Twitter images download as JFIF instead of JPEG

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
InklingStudios

Twitter images download as JFIF instead of JPEG

Unread post by InklingStudios » 2021-08-29, 23:55

The subject line mostly says it all, but for some reason, attempting to download JPEG files off of Twitter doesn't save them as an actual .jpeg or .jpg file, it instead downloads it as a .jfif file, which has compatibility issues with some programs since most only work with JPEG and/or PNG files.
If there's potentially a way to fix it let me know.

EMH_Mark_I
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Twitter images download as JFIF instead of JPEG

Unread post by EMH_Mark_I » 2021-08-30, 02:30

From what I've read on this it looks like Windows is mucking about with the jpg / jpeg mime type. You can change the .jfif file extension to .jpeg or .jpg after downloading the file if need be.
There are some work-around tips out there on this, but I'm not going to recommend them here, you'll have to look.
Have you observed this behaviour from other browsers by any chance?

Edit: You are on Windows 10, correct? I am assuming here because I haven't seen this issue anywhere else but my work laptop running Windows 10.
Devuan Ceres | XFCE4
"Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee."

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Twitter images download as JFIF instead of JPEG

Unread post by therube » 2021-08-30, 16:29

All twitter images or only certain or...?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-C8m6DVQAYdezU?format=jpg&name=large

That seems to download with a .jpg extension.

(In simple terms, .jpg [JPEG/JFIF] are one in the same. And if a website says a particular file is "jfif" rather then "jpg", ones browser will download it as .jfif.)