Waifu2x Image Enlarger returns an API error after fed images to enlarge.

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Waifu2x Image Enlarger returns an API error after fed images to enlarge.

Unread post by Mæstro » 2021-07-06, 19:44

The full link is <http://waifu2x.udp.jp/>: this is a tool to enlarge (mostly anime) pictures. Heeding its warning that the saving function does not work in Firefox (or, by extension, any non-Chrome browser), I click the ‘convert’ button; I use this picture to test. Whether I use it live from the internet or uploaded from locally, the Web page however invariably opens a new tab at <http://waifu2x.udp.jp/api> holding only the error image attached. Holding Control-S while clicking ‘convert’ saves the page’s HTML, not any image. Am I doing something wrong? If not, is there a compatible substitute to enlarge anime pictures that will work as it ought?
Attachments
Returned image attempting to use Waifu2x.
Returned image attempting to use Waifu2x.
Unbenannt.png (3.38 KiB) Viewed 596 times
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Waifu2x Image Enlarger returns an API error after fed images to enlarge.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-06, 20:00

If it's designed specifically for Chrome then you're likely just stuck with having to use a chromium-based browser, but maybe someone who has time can analyze it for you.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2021-07-06, 20:48

Hitherto I have used Epiphany, my catch-all for anything that fails in Pale Moon, for this; it works fine there. I suspect this is just bad design where there is nought to do but find a replacement, but will wait should somebody else know what might be going on. (Its operating code is on Github and linked on the page, so I should think somebody with the informatics background and free time could in principle inspect.) Thank you all the same.

daniel-p96

Unread post by daniel-p96 » 2021-07-08, 21:24

I just tried as described with the same image (live from internet) and worked without problem.
After clicking convert <http://waifu2x.udp.jp/api> opened in a new tab with the enlarged image.
Pale Moon 29.4.6
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon 64-bit

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2021-07-14, 17:12

daniel-p96 wrote:
2021-07-08, 21:24
I just tried as described with the same image (live from internet) and worked without problem.
After clicking convert <http://waifu2x.udp.jp/api> opened in a new tab with the enlarged image.
I can confirm; Waifu2x worked as it ought in a fresh profile. The issue may lie with Decentraleyes or µBlock, but is not the browser’s own fault. I may experiment with my extensions to see whence my malfunction came, but it is not a compatibility issue. I consider this issue closed. Thank you for the hint!

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2021-07-21, 09:05

The solution had been known to me for some time. You select DOWNLOAD instead of CONVERT. I have been on Pale Moon for 2 years, and it worked always, including 2 days ago.