YouTube removes comments created with Pale Moon

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: YouTube removes comments created with Pale Moon

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-18, 22:17

KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:
2021-06-18, 22:09
I think this is a test for an AI that will protect YT users from "harmful" comments. Mine are deleted most of the time lately, sometimes reinstated. Sometimes I have to post again for it to stick. 2 people noticed it too, how my comments keep getting auto-deleted. A social credit system may be in place to determine how "toxic" you are.
Nice theory but that doesn't add up.
I hardly ever comment and whenever I do it's constructive and polite. And my comments get deleted just the same. So no, that's not what's going on.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-18, 22:22

Could be anything really imcluding browser or user or ai or any xomvo therein.

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2021-06-18, 22:24

@KlarkKentThe3rd, That could very well be the case; I just checked my 1/2 missing comment and now it's completely gone, not even in history. and the comment had to do with reposting the vid @gab :eh: Alternately I made a comment about Pale Moon/Basilisk being the best browser hands down, on a review of the safest browsers where they made absolutely no mention of PM or Basilisk...That one is still there. Of course it could all be coinkadink...yeah
Pale Moon 32.5.0 (64) Win7 pro (64) Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz-16 GB DDR3

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

"Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health." ~Carl Jung

pm727272
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by pm727272 » 2021-06-19, 09:24

Looks absolutely random to me, what sticks and what doesn't.

Yesterday I felt particularly stubborn or pissed off, so I spent a few minutes posting and reposting the very same comment on the same video, only to see it deleted a few seconds later. I also verified that quickly editing it before it vanished made no difference at all.

I opened Pale Moon preferences and changed the UA Mode from "Firefox compatibility" to "Native". Then reposted my comment and voila!

Cause/effect? Of course not! My next comment on a different video vanished right away.

And today, that comment that survived for at least 30' after the UA mode change has vanished.

So yeah, it all makes a lot of sense if they're aiming at pissing people off in creative ways.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2021-06-19, 09:33

Can content from other sites like facebook for example have an influence on comment creation in youtube.?..Just say for example a facebook user gets banned for offensive posting,Can youtube be informed of this and censor in this fashion.?.

Google seems to control everything and non youtube posting material may have an influence on youtube.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-19, 10:22

If you are important enough over 60 sites and services will coordinate your ban within 24 hours else you will simply be gotten to eventually.

pm727272
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by pm727272 » 2021-06-19, 12:33

Moonraker wrote:
2021-06-19, 09:33
Can content from other sites like facebook for example have an influence on comment creation in youtube.?..Just say for example a facebook user gets banned for offensive posting,Can youtube be informed of this and censor in this fashion.?.

Google seems to control everything and non youtube posting material may have an influence on youtube.
Not sure about other sites, but I wouldn't touch Facebook with a ten-foot pole :) Never have, never will.

Too old (and paranoid I guess) for that shit.

Dgwphotos
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Dgwphotos » 2021-06-19, 17:01

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-06-18, 07:39
Dgwphotos wrote:
2021-06-18, 06:45
Regular Firefox does not seem to have this problem.
Good for regular Firefox.. How does that help us .. or you for that matter?
I'm isolating the problem and testing/implementing a work around.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2021-06-24, 00:53

KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:
2021-06-18, 22:09
I think this is a test for an AI that will protect YT users from "harmful" comments. Mine are deleted most of the time lately, sometimes reinstated. Sometimes I have to post again for it to stick. 2 people noticed it too, how my comments keep getting auto-deleted. A social credit system may be in place to determine how "toxic" you are.
I can't confirm this as of very recently.

But, years ago, somewhere in or around 2015, YouTube, with comments, used to randomly reply with "Error, try again" (or similar) and honestly didn't 100 percent know why, at best. In fact, I don't even know more than 60 percent or 80 percent why it even did that!

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-06-26, 19:05

I don't comment often, but maybe once a week or so.
I've started to notice this as well. I've commented 5 times on a video now trying to get it to stick. It just gets deleted immediately. There is nothing about the comment that would suggest it is being deleted by the channel admins, or some content filter, or anything like that.
Fun times with Alphabet! :crazy:

Edit: Their Help/Support pages don't work either, nor does there "Report a problem with Help/Support" feature. :lol:
I did find a way to report an issue, and have told them about all 3 mentioned above. I'm sure it will go into /dev/null over there, but I tried.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-06-27, 15:33

I've tried a few posts since, and I'm just dead in the water. Not a single one sticks around.
Super obnoxious, but what else would we expect from Alphabet Soup?

pm727272
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by pm727272 » 2021-06-27, 19:51

Curiously enough, none of my comments (not that many TBH) sent as replies to "community" posts have been removed. So possibly (?) whatever YouTube is doing only affects comments to videos.

It all makes sooo much sense...

petrus4
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by petrus4 » 2021-06-28, 09:17

I am having the same problem. At first I suspected that I might have been shadowbanned, because a week or so ago I did make a particularly controversial comment on a video, which I'm pretty sure the uploader did find and delete almost straight away. I still keep a copy of Firefox as a backup however, and I tested commenting with it. It turns out that commenting works in FF, so I haven't been shadowbanned.

I assume that MoonChild is correct, about this simply being Google's usual corporate psychopathy, with regards to controlling which user agents can access the site. Hopefully we will find a workaround for it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-28, 10:46

petrus4 wrote:
2021-06-28, 09:17
Hopefully we will find a workaround for it.
It doesn't seem likely. I think they tied it in with using fallback web code on their site; i.e. if you need an older version of Polymer, then you are not worthy to comment.

It would be a typical machine learning flaw, by the way:
  1. Comment spambots are often based on limited/older browser engines
  2. Spam gets flagged
  3. Machine learning sees a pattern: "older engines = spam"
  4. Pale Moon user comments get flagged as spam and removed for the browser not supporting all the latest shinies
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

petrus4
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by petrus4 » 2021-06-28, 11:17

Moonchild wrote:
2021-06-28, 10:46
petrus4 wrote:
2021-06-28, 09:17
Hopefully we will find a workaround for it.
It doesn't seem likely. I think they tied it in with using fallback web code on their site; i.e. if you need an older version of Polymer, then you are not worthy to comment.
I have noticed that the attitude of online corporations, tends to be that the number of their consumers who they either ban, or who for some other reason can not access their service, will never exceed more than (at the most) 5% of their overall consumer population; which they believe means that they can afford to have total disregard for them.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-06-28, 12:23

petrus4 wrote:
2021-06-28, 11:17
I have noticed that the attitude of online corporations, tends to be that the number of their consumers who they either ban, or who for some other reason can not access their service, will never exceed more than (at the most) 5% of their overall consumer population; which they believe means that they can afford to have total disregard for them.
I blame Apple for this state of affairs. Steve Jobs figured that catering to the lowest common denominator in terms of IQ is a license to print money, and now everyone has jumped on that bandwagon of locking and dumbing down everything.
I still haven't got over Amazon nuking 20 years worth of IMDb discussions allegedly because 'spam and hate speech' - there were thousands of amazing threads and insightful commentary on different movies, even the most obscure ones.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

pm727272
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by pm727272 » 2021-06-28, 12:56

moonbat wrote:
2021-06-28, 12:23
I still haven't got over Amazon nuking 20 years worth of IMDb discussions allegedly because 'spam and hate speech' - there were thousands of amazing threads and insightful commentary on different movies, even the most obscure ones.
Neither have I, that made quit IMDb immediately. I still miss those forums, I don't think there's anything like them.

As for YouTube, yesterday the gods were kind enough to allow me one comment. It's still up, but who knows for how long at this point.

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2021-06-30, 12:53

As of recent, 1 comment went through and stayed for days. Coincidentally, in it I complained about Google deleting messages just because of my browser choice.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2021-06-30, 14:42

Off-topic:
Is this IMDb Message Board backup/archive considered complete? Looks pretty nice.

https://filmboards.com/

update: looks like you can actually continue posting - sort of a seamless continuation of the old boards

nord1
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by nord1 » 2021-06-30, 19:08

pm727272 wrote:
2021-06-19, 12:33
Moonraker wrote:
2021-06-19, 09:33

Not sure about other sites, but I wouldn't touch Facebook with a ten-foot pole :) Never have, never will.

Too old (and paranoid I guess) for that shit.
pm727272,

Agree, but managed way back in the beginning to use a fake name for Facebook and so far, can post, if I feel like it (seldom).

Nick
-N-
Framework, Windows 11 Pro, Basilisk, Panda Dome, MalwareBytesPremium, Scotty is On Patrol