Pale moon suddenly became compatible with gmail Topic is solved

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Pale moon suddenly became compatible with gmail

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2021-11-07, 12:36

Our institutional e-mail is managed by Gsuite (paid version of gmail). I normally bypass that using fetchmail and using my old mail client. I login into gmail in a browser (namely Pale moon) only rarely (typically to tag a false positive as non-spam ... I thought this would be better than moving it via imap on my mail client, in the hope it will "learn"), and so far when entering via browser I was put in "basic HTML view" (fine for me).
Suddenly since yesterday gmail puts me in the "standard view" like it recognises Pale moon as a gmail-compatible browser (NB I did not change anything in Pale moon).
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Pale moon suddenly became compatible with gmail

Unread post by Daikun » 2021-11-07, 13:51

I don't use Gsuite, so I wouldn't know how that works, but I've never had a problem accessing Gmail on PM.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-11-07, 14:22

For the record, I've never had any issue accessing GMail's "normal" web interface either. Basic HTML has only been a thing when I was on super slow wifi
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2021-11-07, 14:49

The normal GMail interface worked, but it was really slow on actual hardware. I also remember that I saw some messages that the browser isn't compatible, but I can't check that anymore, I don't have a Google account anymore.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2021-11-07, 15:56

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:
2021-11-07, 12:36
Suddenly since yesterday gmail puts me in the "standard view"
Yeah, after recent changes, Google now refuses to let you save the basic HTML layout as default.
As a workaround, people can use this login link (with certain parameters):

Code: Select all

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2021-11-07, 22:00

Thanks, the last post seems the explanation.
BTW, of course I was not blaming Pale moon for any "incompatibility". Simply I was used to the "basic HTML" look since ages (for the rare times I use it, to tag false positives as no spam) both on the work desktop, on the slow laptop I was using at home in the past, as well on the new home desktop which is newer and faster than the work one, and I was surprised by the change to the "standard HTML" without my intervention. Since the documentation by Google says that "basic HTML" is used on what they consider not compatible browsers, I thought they'd revised their classification.
Apparently the note on the page bottom which allows to toggle between standard and basic view is no longer present by default (something flashes on the screen but disappears before one can click on it). Apparently the alternate URLs used to force basic view do not operate on the custom URL used by Gsuite for my organization.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)