Is Vanguard.com Login (Security Question/Codes) Incompatible with PM Topic is solved

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
sponge_bob_128

Is Vanguard.com Login (Security Question/Codes) Incompatible with PM

Unread post by sponge_bob_128 » 2021-11-04, 03:00

Okay, with a fresh installation (rmdir /s "Moonchild Productions" in AppData), I have trouble logging into vanguard.com.
The problem is at the "Remember this device?" (Yes or No) selection either for codes or security questions. I click on either
it changes to black but then the selection does not stick and you cannot continue. Hilariously, Vanguard lets you disable
two factor authentication, but then on first login forces you to reenable it or you can't login. This makes me believe that the
selection box is just incompetently and non-standardly implemented. Is this a known problem?

sponge_bob_128

Re: Is Vanguard.com Login (Security Question/Codes) Incompatible with PM

Unread post by sponge_bob_128 » 2021-11-04, 21:40

Forgot to add: no Error Console Errors/Warnings. Kind of useless to report
as the behavior can't be observed without a Vanguard account....

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-11-05, 00:55

sponge_bob_128 wrote:
2021-11-04, 21:40
Kind of useless to report
Yup, quite a waste of time unless you know how to analyse the problem on their website.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Old_Radio
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Old_Radio » 2021-11-05, 21:07

Same problem as OP as edited below.
sponge_bob_128 wrote:
2021-11-04, 03:00
... I have trouble logging into vanguard.com.
The problem is at the "Remember this device?" (Yes or No) selection either for codes or security questions. I click on either
it changes to black but then the selection does not stick and you cannot continue.
sponge_bob_128 wrote:
2021-11-04, 21:40
Forgot to add: no Error Console Errors/Warnings.
The site worked fine on 01Nov21; did not work on 03Nov21.

Fails in Pale Moon, in Safe Mode and in Normal Mode, 29.4.1 x64 on Win 7 SP1 or Win 8.1
If use Web Console--> Debugger, get message "This source is black boxed: its breakpoints are disabled, and stepping skips through it." Under that is "Stop black boxing this source"
Highlighted entry @ left column in Debugger = https://ccc.vgcontrol.info, under that = vgn.min.js I have a screen shot if needed.

When I called Vanguard on 03Nov21 to report this, person who answered phone contacted 'tech' support for me after I read the error message above, person came back with answer from 'tech' support as follows: 1a) Clear Cache, and 1b) reinstall your browser. When I bluntly told the person that somebody was given 'canned' answers, person got another 'tech' support 'body' on the phone who said 'Can I help you logon?' Yes, I hung up.

I have had an online account with Vanguard for > 10 years. Their so-called online security is a joke; I will not get into that further. Vanguard 'tech' support does not listen, they have a very condescending attitude.

For emergencies, I use FF Portable at 90.0.1. This works.

Any other way to troubleshoot this?
Win 8.1 x64 or x32, Win 7 SP1 x64. Nothing hanging on Pale Moon except uBO and P M Commander.

Old_Radio
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Old_Radio » 2021-11-07, 17:28

Update...

With egg on face. Problem still exists if user clicks on either 'Yes' or 'No' radio button. After filling in answer to 'security' question, user should tab over to chosen 'Yes' or 'No' button, tap the space bar. Desired button is now filled in with a colored large dot, 'Confirm' box is highlighted. Press 'Enter' and off you go. Tried it 2x today. Probably should have tried the space bar the other day.

Why the change? Who knows.
Win 8.1 x64 or x32, Win 7 SP1 x64. Nothing hanging on Pale Moon except uBO and P M Commander.