YouTube.com's WebComponents Polymer.js element script hangs when OdinMonkey is enabled.

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
SC1040

YouTube.com's WebComponents Polymer.js element script hangs when OdinMonkey is enabled.

Unread post by SC1040 » 2021-10-03, 04:14

While the title is lengthy, it is a summary of what I have noticed with YouTube.com in particular.

Due to this script experiencing an apparent processing hang on webpage loads, content loading is delayed considerably on both the home page, video searches, and even on videos themselves. Most concerning is how videos will fail to play due to this apparent issue, which led to avoiding using Pale Moon for YouTube browsing and video playing for a while.

I have managed to isolate the cause to OdinMonkey being enabled in Pale Moon Commander's Advanced Preferences->Performance->JavaScript->Enable OdinMonkey (asm.js optimizations) checkbox, as it would be by default. If it is unchecked and disabled, YouTube's homepage will load normally, and videos will also play normally.

Four possible explanations for this may be:
1. An issue with Pale Moon's specific implementation of OdinMonkey/asm.js.
2. An inherent issue with OdinMonkey/asm.js in general.
3. An issue with the script on YouTube's end in failing to be compiled to asm.js correctly or within a certain time window.
4. YouTube and other Google websites dropping support for asm.js entirely in favor of using WebAssembly, which Pale Moon also supports.

I realize that this post may be a bit too wordy or all over the place, but I hope it is worthwhile. I should mention also that this was noticed in the current stable build version of Pale Moon 29.4.1 (64-bit) for Windows, as well as maybe one or two prior build versions to it. Until further discussion, regards for the time being.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: YouTube.com's WebComponents Polymer.js element script hangs when OdinMonkey is enabled.

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-10-03, 10:47

Issues with YouTube are known already, and you are missing one option: a Google service being optimized for Google products and not caring for other platforms, in which due to these optimizations are largely opaque (in that they can be known only by reverse engineering), it's nearly impossible to reach a comparable performance unless your platform is based, directly or indirectly, on a Google product.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: YouTube.com's WebComponents Polymer.js element script hangs when OdinMonkey is enabled.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-10-05, 10:03

It's an interesting piece of information that raises some questions about YouTube's scripting, chief among them why they would be using asm.js to begin with for a Web UI dealing with media delivery. That makes very little sense to me.

At most though, it provides a potential workaround for people who want to use YouTube in Pale Moon without initial-load delays (disabling OdinMonkey) at the cost of potential performance loss on other websites. Of course there's very little we can do about it if we don't even have the opportunity to examine the responsible js code properly (because it's all obfuscated) so in that case it just falls back to the thing already pointed out by vannilla.

EDIT: This thread seems to be a red herring. There is no difference with OdinMonkey enabled or disabled for loading YouTube on my system -- the initial delay still occurs.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

bukvatykev

Unread post by bukvatykev » 2021-10-05, 20:31

I also getting same freezes regardless of OdinMonkey checkbox state. I've also restarted browser after changing the checkbox state and youtube still hangs up.

SC1040

Unread post by SC1040 » 2021-10-11, 08:21

Moonchild wrote:
2021-10-05, 10:03
EDIT: This thread seems to be a red herring. There is no difference with OdinMonkey enabled or disabled for loading YouTube on my system -- the initial delay still occurs.
Greetings again. Later and more thorough testing corroborated that further processing hangs occurred regardless of whether OdinMonkey is enabled or not. The only difference was that with OdinMonkey disabled, the video element could still load and play as usual more often than not, whereas the element would consistently fail to load and play videos if OdinMonkey was enabled.

Resetting Pale Moon Commander settings seems to have fixed this issue on my end regardless of asm.js usage, however. Strange, but it could be looked into in the event it not targeting the latest Pale Moon version breaks things on browser updates or otherwise.

Alternatively, something there was previously set that broke the browser's ability to parse the Polymer Project script elements. I do not know what exactly at this time.