dhl.de: shipment tracking impossible Topic is solved

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Bito_MUC
Moonbather
Moonbather

dhl.de: shipment tracking impossible

Unread post by Bito_MUC » 2021-09-30, 09:48

Hi, my Pale Moon (for version and OS, see footer) has a problem with the website https://www.dhl.de:
With Pale Moon the site looks more or less white:
DHL_PM.jpg
With the MS-browser Edge, however, the same URL delivers (among other differences to Pale Moon) a link where I can track the shipment of an announced parcel:
DHL_Edge.jpg
I tried this with a new profile without any add-ons or language pack.

Thus, with Pale Moon I cannot use the service of DHL to track the current position of a parcel being shipped to my address.
I don't want to use a Google/Microsoft browser for that purpose.
Pale Moon 32.1.0 (64-bit), German locale, on Windows 10 pro (22H2)

Galaxy
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: dhl.de: shipment tracking impossible

Unread post by Galaxy » 2021-09-30, 14:16

Try either of the following two links to track your package using Pale Moon:

https://www.dhl.com/de-en/home.html

https://www.dhl.com/de-de/home.html

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-09-30, 15:33

It's caused by this line:

Code: Select all

let language = document?.getElementsByTagName?.('html')?.[0]?.getAttribute?.('lang');
There are two ways to solve this issue: the first is to tell the DHL site developers that what they are doing is unnecessary and the same can be accomplished with better browser support (especially since they seems to check for Internet Explorer) by adding only a handful of lines; the second is to somehow help the UXP team to implement this missing feature (the ?. syntax.)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-09-30, 16:24

let language = document?.getElementsByTagName?.('html')?.[0]?.getAttribute?.('lang');
That doesn't even make sense to do that way. there's always going to be a document, and that will always have the getElementsByTagName function, and you can't put a .? between a function name and its parameters, there will always be an html tag or it won't render and you can't "."-dot an index, and that element will always have a getAttribute function and "lang" is a standard attribute which the website itself will have defined (otherwise it will just return null anyway). I'm pretty sure this would not work even if optional chaining was implemented and always return null.

So really, this seems to be explicitly made to break on browsers that don't accept garbage :P

Solution:

let language = document.getElementsByTagName('html')[0].getAttribute('lang');
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Bito_MUC
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Bito_MUC » 2021-10-01, 08:33

Galaxy wrote:
2021-09-30, 14:16
Try either of the following two links to track your package using Pale Moon:

https://www.dhl.com/de-en/home.html

https://www.dhl.com/de-de/home.html
Thank you for this "alternative" Link to the parcel tracking feature of DHL: I would never have had this problem if they would redirect www.dhl.de to that URL.
Pale Moon 32.1.0 (64-bit), German locale, on Windows 10 pro (22H2)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-10-01, 09:07

It would still be a good idea to not just use the alternative URLs but actually contact DHL.de and point them to this thread for the issue on their site so they can improve their code. Whomever added the highlighted code clearly didn't understand OOP or when to use optional chaining and the result is something that can't even work in any browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

jarman

Unread post by jarman » 2021-10-01, 10:25

Moonchild wrote:
2021-10-01, 09:07
Whomever added the highlighted code clearly didn't understand OOP or when to use optional chaining and the result is something that can't even work in any browser.
I agree that optional chaining is pointless in this case, but you're jumping to conclusions about the code not working in any browser.

Firefox 92.0 console output:

>> document
<- HTMLDocument https://archive.org/

>> document?.getElementsByTagName
<- function getElementsByTagName()

>> document?.getElementsByTagName?.('html')
<- HTMLCollection { 0: html, length: 1 }

>> document?.getElementsByTagName?.('html')?.[0]
<- <html lang="en">

>> document?.getElementsByTagName?.('html')?.[0]?.getAttribute
<- function getAttribute()

>> document?.getElementsByTagName?.('html')?.[0]?.getAttribute?.('lang')
<- "en"

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-10-01, 12:18

Well it shouldn't work if you go by the way object-oriented hierarchy is defined. So to me that just points out an implementation bug.

jarman

Unread post by jarman » 2021-10-01, 17:09

If by a bug you mean
Moonchild wrote:
2021-09-30, 16:24
you can't put a .? between a function name and its parameters
you can't "."-dot an index
then https://github.com/tc39/proposal-optional-chaining#faq says
obj?.[expr] and func?.(arg) look ugly. Why not use obj?[expr] and func?(arg) as does <language X>?

We don’t use the obj?[expr] and func?(arg) syntax, because of the difficulty for the parser to efficiently distinguish those forms from the conditional operator, e.g., obj?[expr].filter(fun):0 and func?(x - 2) + 3 :1.

Alternative syntaxes for those two cases each have their own flaws; and deciding which one looks the least bad is mostly a question of personal taste. Here is how we made our choice:
  • pick the best syntax for the obj?.prop case, which is expected to occur most often;
  • extend the use of the recognisable ?. sequence of characters to other cases: obj?.[expr], func?.(arg).
As for <language X>, it has different syntactical constraints than JavaScript because of <some construct not supported by X or working differently in X>.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-10-01, 17:42

Terrible, in that case. It flies totally in the face of the paradigms of OOP. An index/parameter list is not an object and should not be dot-chained. ever.

IOW: Optional chaining is a hot mess.

jarman

Unread post by jarman » 2021-10-01, 18:52

It doesn't look very pretty, but I'm not sure what the big deal is. It's not supposed to be dot-chaining in these two cases, it's the question-dot operator, a syntactic thing. I think it's the name "optional chaining" that's misleading, the idea of an operator to test for existence prior to trying to do something with an object isn't that bad. Whether it should be added more than two decades later is another question...

Quorx
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Quorx » 2021-10-05, 08:44

It would still be a good idea to not just use the alternative URLs but actually contact DHL.de
However, it’s a thankless endeavor to point out flaws to web designers that they should have seen themselves. In addition, DHL is one of those companies that drives everyone crazy who tries to contact them about individual concerns. It's like wanting to call to an oil tanker from a nutshell.

It doesn't help: In some cases Palemoon has to loosen its purity ideals (see also https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=220052#p220052) and become more tolerant and robust against the shortcomings of an imperfect world.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-10-05, 09:26

Quorx wrote:
2021-10-05, 08:44
It's like wanting to call to an oil tanker from a nutshell.
If you don't try, you will have 100% failure rate.
Quorx wrote:
2021-10-05, 08:44
In some cases Palemoon has to loosen its purity ideals (see also viewtopic.php?p=220052#p220052) and become more tolerant and robust against the shortcomings of an imperfect world.
I don't know in what way you convert that post into somehow being about "purity ideals".

Kand_in_Sky
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Kand_in_Sky » 2021-10-12, 09:49

After their website update dhl.de on monday 11th.Oct now printing labels does not work anymore in PM, Basilisk, Waterfox Classic
and (of course!) it works in Chromium (Opera) :-/
PaleMoon & Basilisk
- on 2014 i5-4210M Notebook 8GB Win7 64Bit
- on 2014 Athlon 5350 16GB PC Win7 64Bit
- on 2018 Athlon200GE 32GB PC Win10 64Bit

Quorx
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Quorx » 2021-10-12, 10:37

If you don't try, you will have 100% failure rate.
I don't know why you think I didn't try. On the contrary, I describe a frustrating experience.
I don't know in what way you convert that post into somehow being about "purity ideals".
Well, this is again an important website (DHL is the big delivery service in Germany) that doesn't work with Palemoon. The analysis says: Well, this page contains bad code that Palemoon doesn't support. Because Palemoon is too good to support rubbish-code. This is certainly quality-conscious, but the user in practice has no benefit of this sophisticated attitude. He needs a browser that can cope with dirty circumstances.
Specifically, I have to switch to Vivaldi more and more often because pages with Palemoon are not displayed correctly. If this continues, in the foreseeable future Palemoon will only be my second browser, and I think that would be a pity.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-10-12, 11:31

Off-topic:
Quorx wrote:
2021-10-12, 10:37
Because Palemoon is too good to support rubbish-code. ... this sophisticated attitude
That is total BS to state. You are implying a mentality that is completely false. You're projecting, please don't.
Quorx wrote:
He needs a browser that can cope with dirty circumstances.
And we already do a lot of that! But what you are saying here is that if we don't support all the quirks of the Blink engine we are somehow having a high-horse attitude... And that's just simply not true.

I restate our mission here: It is released in the hope that it is useful.

if it isn't, then by all means use something that is more useful for you. But don't make this somehow about attitude because it isn't (and I do take offence to that implication).
Our web compatibility isn't perfect. We know this. But we don't do that "on purpose". However, that doesn't mean we have to just sit by and not make critical remarks about rubbish code. Even if we'd support it, it would STILL be rubbish code.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-10-12, 11:56

Quorx wrote:
Because Palemoon is too good to support rubbish-code. ... this sophisticated attitude
Off-topic:
Everyone keeps saying that we as developers need to stop interacting with the so-called community. Most of the other companies and most projects have stopped and only refer you to "user community support".. So if that is what people are convinced they want.. Support by hostile forces that would see me and anyone who agrees with me dead in an instant and half-assed hackjob builds or our builds and our fourm where we don't even bother to speak to you let alone share our opinion..

I have tried to persuade Moonchild to close the forum in the past and move to just support tickets that only get a response when they are either an affirmative or negative as to what is to be done and let all these hate groups pretending to be "Pale Moon Freedom Fighters" or "Pale Moon's real user class" otherwise known as criminal terrorists to just say whatever even if it leads you to make the wrong if not dangerous decisions and choices. I am not sure anyone who has a functional mind really wants this, however, perhaps that is exactly what everyone will get in the end if this kind of horseshit keeps up.

You want a high and mighty attitude? Try this on for size.. You don't deserve what we have worked so hard for years to do with YOUR attitude. Now kindly fuck off to somewhere else until we get these features in despite being stupid as hell in concept and implementation.

Kand_in_Sky
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Kand_in_Sky » 2021-10-21, 18:36

so me contacted DHL on oct.11th after their update - and of course they don't get it, they simply don't understand that there are people who do not use Chromium browsers
for them everything is fine.
PaleMoon & Basilisk
- on 2014 i5-4210M Notebook 8GB Win7 64Bit
- on 2014 Athlon 5350 16GB PC Win7 64Bit
- on 2018 Athlon200GE 32GB PC Win10 64Bit

ThomasG

Unread post by ThomasG » 2021-10-27, 18:09

Wonders never cease... They seem to have at least fixed the tracking function...
tracking.png

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-10-27, 20:51

Until next time.