fetlife.com Topic is solved

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

fetlife.com

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2021-10-27, 09:17

There have been a so called "performance update" to the site and it stopped working in PM.
The error console says

Code: Select all

Timestamp: 27.10.2021 11:14:12
Error: SyntaxError: import declarations may only appear at top level of a module
Source File: https://ga2.fetlife.com/vite/assets/application.d3e8f893.js
Line: 1, Column: 758
Source Code:
typeof t?t+"":t,o),o);export function __vite_legacy_guard(){import("data:text/javascript,")}import{C as Counters,a as Ca
When I poked the support, they told me
"The error above indicates that the browser doesn't support "dynamic import()" feature. It should fall back to the "legacy" build, but it seems that it also has troubles with that. "

I don't understand any of this, but if this is something that should work in PM and is supposedly fixable (if it's something to be fixed at all) on that site's end, can you give me anything to tell them?

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: fetlife.com

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-10-27, 09:55

Unfortunately only them can see why it doesn't work, as the code is minified and most likely obfuscated.
There's a chance the framework (I see a "vite" prefix) or even the server itself uses the user agent string to decide whether the supposed "legacy" build should be used.
Try using something like sasuga or PermissionPlus to change the site-specific user agent and see if you get something, for example with old versions of Firefox.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-10-27, 09:56

Well if they don't let us know in what way this "legacy" mode "doesn't work" we can't do anything about it.
Pale Moon indeed doesn't (yet) support dynamic importing of modules which like so many "modern web features" is more of a chrome-ism than anything else.
There are plenty of ways the website owners can solve either the module import or the "legacy" scripting if they can be bothered to spend some time on being more browser-agnostic than they currently are.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2021-11-02, 19:18

Interestingly, it took only like 4 people to complain in the forums for the devs to change their mind about "unsupported browsers" and doing =something=, after which the site started working again.
Supposedly the original problem was upgrading something called "Vue" on the servers which didn't agree with PM.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-11-02, 20:51

Vue never does. Remember when people used to write their own code? People hell.. when COMPANIES used to write their own code especially ones who's JOB and even their BUSINESS MODEL it is to write code?