Wordpress "Write" (new post) not working

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
jonjersey
New to the forum
New to the forum

Wordpress "Write" (new post) not working

Unread post by jonjersey » 2021-07-26, 12:41

This problem has existed for a few weeks, I think. I upgraded from PM 28 to PM 29 but that made no difference.

The "Write" button is active in that it prompts a series of handshakes, etc, but the result is a blank page with "Done" in the bottom left corner.

Under "Troubleshooting Information" for PM I see "WebGL creation failed" for WebGL 2 Driver fields - but I don't know if this is relevant.

It looks as if this is a similar outcome that has been reported by others for Wordpress Edit button.

Any thoughts?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Wordpress "Write" (new post) not working

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-26, 12:46

Please read and follow the steps in red text in the light red box above labelled "forum rules" applying to this board.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Disil07
Moon lover
Moon lover

Can't create and edit post in WordPress

Unread post by Disil07 » 2021-07-28, 05:49

This issues already appeared for the past few days, I think when WordPress decided to “combine” wp-admin with the usual dashboard. Basically, when I want to create a new post (or edit), it seems to load, but got stuck in a white blank screen.

I already tried:
1. Refresh page for several times
2. Using PM safe mode
3. Set User compatibility from Native to Firefox/Gecko Compatibility
4. Changing User agent on about:config (and reset it to default)

All of them seems useless. Here's some technical stuff that I got from Warning tab on Inspect Element

Code: Select all

Unhandled promise rejection Error: Failed to load script "//stats.wp.com/w.js?63"
Stack trace:
f@https://wordpress.com/calypso/fallback/8743.954429cf3f4ebb0fcba5.min.js:1:22166

23415.1a8f706c88a078c3ed51.min.js:2:59556
Stats are disabled  
nostats.js:1:1
JQMIGRATE: Migrate is installed, version 3.3.2  
SyntaxError: invalid identity escape in regular expression  
TypeError: media is undefined 
TypeError: c is undefined  
TypeError: _ is undefined
TypeError: i is undefined
TypeError: e is null
TypeError: d.media is undefined
TypeError: wp.editPost is undefined
TypeError: o.select(...) is null
TypeError: y.select(...) is null
Any suggestions?
Off-topic:
I actually want to post this details on https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=27184, but it seems I can't post any replies to it.
Debian 12 Bookworm - KDE Plasma 5.27
Intel Celeron N5100 - 4 gigs of RAM - 256 gigs of SSD

I can barely speak english, so bear that in mind when talking to me

Disil07
Moon lover
Moon lover

An Alternative Workaround for creating new WordPress post

Unread post by Disil07 » 2021-07-30, 02:51

I've been messing around with this browser config and WP settings for about 8 hours :coffee:, and today I finally found a workaround for creating new post and editing old posts. Before following this tutorials, set your WP interface language (not Blog language) to English. Without further ado let me start the explanation.

Creating a new post
1. You need to visit the page where you adjust/managing your post (probably https://wordpress.com/posts/<yourBlogAd ... dpress.com>).
2. Go to the top-right section of the page, find "Screen Options" dropdown menu, it should be located like this image:
3. Press that button, and select "Classic view". It will refresh the page, and change the interface to the old-style one.
4. Bookmark this address. This is important, so you don't have to change settings again. (Its probably https://(yourblogaddress.wordpress.com)/wp-admin/edit.php?preferred-view=classic
5. Follow this image instructions:
6. Paste it into a new tab address bar, and press enter. It will load the old "new post" editor. Bookmark this address too, so you dont have to choose "Classic Editor" every single time you want to make a new post.

Editing an existing post
1. Assuming you are bookmarking the page explained on Step 4 in previous tutorial, now what you have to do is visit that page.
2. Hover to the post you want to edit, and press "Classic Editor" everytime you want to edit a post/page, like this:

There are some features that aren't available on the Classic Editor though, for example:
1. Its interface is not too attractive
2. Not a visual editor, so you'll see html code when applying styles.

The good side of Classic Editor is:
1. Its lightweight (very fast compared to the normal Block Editor)
2. You can customize sidebars to match your wants
3. More powerful "focus mode", it hide more options than it is on Block Editor.
4. You can use this mode in every single browser that supports html5 (yes, Internet Explorer too).

Even though this work, I still hope Pale Moon Devs can fix this issues (or WP), so I can use the new (Block) editor. Thanks for reading, I hope you have a nice day :thumbup:
Last edited by Disil07 on 2021-07-30, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-30, 04:31

Contact them please.

Disil07
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Disil07 » 2021-07-31, 00:31

I have contacted them from the WordPress forum. They said:
Thanks for letting me know.
I had a look at the bug report we have open, and it seems that our developers are aware of the issue with the Pale Moon browser.

Until this bug is fixed, I’m afraid you’ll need to use a different browser.

You can also try our desktop and mobile apps:

apps.wordpress.com.

They give me this bug report page:
https://github.com/Automattic/wp-calyps ... -880472244

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-31, 01:15

Well they should still offer a fallback codepath regardless but we ARE actively working on getting the regex capabilities updated. Though we are annoyingly forced to follow MozProgression. So it is going to be a series of traps, pitfalls, and resolving insanity-based compiler nonsense every step of the way and there will be a few consequences because of that.

I am confident we shall prevail in the end but we are only moving at crawl with this but at least it IS moving forward unlike the previous 8 months where it was totally stalled out.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-31, 10:56

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-07-31, 01:15
So it is going to be a series of traps, pitfalls, and resolving insanity-based compiler nonsense every step of the way
Certainly to the level where it feels like after a day this would be the result of coding on it:
punji in boot.gif
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

ThomasG
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by ThomasG » 2021-07-31, 17:44

Just ran into the same problem. When you have the "classic editor" plugin for Wordpress installed, the switch to the classic interface might be handled more conveniently, i think. (I like it better for editing anyway. :D )

https://wordpress.org/plugins/classic-editor/
rect_20210731-194143.png

Disil07
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Disil07 » 2021-08-01, 01:52

Yes, but unfortunately you can't install plugin on free WordPress blog (like me :| ).

Also, update for my previous tutorial: You can enable "Visual" editor on the Classic Editor, buy you need to override your user agent on about:config. I tried to override it with this string

Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:71.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/71.0 PaleMoon/29.2.1
and it works. I know this isn't suggested by PM devs, but currently this is the only way to use editor and other function (Stats, settings, etc.)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-08-01, 03:31

SO they DO have a fallback but only for versions before the parser refresh at m-c?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-08-01, 09:37

If that SSOAU works, then why doesn't our default user-agent work (since we identify by default with a Firefox 68 version for compatibility)?

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Wordpress log in not working

Unread post by Drugwash » 2021-09-15, 06:13

The Wordpress shit hit the userbase fan - one can't even log in to their own blog since a few days ago. :evil:
It's not a user-agent issue.
Problem is the username field appears as disabled, cannot input anything.

Pale Moon 29.5.0a1 (2021.08.24) doesn't work, Basilisk v2021.07.19 doesn't work (in Linux Mint 19.2 / Ubuntu 18.04).
Waterfox G3.2.5, Tor 11.0a5, Opera 79.0.4143.22 and Firefox 92.0 they all work (correctly) in Mint.

Latest available/compatible K-Meleon, SeaMonkey, Lunascape, Maxthon5, MyPal - none works in XP.

Thought you should know in case nobody else reported it.

Disil07
Moon lover
Moon lover

An update

Unread post by Disil07 » 2021-09-26, 07:47

As per 26 September 2021, you can't use WordPress on Pale Moon anymore. Simply because the you can't login anymore. The email address column is blocked; you can't fill it.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Wordpress log in not working

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-09-26, 14:32

Drugwash wrote:
2021-09-15, 06:13
MyPal - none works in XP.
Leave.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-09-26, 20:07

Disil07 wrote:
2021-09-26, 07:47
you can't login anymore. The email address column is blocked; you can't fill it.

PM 29.4.1, FF compat mode:

On WordPress' front page, the Log In link initially redirected me to an outdated browser message.
Once there, clicking on "Continue loading the page anyway" opened a page that was blank but for the WP logo.

Error Console: front page showed nothing; the blank page showed the following...

Error: SyntaxError: expected expression, got '.'
Source File: https://wordpress.com/calypso/evergreen/72486.1ac1faee8493f52bb5a7.min.js
Line: 1, Column: 18756
Source Code:
s("./state/login/init.js");const n=e=>e.login.twoFactorAuth?.user_id??null,r=(e,t)=>e.login.twoFactorAuth?.[`two_step_no

Source File: https://wordpress.com/calypso/evergreen/48932.040599810bfa30e3acac.min.js
Line: 2, Column: 1813
Source Code:
igation")&&"undefined"!=typeof window&&!!window.IDBKeyRange?.lowerBound(0).includes&&!!window.webkitAudioContext&&!!wind

Source File: https://wordpress.com/calypso/evergreen/78211.17ee6982b2eb294182b4.min.js
Line: 1, Column: 2653
Source Code:
e&&(0,a.uI)();let s=e.localeVariant||e.localeSlug;const E=e?.use_fallback_for_incomplete_languages&&(0,o.Yk)(s);E&&(s=(0

Source File: https://wordpress.com/calypso/evergreen/entry-login.8951cce140c0ad1123f3.min.js
Line: 1, Column: 28536
Source Code:
:this.shouldUseRedirectLoginFlow()?"redirect":"popup"})),(g?.skip_user||g?.allow_site_connection)&&m.createElement(G.Z,{

Error: TypeError: window.AppBoot is not a function
Source File: https://wordpress.com/log-in?redirect_to=https%3A%2F%2Fwordpress.com%2F&bypassTargetRedirection=true
Line: 27