could some one check rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/3908/mitochondrial-complex-i-deficiency

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
bandidoirlandes

could some one check rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/3908/mitochondrial-complex-i-deficiency

Unread post by bandidoirlandes » 2021-09-13, 21:25

Loads in other browsers but I cant get it to open in PM
https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/disea ... deficiency
Fresh profile etc no go....
thank-you

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: could some one check rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/3908/mitochondrial-complex-i-deficiency

Unread post by Night Wing » 2021-09-13, 22:55

This is what I get when I clicked on your link using 64 bit linux Pale Moon (29.4.0.2).
The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

bandidoirlandes

Re: could some one check rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/3908/mitochondrial-complex-i-deficiency

Unread post by bandidoirlandes » 2021-09-14, 01:50

Perfect its not working for you either. Does any one know what we need to do to get the site to work with PM? Works in FF and Chrome.....
I am to exhausted and sick to figure this out.... Glad you checked it any other ideas?

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-09-14, 07:09

Well, a suggestion is given by the browser itself:

bandidoirlandes

Unread post by bandidoirlandes » 2021-09-14, 12:22

TY your right I am sorry to waste your time... I am so stupid.
Maybe when its fixed you can read the article I asked about and then maybe this one
since these are videos on anime... you know or funny memes....

Please forgive me for asking on the forum FOR PM!!! I think I said it works on FF and Chrome so I dont know if I contact them maybe they will tell me to use an updated browser?
Or maybe you can ask them?
But please keep wasting my time and energy. I love the snarky people on this and all forums but your not helping any one or making your life happy.
But hey you got a reply I guess your won and got attention.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-09-14, 13:27

Your behaviour in your reply there is totally uncalled for. Tone it down, please. People are just trying to help and yes, there seems to be something misconfigured with the server terminating connections prematurely; only the server operators/website owners can solve that.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

bandidoirlandes

Unread post by bandidoirlandes » 2021-09-14, 14:35

Moonchild wrote:
2021-09-14, 13:27
Your behaviour in your reply there is totally uncalled for. Tone it down, please. People are just trying to help and yes, there seems to be something misconfigured with the server terminating connections prematurely; only the server operators/website owners can solve that.
Not here to argue or be snarky but .... "it works on FF and Chrome so I don't know if I contact them maybe they will tell me to use an updated browser?"
Sorry this is the website that I use for rarediseases that I suffer from? Should I just use a different browser that works?
I mean I can contact the admins of the site but again it works in FF and chrome just tested seamonkey so maybe its not just a website issue?

bandidoirlandes

Unread post by bandidoirlandes » 2021-09-14, 14:58

vannilla wrote:
2021-09-14, 07:09
Well, a suggestion is given by the browser itself:
Sorry vannilla.. I always hate to make peoples day worse or not as happy.
Hope your afternoon/evening/morning goes good.
I need to reread my reply's, and not send some of them.
I also more importantly need to be less angry and more kind.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-09-15, 01:43

Since the website works in SeaMonkey, I suspected that this may be a regression in Pale Moon. And it seems I stumbled upon something.

The said website loads way back in 28.0.0 until 28.2.0 (haven't tested .1 and .2 since there are no Linux versions of those in the archive). 28.3.0 is when the browser starts showing the "Secure Connection Failed" error.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-09-15, 01:59

I found a workaround. I compared what TLS version Pale Moon 28.2.0 and SeaMonkey 2.53.10 is using, and the former uses 1.2, while the latter uses 1.3. It seems something's wrong with the TLS 1.3 part in Pale Moon, but I'm not sure why it happens. Regardless, if you disable 1.3 and make 1.2 your maximum TLS version, the website should load.

To easily switch the maximum version of TLS to use, install the Pale Moon Commander extension, restart, and go to Tools => Advanced Preferences. From the Security tab of that window, go to the SSL subtab and change the Highest supported protocol to TLS 1.2.

Don't forget to reset it back to TLS 1.3 when you're done browsing the NIH website.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-09-15, 10:39

There's nothing wrong with TLS 1.3 in Pale Moon (e.g. it's in use on this very forum and many other websites), as far as I know. If that's the issue then there's possibly something wrong with the TLS 1.3 setup on the server you're trying to visit and this might be a good thing to mention when you contact them. I do notice there are several successive attempts at establishing the connection and the server seems to keep resetting the connection. After a number of tried it just gives up.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

bandidoirlandes

Unread post by bandidoirlandes » 2021-09-15, 12:32

jobbautista9 wrote:
2021-09-15, 01:43
Since the website works in SeaMonkey, I suspected that this may be a regression in Pale Moon. And it seems I stumbled upon something.

The said website loads way back in 28.0.0 until 28.2.0 (haven't tested .1 and .2 since there are no Linux versions of those in the archive). 28.3.0 is when the browser starts showing the "Secure Connection Failed" error.
Ty you so much for looking at this for me jobbautista9 and the others who answered I was afraid of that when it worked in all the other browsers. Ty for helping me not think I am crazy.

bandidoirlandes

Unread post by bandidoirlandes » 2021-09-15, 12:34

Moonchild wrote:
2021-09-15, 10:39
There's nothing wrong with TLS 1.3 in Pale Moon (e.g. it's in use on this very forum and many other websites), as far as I know. If that's the issue then there's possibly something wrong with the TLS 1.3 setup on the server you're trying to visit and this might be a good thing to mention when you contact them. I do notice there are several successive attempts at establishing the connection and the server seems to keep resetting the connection. After a number of tried it just gives up.
Thank-you for letting me know its not palemoon... Or at least the latest version.

This is the email that I sent yesterday to: gardinfo@nih.gov
I cant seem to get these to load in my browser..

They load properly in FF chrome and seamonkey made a new profile without any addons and It still wont work.
I asked others to check and they are reporting the same issue.

Palemooon latest update is giving error:

Secure Connection Failed

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.

bandidoirlandes

Unread post by bandidoirlandes » 2021-09-17, 11:52

jobbautista9 wrote:
2021-09-15, 01:43

I just downloaded the portable versions and checked with windows :
29.3 - Does not load
29.4 - Does not load
28.2.0 - Loads
Edge - loads

linux
FF - loads
Seamonkey - loads
Chrome - loads
Midori - loads
28.0.0 - 28.2.0 - loads
28.3.0 - 29.4.x - Does not load

no clue what it means or doesn't mean but its interesting
still waiting on the reply from the website admins... I don't think I sent the email to the correct address..

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-09-17, 13:28

28.3.0 introduced TLS 1.3 support for the finalized version of the TLS 1.3 protocol. Perhaps the server admins are using web server software that is using an older TLS 1.3 spec?

bandidoirlandes

Unread post by bandidoirlandes » 2021-09-17, 13:46

Moonchild wrote:
2021-09-17, 13:28
28.3.0 introduced TLS 1.3 support for the finalized version of the TLS 1.3 protocol. Perhaps the server admins are using web server software that is using an older TLS 1.3 spec?
I am just a user not sure...? Again I have asked here and I sent the email above I have no clue. I assumed that asking here and there some one would know but I dont.
Why I asked...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-09-17, 14:33

Well there's nothing I can see on my end that provides any more info other than "the server closes the connection".
I'm just indicating that what people have found (it doesn't work with TLS 1.3) matches up with 28.3.0 since that's when we finalized our TLS 1.3 support completely according to spec.
If it was a browser side issue with the TLS protocol I'm sure a lot of other websites wouldn't be working either and we'd long since been inundated with complaints about it. After all, 28.3.0 was released in January of 2019.

jarman

Unread post by jarman » 2021-09-18, 15:14

It's a middlebox compatibility mode thing.
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/r ... pendix-D.4

Firefox has it always enabled since 59.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1430268

On Windows you can quickly test the fix without rebuilding by hex editing nss3.dll and changing the occurrence of "1142DA00" to "1142DA08". It should be close to the string "Locks are ENABLED". This is the equivalent of initializing ssl_defaults.enableTls13CompatMode = PR_TRUE in security/nss/lib/ssl/sslsock.c.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-09-18, 17:07

Thanks for the research, jarman. Disappointing that the BZ bug is completely blank in terms of description or justification.

I've looked over the data, RFC appendix and mailing list references and I don't see a statistically significant reason to force deviating from the proper TLS 1.3 spec, here. draft-22 (which is pretty much final) did not show anything significant in the opt-in experiment Mozilla performed on Firefox back then, yet they still opted to make it a "silent success" at the cost of implementing TLS 1.3 to specification.

This would, however, be valuable data for the website owners who apparently run a middleware box they need to update for proper TLS 1.3 compatibility.

jarman

Unread post by jarman » 2021-09-18, 19:30

Up to you of course, but since it's so easy to implement and should be of no impact otherwise, why not put it behind a pref? It's true that they should fix this, but government sites tend to be pretty inflexible. Ironically, since it works with other browsers, wontfixing this in any way would make people who encounter this type of thing blame Pale Moon for being outdated, while it's actually the opposite. :)