don't work on PaleMoon

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-11-22, 11:01

CaveView tries to use a class field inside a class. This isn't currently supported by us and it should be put inside the class constructor, otherwise it will be seen as a class method definition (resulting in the error seen).

class LineSegmentsGeometry extends InstancedBufferGeometry {

isLineSegmentsGeometry = true;

constructor () {

super();

this.type = 'LineSegmentsGeometry';

const positions = [ - 1, 2, 0, 1, 2, 0, - 1, 1, 0, 1, 1, 0, - 1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, - 1, - 1, 0, 1, - 1, 0 ];
			const uvs = [ - 1, 2, 1, 2, - 1, 1, 1, 1, - 1, - 1, 1, - 1, - 1, - 2, 1, - 2 ];
			const index = [ 0, 2, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 4, 3, 4, 5, 3, 4, 6, 5, 6, 7, 5 ];
Should be (if I read the documentation correctly -- since I never work with these C-isms they introduced in JS fnar)

class LineSegmentsGeometry extends InstancedBufferGeometry {

constructor () {

super();

this.type = 'LineSegmentsGeometry';
			this.isLineSegmentsGeometry = true;

const positions = [ - 1, 2, 0, 1, 2, 0, - 1, 1, 0, 1, 1, 0, - 1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, - 1, - 1, 0, 1, - 1, 0 ];
			const uvs = [ - 1, 2, 1, 2, - 1, 1, 1, 1, - 1, - 1, 1, - 1, - 1, - 2, 1, - 2 ];
			const index = [ 0, 2, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 4, 3, 4, 5, 3, 4, 6, 5, 6, 7, 5 ];
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

damjang
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by damjang » 2021-11-22, 22:44

Thank you! I try to fix this, but find other similar problems and also other errors, that I'm unable to resolve... Posted to CaveView author.

damjang
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by damjang » 2021-11-25, 14:05

I find that also other operators are used in CaveView.js, but seems that PM is not supporting them:
- the nullish coalescing operator (??) - ES2020 introduced
- optional chaining operator (?.)

Is there a possibility that PM support them in the future?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-11-25, 14:43

This is an authoritative post: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=27497#p221033

ES2020 and other current pseudo-standards are the result of Google's dominance of the market(*). It will take considerable time to implement.
Off-topic:
(*) New "features" tend to go something like this:
  1. Google implements a new shiny in Chrome that was not asked for by the web dev community, and regularly serves only to make Google services and data gathering easier.
  2. Google enters a standards proposal for their implemented Chromium feature (shiny).
  3. Mozilla jumps on it because fear of irrelevance/direct Google influence/cash flow. Regularly by way of directly importing Chromium code and just gluing it together in a $400M/year effort to "match their benefactor".
  4. Google advertises the shiny to willing and eager web devs who want to come up with something new every 2 weeks to satisfy their Agile development commands, uses it in its own framework (Angular) and pushes it to other framework devs as the next hot thing, getting the dev buzz mill going.
  5. The proposal is moved forward because both Mozilla and Google have the new shiny (2 votes is all you need). The moment it's far enough along of a draft, websites will use it.
  6. Websites start breaking on non-chromium (and older Firefox) because browser agnostic design is dead.
  7. Alternative browser engines have to "catch up" to the over-eager use of the new shiny in web sites because "all other browsers work fine" -- where all other browsers are all based on Chromium, with the only other browser (Firefox) having been bought out already.
  8. Proposals get finalised in a "Standard" which is descriptive of Chromium's implementation rather than creative.
  9. Websites feel justified in continuing to discriminate against other browser engines and not being browser agnostic, because it's now been "made official".
Rinse and repeat for the next shiny. And then the next and the next.

I'm not sure how many points above are a direct conflict of interest but it's more than one.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-11-25, 16:05

Off-topic:
And when we tried to highlight this issue at WhatWG (regarding <style scoped>) as it was happening with the transition of msedge to chromium we were threatened with banishment by Google Employees.

Also, do not forget on the RARE occasion someone at Mozilla has the balls to object.. Apple's Webkit is there to fill the gap and Mozilla will be forced into it anyway.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-11-25, 17:11

Moonchild wrote:
2021-11-25, 14:43
ES2020 and other current pseudo-standards are the result of Google's dominance of the market(*). It will take considerable time to implement.
Given this and the rest of the developer commentary in this thread, Do you plan/expect to implement these (to some substantial degree that would address, or alleviate, the project's accumulating web-compatibility issues)?

Edit: And if so, what might the trade-offs be?
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2021-11-25, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-11-25, 17:22

So you didn't actually read my post. k.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-11-25, 17:27

Tobin I read your post, but don't see it answering this question

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-11-25, 17:55

Read it again.
And again if necessary.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-11-25, 18:41

Moonchild wrote:
2021-11-25, 17:55
Read it again.
I was speaking of the post made here in this thread.

If you're speaking of the post that you linked to earlier (which I read at the time it was made, though admittedly wasn't thinking of right now), specifically its last paragraph...

It had read to me more like, well, a PR release, while the "developer comments" I referred to earlier made the (much) stronger impression on me, hence my question. But... hopefully that paragraph means what I wouldd -like- it to.