LinkedIn is showing as a blank page with a mostly blank navbar

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
BrokenEye
Moongazer
Moongazer

LinkedIn is showing as a blank page with a mostly blank navbar

Unread post by BrokenEye » 2021-07-10, 04:05

As far as I know, this started in the most recent version of Pale Moon (until recently I didn't visit the site very often). Whenever I go to LinkedIn, no matter what page I go to, it loads as only a blank off-white page with a navbar, but the only button on the navbar is the "home" button, the one with the LinkedIn logo on it (which still works, though the page it sends you to has the same error, so it's not exactly helpful). Naturally this renders the site totally unusable. What's worse, I can't report it to LinkedIn's tech support, because their support page is a page on LinkedIn, and so the error happens there too. The only difference is what it says in the address bar.

Turning off AdBlock and my VPN have no effect. Disabling plugins has no effect. The problem occurs on both computers I own, which run different versions of Windows. LinkedIn still works on other browsers but, you know, I'm trying to limit my active logins.

Here's the web console stuff they told me to include:
Content Security Policy: Directive ‘child-src’ has been deprecated. Please use directive ‘worker-src’ to control workers, or directive ‘frame-src’ to control frames respectively.
(unknown)
Content Security Policy: Couldn’t parse invalid host 'report-sample'
(unknown)
Content Security Policy: Ignoring “'unsafe-inline'” within script-src or style-src: nonce-source or hash-source specified
(unknown)
unreachable code after return statement[Learn More]
dpmk9x6naqqv7akeifcbykmzx:3734
bhq645bgrvjlms88961nexx83:6
3nzivj4g71hkymrb41xa1rnbd:6
3nzivj4g71hkymrb41xa1rnbd:6
No route based profile for route profile.view.index.index. Falling back to global profile voyager-web-global
6oydvamu0ccyz6bjubzwr4zq1:58:226
5gwk4yescvesqfy07870i0pnx:6
SyntaxError: invalid regexp group
dpmk9x6naqqv7akeifcbykmzx:28884:187
TypeError: n is null[Learn More]
6oydvamu0ccyz6bjubzwr4zq1:4878:1
XML Parsing Error: no root element found
Location: https://realtime.www.linkedin.com/realt ... dHeartbeat
Line Number 1, Column 1:
realtimeFrontendClientConnectivityTracking:1:1
TypeError: n is null[Learn More]

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: LinkedIn is showing as a blank page with a mostly blank navbar

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-11, 16:00

It's the problem with relying on JS to render page content and not making it robust enough.
The issue seems to be the following line:

Code: Select all

SyntaxError: invalid regexp group
Which would mean they rely on a specific extension to regular expressions introduced by Google.

Unfortunately since all their scripting is minified and obfuscated there's no definitive info about why the page doesn't render, just that that is the most likely problem, and I don't think LinkedIn has any interest targeting browser engines other than Blink (Chrome/Edge/Brave/Opera/etc.)

We have an open issue to get this in, but so far very little progress as adapting Blink's regular expression parser to our use is proving very problematic.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2021-07-12, 00:08

LinkedIn appears to work for me on Linux.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-12, 02:12

Just checked and it does seem to work for me too (for what I can see without an account anyway).
Did you mess with the user-agent, perhaps?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2021-07-12, 13:32

I've just taken a look and it seems that the site is partly broken.

Go direct to a random job advert - https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/2645581989/ - and I get the blank page reported by BrokenEye.
The main page is fine, and I can login - but if I do then the main navbar is also blank, as reported.

I last logged on a few weeks ago when it was OK, so there must have been a recent change.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-12, 13:50

Well, feel free to report it to them but since they consider themselves "too big to be in error" don't expect them to make any changes.

BrokenEye
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by BrokenEye » 2021-07-13, 07:28

Moonchild wrote:
2021-07-12, 02:12
Did you mess with the user-agent, perhaps?
I don't know what that means, so probably not.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-13, 11:17

Falna wrote:
2021-07-12, 13:32
Go direct to a random job advert - https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/2645581989/ - and I get the blank page reported by BrokenEye.
I don't get a blank page as reported, but it does seem to have big white spaces and doesn't have clear navigation so i guess it is missing a few things (unless those are big-ass ads).

As an aside, got to love that tight integration with Google now; see the "Oh just click this button to have all data Google has shared with us" pop-in, that somehow already knows who I am while I'm unknown to linkedIn ;P)
Attachments
FireShot Pro Screen Capture #280 - 'Compañía Sector Inmobiliario hiring Abogado in Greater Barcelona Metropolitan Area I LinkedIn' - www_linkedin_com_jobs_view_2645581989.jpg

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2021-07-13, 11:57

Moonchild wrote:
2021-07-13, 11:17
I don't get a blank page as reported
Neither do I, today - I'm now seeing the same as you. Guess something's changed again.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-13, 12:00

Falna wrote:
2021-07-13, 11:57
Neither do I, today - I'm now seeing the same as you. Guess something's changed again.
Well it must have been going back and forth then? It hasn't been a problem when I first checked after the OP reported, and again 2 times after now. I haven't seen the problem so far.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-07-14, 02:27

I can see 'invalid regexp group' among other errors when opening the home page so that's one data point.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

jars_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by jars_ » 2021-07-14, 07:50

It seems to work for me.
I can see 'invalid regexp group'

I have another error:

Code: Select all

ReferenceError: PerformanceObserver is not defined             1z7bn1n1b87jcv6x1gaha4xqp:1:115879
	<anonymous> https://static-exp1.licdn.com/sc/h/1z7bn1n1b87jcv6x1gaha4xqp:1:115879
Content Security Policy: Ignoring “'unsafe-inline'” within script-src: ‘strict-dynamic’ specified  
(unknown)
Content Security Policy: Ignoring “https:” within script-src: ‘strict-dynamic’ specified  
(unknown)
Content Security Policy: Ignoring “http:” within script-src: ‘strict-dynamic’ specified

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-07-14, 09:46

Yeah, the home page opens fine.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-07-14, 11:11

It is obvious that Microsoft is continuing to assimilate LinkedIn and implanting it with more Google Technology that never needed to previously exist for a highly successful service and only works within the Chrome Collective. Just like they are doing to Github, have done to skype, did to hotmail and everything else they have bought and corrupted.

WebComponents are next, I am sure. Sure is funny how all these sites always pick the bits WE don't have and are having trouble getting or don't want. The same several things.. Insane regex, Insane Dynamic ESModules, Deprecated Window.event, Worthless PerformanceObserver, Retarded WebComponents, Monopolistic Widevine DRM, and Ridiculous WebRTC...

BrokenEye
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by BrokenEye » 2021-07-22, 04:04

Now I'm getting a blank page on my Windows 10 computer but not on my Windows 7 computer. It's progress, and the site is no longer totally unusable, but... what the heck?

BrokenEye
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by BrokenEye » 2021-07-31, 07:09

And now it's back to doing it on both computers.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-31, 10:49

Complain to LinkedIn about your browsing experience, please. They are clearly messing with their site code in a detrimental way.

BrokenEye
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by BrokenEye » 2021-09-01, 06:45

I got in touch with LinkedIn a couple days ago. They said they'd take it under consideration, so it's basically a black box for me from here on out.

However: I don't know if it was because of my call or just a coincidence, but the site seems to be mostly working now. There are still some elements missing, and the navbar is still noticeably devoid of buttons, but overall it seems to be largely functional.