Blank page for Sophos Central (cloud.sophos.com)

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Darklurker
Moongazer
Moongazer

Blank page for Sophos Central (cloud.sophos.com)

Unread post by Darklurker » 2021-07-22, 13:57

Is anyone else using the Sophos Central management site? Since July 8th or 9th, all I get is a blank page if I go to any of the pages I have bookmarked:
https://cloud.sophos.com/manage/overview/dashboard
https://cloud.sophos.com/manage/overview/computers-list
https://cloud.sophos.com/manage/endpoint/dashboard

However, if I manually go to their login page (which I think may be some sort of front-end for Azure) the login box does show up and let me log-in
https://cloud.sophos.com/manage/login/a ... oken=<snip>
but once I log-in, it's back to blank pages.

I've tried using a new profile, but still get blank pages, so I'm guessing it's not related to something cached incorrectly.

There were hints of an issue back in the spring, when the Login box would sometimes give a hiccup and Palemoon would show the "script not responding" dialog. But I could click "Wait for script" and it would finally bring the page up after 10-15 seconds, and everything worked fine (and quickly) from then on. I guess they've broken it completely now.

We're a Sophos enterprise customer, so I've opened a ticket with them to complain about their lack of support for Palemoon, but I expect to get exactly squat in their response. And I know you Palemoon guys are busy with important stuff, so I'm not really asking for anything. Just kind of making a note that Sopho's management portal doesn't seem to work in PM anymore.

Thanks for all you do, PM gods. I'll lift a pint in your honor this weekend.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Blank page for Sophos Central (cloud.sophos.com)

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-22, 14:54

The problem is:

Code: Select all

16:51:42.181 SyntaxError: invalid identity escape in regular expression 1 sophos.js:2:832849
(which would have been useful to include as per the board rules posted in the red box above... why is everyone ignoring it?)

Since js is obfuscated we can't meaningfully analyse further on this end. I do think it's particularly bad that people rely on fragile JS to display any page content, but I guess that's a question for a different thread than this one.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Darklurker
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Darklurker » 2021-07-22, 18:22

Sorry. I thought that was more for Devs than end-users, and honestly, had never used the error console before now. But now I know, and I've learned something new. Thanks man.

If I hear back from Sophos, I'll let them know it's an error on their end.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-07-22, 18:45

It's too bad sites like this still have empty elements, or I'd add detection of "contentless pages" to my http error page extension. But you never know when someone's gonna create a website entirely using background images and ::before or ::after elements, with no detectable textContent of any kind. I might be able to do it visually, by screenshotting the page after a few seconds and then checking every pixel's color.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-22, 20:39

Off-topic:
RealityRipple wrote:
2021-07-22, 18:45
But you never know when someone's gonna create a website entirely using background images and ::before or ::after elements
or shadow DOM...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-07-22, 21:01

Actually if the entire thing uses shadow DOM and doesn't render at all on PM, it's exactly the kind of thing I'd want to show an error page for. Of course, after issue 1361 is that checkbox closer to completion, I'd be in trouble again.

I'm gonna see how messy and costly an "is this screenshot blank?" test is.

Edit:

Code: Select all

const dt = ctx.getImageData(0, 0, canvas.width, canvas.height);
let r = dt.data.filter(b => b !== 255);
console.log(r.length > 0);
returns a result in almost an instant. I'm gonna see about adding this to HTerr. I'll make the check wait time editable, but I figure a default of 10 to 15 seconds after "load" would probably be enough time for a page to show... something.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-07-24, 03:03

Just uploaded HTerr v1.1, which includes a new "blank page" error display, and shows any relevant console errors in a box.

By default, it waits 10 seconds after a page's data loads before checking, but the time is adjustable between 1 and 60 via about:config preference "extensions.hterr.blankwait". A value of 0 disables the feature.

This feature will not detect "mostly blank" pages - the entire page has to be 100% white, and there can't be any scrollbars.

Here's a screenshot of the error page shown for the links provided:
Attachments
hterr11.png