medium.com goes to the top by selecting text

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
MoonWalker
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

medium.com goes to the top by selecting text

Unread post by MoonWalker » 2021-07-05, 12:50

Just FYI
Selecting something in the text body of whatever entry hosted on medium.com causes the page goes immediately to the top, like it was refreshed. By selecting text, page calls on a bubble with highlight tool and twitter shortcut, probably that has to do with the strange behavior ... or not.
Debugger gives an immense message, so I can not paste here.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: medium.com goes to the top by selecting text

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-07-05, 13:49

MoonWalker wrote:
2021-07-05, 12:50
whatever entry hosted on medium.com
A sample link would've helped. Also you can use code tags (the button with </> in the forum post editor) for long blocks of text, be it troubleshooting info or error messages.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

MoonWalker
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by MoonWalker » 2021-07-05, 14:32

Sorry, some sample link: https://medium.com/technical-excellence ... 8edf009a62

I am not allowed to paste the entire code provided by debugger because it has more than 430 thousand characters and posts allow just 60 thousand. Debugger console provides a code 674 lines long.

Some messages about features "not supported" are these below, but I do not know if they are related with the issue I have described above.

"CORS is not supported on this browser, aborting."
"process.binding is not supported"
"process.chdir is not supported"
"eval is not supported in CSP mode"

By bubble with highlight tool and twitter shortcut, I mean this:
Attachments
Bubble.png

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-07-05, 14:57

Can confirm, and can see how horribly annoying it would be when you've read till the bottom of an article and it leaps back to the top. Besides you were asked to provide console output, not debugger code - obviously what you're seeing there is page source which anyone else accessing the site can view for themselves.
Console is useless - nothing there but a 'we're hiring' message.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-05, 15:38

This isn't a browser issue. Their "popper" mini-window is attached to an element that sits at the very top of the page. By focusing it, the browser will scroll to the element (by design), regardless of whether the visual absolutely positioned child will end up out of view as a result.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite