YouTube removes comments created with Pale Moon

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Nated

Re: YouTube removes comments created with Pale Moon

Unread post by Nated » 2021-11-25, 02:41

Would there possibly be a fix for this, or would Youtube disable this browser permanently from commenting altogether because it is "no longer Firefox"?

Also is it possible that one of you can one of you code an add-on that would enable Dislikes on Youtube, since there are several addons that does so already for both Firefox and Chrome? I would even suggest an addon be officially part of a Pale Moon update (which would also popularize this browser a bit).

At this point, I just want Youtube to go under and let something like Rumble take over completely.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-11-25, 02:59

Nated wrote:
2021-11-25, 02:41
At this point, I just want Youtube to go under and let something like Rumble take over completely.
Off-topic:
It's not going anywhere as long as content creators and their viewers choose to remain on it. A few have mirrored their content on other places like Bitchute but for now there's no stopping the positive feedback loop of people using it because there's more content on it and content creators publishing on it because they have a larger audience.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Nated

Unread post by Nated » 2021-12-13, 20:17

I have no idea what is going to happen now, since the userscript for the Return Youtube Dislike thing isn't working at all for Pale Moon, and Youtube removed the API entirely. This browser could see a ton of new users if it included it's own script for showing Youtube dislikes in a future update, on top of returning the feature to comment there without it being removed.

pm727272
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by pm727272 » 2021-12-13, 22:07

I don't want to sound too optimistic here, but after weeks without even trying to post comments on YouTube, these past days I've successfully posted two on videos (prior to that, I could only post comments on community posts, not videos).

Will that mean something's changed on their end? Who knows.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-12-14, 00:11

pm727272 wrote:
2021-12-13, 22:07
This browser could see a ton of new users if it included it's own script for showing Youtube dislikes in a future update
No browser can magically bring back a feature of a website that the website operator decides to completely remove as opposed to simply hiding it.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2021-12-14, 03:28

moonbat wrote:
2021-12-14, 00:11
No browser can magically bring back a feature of a website that the website operator decides to completely remove as opposed to simply hiding it.
Basically 100% correct. A website owner can break their own website 10 times until a browser dev adds a monthly update that fixes something.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-12-14, 05:28

For the same reason, porting an old FF extension for a third party website that you don't control is a waste of time besides possibly violating their TOS. Websites keep changing every other day for shits and giggles to keep up with latest crap introduced in Chrome, so your extension will keep breaking. At best you can request the site in question to update their extension (good luck with that)

Kand_in_Sky
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Kand_in_Sky » 2021-12-14, 18:13

pm727272 wrote:
confirmed. me left a comment 15 minutes ago, it's not deleted, it's still there... :?
PaleMoon & Basilisk
- on 2014 i5-4210M Notebook 8GB Win7 64Bit
- on 2014 Athlon 5350 16GB PC Win7 64Bit
- on 2018 Athlon200GE 32GB PC Win10 64Bit

pm727272
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by pm727272 » 2021-12-16, 23:23

Off-topic:
moonbat wrote:
2021-12-14, 00:11
pm727272 wrote:
This browser could see a ton of new users if it included it's own script for showing Youtube dislikes in a future update
Wrong nickname on that quote, by the way. That was someone else's post. I just realized.

VADemon
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by VADemon » 2021-12-27, 19:00

I'd like to confirm and explain that this is Youtube's typical comment censorship & anti-spam. The system evaluates your comment and removes it for whatever reason (I speak generally, not just Palemoon).
  • Submit a comment disliked by the system: include a link, too many "bad words"/total words, too many comments in a short time frame/inexplicable reasons
  • The comment will appear to you client-side (true for web and their Android app)
  • Comment may appear and stay there if people enabled notifications. If they click on that notification, they won't be linked to comment - deleted
  • Usually when one comment is censored, you are blacklisted from commenting any further under the same video
  • You can try to check if the comment was publicly posted by trying to submit and edit (e.g. a full stop or a comma). Usually it will error out immediately. Some people had said the comments were "removed after some time" but I can't confirm yet
Finally there's a difference between shadow-banned and immediately(*not so immediate) deleted comments. Shadow-banned comments will not be visible if you open the comments page in a private window. Deleted comments won't be visible to you either.

The comment counts under video appear accurate (same with reddit). YT will only show "fully approved" comments under "Best comments", partially shadow-banned will only be visible under "Newest comments". Overall iirc they censor & block ~15% of comments (deletion or demoted to "Newest"), a technical hardeware video was analyzed.

Final note: they also run AI on user avatars and it had deleted my 11y/o avatar that's from Spongebob the movie. False-positive. Just to show that yes, you're being moderated and censored by algorithms, overblocking is just collateral damage to them.

Since it's affecting all Palemoon users, some gov anti-monopoly investigation would like to hear it, I'm sure.
"web extensions are just glorified Greasemonkey scripts with little access to browser internals." ~ moonbat

ChrisAO
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by ChrisAO » 2021-12-31, 05:11

I was just browsing the forum and saw this thread which I've now read. I don't believe it's only YT where this is happening. I think it could be happening in the Playstore as well. I made a comment about an app some months ago (IIRC it was after this thread had started) and went back to edit it a few weeks later to find it had disappeared. I couldn't understand why, and didn't waste any further time on it thinking I may go back to it in the future, which I haven't yet. I'll now try again when I have time and post back here.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-12-31, 13:29

ChrisAO wrote:
2021-12-31, 05:11
I'll now try again when I have time and post back here.
If you do find an issue, please create a separate thread for it in the Web compatibility problems board to avoid confusion and because it may not necessarily be for the same reason.

AntiShy
New to the forum
New to the forum

YouTube comments getting delete?

Unread post by AntiShy » 2022-03-29, 19:20

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is only me but it seems that YouTube comments sent via Palemoon are either deleted or were never fully posted, anyone experiencing this? how did you address it?

Any info would help me.
Thanks!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-03-29, 22:09

Note: topic merged.
AntiShy wrote:
2022-03-29, 19:20
I'm not sure if this is only me
As you can see by this lengthy thread it isn't just you. In fact, it seems accounts who have been flagged as Pale Moon users (like mine) will have their comments removed even if they use a different browser altogether to visit youtube and try to comment. Yes, Google's algorithm is that discriminatory.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite