feedly.com/i/latest

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Anthony_m
New to the forum
New to the forum

feedly.com/i/latest

Unread post by Anthony_m » 2021-07-20, 20:42

https://feedly.com/i/latest don't open in my Palemoon v29.3.0 (2021-07-19/20), even in v29.2.1 (2021-06-08) from today afternoon.
I tried in safe mode without success.
In Chrome my page is loaded normally.

Errore message on the page:
Oops! Feedly failed to load :-(
Please try to reload https://feedly.com/ in case this is due to a networking or caching issue.
In some cases, some browser extensions can interfere with the loading of Feedly. If you have some browser extensions installed, try to load Feedly in an incognito window and see if that resolves the issue. If it does, you can try to disable extensions one by one to determine where the conflict is.
Finally, this could be caused by a bug in Feedly. If this is the case, please send an email to care@feedly.com and we will be happy to help.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: feedly.com/i/latest

Unread post by Admin » 2021-07-20, 21:01

Include the information requested in the red box above
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-07-20, 21:12

The page's script uses nullish coalescing (the ?? operator). See Issue 1734 and tangentially Issue 1658.

SemiKebab
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by SemiKebab » 2021-07-23, 09:14

For your information, I quickly got in touch with the Feedly team.

I demonstrated that using short-evaluation "||" was working as well in the relevant cases. I also explained that as the "??" produce parsing errors, there is no way to shim/workaround that.
They said they use a transpiler and no longer target old browsers, to reduce asset size thus improve performance for modern browsers.

My best guess is that they use Babel, they were already using the "??" operator previously, and they recently disabled this plugin.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-23, 10:09

SemiKebab wrote:
2021-07-23, 09:14
no longer target old browsers
We aren't an old browser. We are an alternative browser.
SemiKebab wrote:
to reduce asset size thus improve performance for modern browsers.
If they want to reduce asset size they should not use a transpiler or massive libraries. Just breaking the web is not a good trade-off for saving a few bytes.
Do they really think that a few microseconds of parsing a slightly longer js source line is going to make ANY difference in modern browser performance?... :eh:
SemiKebab wrote:
they recently disabled this plugin.
...effectively limiting their website compatibility to Chrome and The Exact Same™

Bottom line is there is no practical or technical reason to use ?? if they aren't even writing the resulting code to begin with, and even if they did, it would be trivial to remain browser-agnostic with a just-as-straightforward different use of JS code.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

SemiKebab
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by SemiKebab » 2021-07-26, 20:17

I agree with you. The very small benefits aren't worth completely breaking the website on some platforms. It's even broken on IE, Edge Legacy, or Chrome/Firefox released before 2020. It's just far too soon to use these operators without the transpiling. Did they just think of corporate environments, where people could be stuck on outdated browser? Hope they will reconsider they mind.

If it were up to me, I would use "||" the most possible, yet enabling the Babel plugin if there are remaining cases where "??" is worth it. I would also use the "noDocumentAll" assumption so that these Babel transpiles would be relatively small.

Though, these "??" and "?." operators are now available on all main browsers (namely, Chromium-based and Firefox), thus it's only a matter of time before more and more websites start using these operators.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-26, 20:52

SemiKebab wrote:
2021-07-26, 20:17
Though, these "??" and "?." operators are now available on all main browsers (namely, Chromium-based and Firefox), thus it's only a matter of time before more and more websites start using these operators.
We are well aware of the fact that soydevs will use them because they exist in Chrome. There's a reason we have open issues for these! It's not like we're "not going to" but it's not trivial to change the way a very complex parser for scripting works. And we can't break the parser because JS is also what drives our UI, so it needs great care to touch a core component like that (which is why it's bounty material -- you know of a programmer who would like to earn a chunk of cash? they will get paid if they tackle that)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

s8472
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by s8472 » 2021-07-28, 18:53

Seems like feedly.com has "fixed" something and is not failing in the Palemoon anymore.
At least it works for me right now.

SemiKebab
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by SemiKebab » 2021-07-29, 02:36

That's good news. They changed their mind after all. :thumbup:

I would bet they received many complaints...