YouTube removes comments created with Pale Moon

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: YouTube removes comments created with Pale Moon

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-08-09, 12:49

p-s-t wrote:
2021-08-08, 11:38
i just registered to post about it and looks like i am not crazy after all.
Moonchild wrote:
2021-07-08, 17:18
I think we had already long since established that this is a generic youtube problem. It's pointless to still make posts now confirming the problem, it's already been confirmed many times over.

app.php/rules#rule-1b
Please kindly read the entire thread before deciding to post.

And take note of this post which has links to YouTube support. Follow those links and read.

p-s-t wrote:
Any chance we could fool it ... and attempt to look like some other browser ?
No.
1. It's already been tried. (Again, read the thread, all of it, before posting.)
2. The built-in SSUAO was specifically chosen to make youtube videos work in Pale Moon. Pretending to be, for example, Chrome will have negative consequences since it will falsely advertise the browser's feature set.

shevy
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by shevy » 2021-08-18, 19:15

I think I have observed something similar, but it was too sporadic for me (oddly enough) to trace back. I distinctly
remember having replied in the past (back when I was still using youtube + comments that is; after Google's
FLoC sniffing I am done with Google-as-a-service for good) but not all comments showed up. I did not really
investigate but it was strange.

All I can recommend is to watch closely whether this problem shows up again, if so how and where. Perhaps
some comments don't show up instantly for whatever the reason? It's unfortunate when simple commenting
ends up becoming in a semi-ghostly state ... on facebook, back when I was using it, some comments were
insta-flagged as "offensive" or "assumed to be spam". Similar with twitter, back when I was using twitter.

It may be some kind of automatic checking one way or another too. Not that I think this is all the same
reason, but I am pretty certain that code is the main problem. I actually often think it has more to do with
javascript, but I know way too little to really comment much about it excluding the very basics.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-08-18, 20:34

shevy wrote:
2021-08-18, 19:15
I think I have observed something similar...
[...]
may be some kind of automatic checking...
Already confirmed by numerous people. Please read the thread before deciding to post.
See rule 1.b.

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2021-08-19, 00:38

I just recently have had one comment "disappear" from YT; It was on the CNN Channel, and I basically told them they were an enabler/pusher of some
of the disastrous current events unfolding, and that they had blood on their hands (the short version) That comment is totally gone...Alternately
my comment at "Ocean Conservation Namibia" Channel I can see, and apparently others can because the author "hearted" it (how sweet)

So there is definitely something fishy going on, but then I suppose CNN could have done it too.
In any event I am weaning myself from YT -down to 2 views a week- and soon down to None
I dislike doing this but feel I must, if for nothing else than my own sanity.

Other than that which (described above) the browser is not responsible for, Pale Moon works splendidly in YT
and anyplace else I visit. :D
Pale Moon 32.5.0 (64) Win7 pro (64) Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz-16 GB DDR3

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

"Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health." ~Carl Jung

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-08-19, 03:16

Kathuluforz wrote:
2021-08-19, 00:38
the browser is not responsible
Long since well established.

Kathuluforz wrote:
2021-08-19, 00:38
something fishy going on
It's YT's badly busted AI.

Over the past couple of months, this has happened to a huge number of people, many of whom weren't posting anything "political". YouTube "Community Help" has been flooded with complaints (that YT claims they're looking into).

(If in future YT claims to have fixed this AND the bulk of complaints actually dies down, yet your comments still get deleted, that would be the time to reconsider the reasons.)

Please see my previous post.

On "YouTube Help", please see:
- Section of their forum, that filters on "comments";
- "Youtube keeps deleting my comments";
- "Recent Reports of Missing Comments"
(For YouTube Help, you need to use a mainstream browser to see beyond the first page.)

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2021-08-19, 22:18

That's fine that YT is looking into this, but for me it has little bearing on my choice to stop using their service, (as I comment @YT very rarely) I have other
beefs with them and until they fix their act that won't change for me.
Pale Moon 32.5.0 (64) Win7 pro (64) Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz-16 GB DDR3

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

"Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health." ~Carl Jung

baylisjae
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by baylisjae » 2021-08-31, 20:55

What is the situation right now?

[PCMartin]
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by [PCMartin] » 2021-09-01, 00:07

baylisjae wrote:
2021-08-31, 20:55
What is the situation right now?
The situation for me is that I no longer waste my time composing thoughtful comments for YouTube, since apparently no one else — at least no member of the general public — will ever see them. Curating comments sections to manufacture consent is nothing new; the New York Times has been doing it for at least a couple of decades.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it, good and hard. ;)
x
xxxxx—— HL Mencken (with improved punctuation and a winking smiley)

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2021-10-04, 23:37

I know it's been over a month, but has the situation improved at all?
I've been trying commenting with MS Edge and it seems to be going smoothly. (I'm afraid to try it with PM for the moment.)
Has anyone had any different experiences?

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-10-05, 01:11

I tried again a couple days ago and the behavior is the same. Instant deletion (like it was never posted) yet the comment counter increments.

The best place to deal with this might be in the YouTube support thread linked earlier. Annoyingly I can't post there though. WebComponents I think? I forget...

MoonWalker
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by MoonWalker » 2021-10-05, 04:31

Could that be a mismatch between IP location and timezone, as suggested here?:https://issueexplorer.com/issue/Waterfo ... erfox/2180
Recently, some sites (e.g. LinkedIn) are requiring to solve captchas to prove that I am not a robot, could that behavior be related with the mysterious vanishing of comments? (due comments would be automatic labeled as made by bots 🤖)

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2021-10-05, 07:48

MoonWalker wrote:
2021-10-05, 04:31
Could that be a mismatch between IP location and timezone, as suggested here?
The potential reason almost does not matter, since it is definitely Youtube's (Google's) fault, and no other site I ever left a comment on had the same problem.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-10-05, 09:18

MoonWalker wrote:
2021-10-05, 04:31
Could that be a mismatch between IP location and timezone
Absolutely not. At least not by itself. If that were the case I shouldn't have any problems and I do.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-10-09, 16:04

Update:

I had two fresh comments actually work just now. :o

Two replies to those comments were deleted immediately, but the original two comments remained. Seems a fresh comment might work sometimes, but replies are still totally borked.

Edit: Hmmm, the second pure comment has been deleted, and only my original comment remains now. C'est la vie.

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2021-10-16, 09:24

It seems like the problem is slowly being fixed on my end. Not all fixed, but commenting actually works more often now.

pm727272
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by pm727272 » 2021-10-23, 20:23

I really hope that's the case for someone, but for me it remains exactly the same.

Every single comment I make on community posts stays up, but those made on videos disappear right away.

artenounx

Unread post by artenounx » 2021-10-31, 11:54

moonbat wrote:
2021-06-28, 12:23
I still haven't got over Amazon nuking 20 years worth of IMDb discussions
Many topics have been deleted on IMDb before. The reasons are different. For example, discussions about a popular actor. You go in a year later and compare with Web Archive - there are no old topics. I specifically checked. IMDb discussions were unreliable.
p-s-t wrote:
Any chance we could fool it and make our beloved browser to wear the proverbial sheep clothing
I suggest that the developers of Pale Moon implement all the necessary polyfiles.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-10-31, 12:03

artenounx wrote:
2021-10-31, 11:54
I suggest that the developers of Pale Moon implement all the necessary polyfiles.
You mean "polyfills".
Polyfills are js modules that have to be provided by web content, and webmasters should do so if they care about being browser-agnostic. But clearly they aren't... Especially not Google (who own YouTube) who have used it as a platform to push more adoption of Chrome to begin with.
It's not something that can be "implemented" on the browser side.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-10-31, 23:49

artenounx wrote:
2021-10-31, 11:54
Many topics have been deleted on IMDb before
I'm referring to the nuking of the entire discussion board system. Individual thread & comment moderation is a feature of forums everywhere.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

artenounx

Unread post by artenounx » 2021-11-01, 03:17

Moonchild
By the way, once I saw in NoScript on some sites that scripts are loaded from polyfill.io. If all sites did this...
I've already disabled NoScript.

moonbat
And Yahoo Answers have also been killed.
Although, I prefer to block comments and ratings on many sites in uBlock (for example, youtube, imdb). It's hard, I have to make complex rules with nth-ancestor and has-text.