GMX.com error in size of web pages.

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
ForestElf

GMX.com error in size of web pages.

Unread post by ForestElf » 2021-06-05, 11:46

Hello everyone,

I had a terrible time logging in to GMX.COM free email servers this morning as I could not find the login in (which is a first as they changed things) and come to find out after messing with it for about a hour of wasted time that is NO longer is compatible with Palemoon much to my dissapointment. I use version 92.2.0 of Palemoon and no matter what I did I could not log in, why, because their pages is too big and it does not show, so that means Palemoon does not display the pages correctly. I brought up Microsoft Edge browser to see what the differences where and I dislike that browser and it was a size problem as Edge showed the login box etc right away. So as the world turns I guess coding etc does also and not all play nice with each other. I am sure it is a simple coding problem that can be readily fixed in Palemoon, or at least I hope so as I do a lot of my business on GMX.COM email servers.

I really am sorry to have to say anything, but at least I did find out what was wrong. Thank you for your time, as it is much appreciated. I refuse to give up Palemoon, GMX.COM or not. I can use two browsers if I have too, but Palemoon is the best in my book..

Have a great day everyone.
Pastor Ivan White, D.D., Bs.D.

ForestElf

Re: GMX.com error in size of web pages.

Unread post by ForestElf » 2021-06-05, 12:48

So sorry, I did not realize I posted in the wrong area, it is not often I have any problems so seldom need support, again sorry...

Ivan White D.D.,Bs.D.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-06-05, 13:17

ForestElf wrote:
2021-06-05, 11:46
I use version 92.2.0 of Palemoon
Wait, what? :wtf:

If you're in such a roaring hurry to type 29 as 92, no wonder you didn't pay attention enough to post in the right sub forum. I'm guessing the post was moved here by the admin.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-05, 14:11

Off-topic:
moonbat wrote:
2021-06-05, 13:17
I'm guessing the post was moved here by the admin.
it was moved by a mod, yes.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-06-05, 17:13

ForestElf wrote:
no matter what I did I could not log in, why, because their pages is too big and it does not show
From which page do you usually log in?

On my end, https://www.gmx.com/mail/ didn't display the header/login stuff properly.

But there was no problem with gmx' front page, or with a direct link to the login form. So you might try those.
screenshots:
gmx.png

gmx2.png

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-06-05, 17:16

ForestElf wrote:
I am sure it is a simple coding problem that can be readily fixed in Palemoon, or at least I hope so as I do a lot of my business on GMX.COM email servers.
You're half right. It is a coding problem, but not with Pale Moon. The coding problem is on the email website. You need to complain to them and tell them to fix their crappy website coding.

ForestElf

Unread post by ForestElf » 2021-06-05, 17:45

moonbat wrote:
ForestElf wrote:

If you're in such a roaring hurry to type 29 as 92, no wonder you didn't pay attention enough to post in the right sub forum. I'm guessing the post was moved here by the admin.
OOPS I goofed, that should be version 29.2.0 X64 bit. sorry for the error..

ForestElf

Unread post by ForestElf » 2021-06-05, 17:51

moonbat wrote:
ForestElf wrote:

No I was in no hurry at all, it was just a mere typo, you, people do those things now and then, I am sorry that bothered you so much that you found it necessary to be rude to me! Ivan White D.D. Bs.D. but then I do forget this is internet.

ForestElf

Unread post by ForestElf » 2021-06-05, 17:54

ron_1 wrote:
2021-06-05, 17:16
ForestElf wrote:
I am sure it is a simple coding problem that can be readily fixed in Palemoon, or at least I hope so as I do a lot of my business on GMX.COM email servers.
You're half right. It is a coding problem, but not with Pale Moon. The coding problem is on the email website. You need to complain to them and tell them to fix their crappy website coding.
I did and I got no where with them at all, they are in Germany and barely understood me I guess. In fact I have written them 4 times already. From what I understand they think it was me and got it all mixed up. Oh well sorry I bothered you all, did not mean too..

ForestElf

Unread post by ForestElf » 2021-06-05, 18:01

coffeebreak wrote:
2021-06-05, 17:13
ForestElf wrote:
no matter what I did I could not log in, why, because their pages is too big and it does not show
From which page do you usually log in?

On my end, https://www.gmx.com/mail/ didn't display the header/login stuff properly.

But there was no problem with gmx' front page, or with a direct link to the login form. So you might try those.
screenshots:
gmx.png

gmx2.png
Thank you and your right, I have written them four times, they are in Germany and it is obvious to me they understand little English, so might consider going somewhere else. But I do thank you for your time.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-05, 18:20

I'm not sure why you were using a German service to begin with if you aren't German (or speak their language). Sounds like a recipe for disaster if you ever need support (as this has proven).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-06-05, 21:54

ForestElf wrote:
could not find the login in [...]
coffeebreak wrote:
https://www.gmx.com/mail/ didn't display the header/login stuff properly
To fine-tune this: I do see something labeled "login" there - it's just that oddly it links to the GMX main/front page rather than to the login form. It's unexpected, a silly-seeming extra step, but since login works on the main page as expected, not a barrier (for me) to logging in. If you see something different, I'm guessing it's caused at your end.

ForestElf wrote:
2021-06-05, 18:01
they are in Germany and it is obvious to me they understand little English
Off-topic:
The company is certainly German, but AFAIU targets a broader audience. GMX.com (versus GMX.net) specifically targets English, French and Spanish-speaking regions.

(A couple of years ago I reported a problem to them and received help in fluent English. The problem in question was able to be be reproduced in a browser they formally support as well as in Pale Moon, which may be why they extended themselves.)

rereser
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by rereser » 2021-06-06, 07:58

edit.

ForestElf

Unread post by ForestElf » 2021-06-07, 11:58

Moonchild wrote:
2021-06-05, 18:20
I'm not sure why you were using a German service to begin with if you aren't German (or speak their language). Sounds like a recipe for disaster if you ever need support (as this has proven).
I never had this problem before and have been using them as many in the USA do for years and all of a sudden this happens. I am sorry your upset that I use their service. I will not bother you any further and I do thank you for your time.

Pastor Ivan White D.D., Bs.D.

ForestElf

Unread post by ForestElf » 2021-06-07, 12:06

coffeebreak wrote:
2021-06-05, 21:54
ForestElf wrote:
could not find the login in [...]
coffeebreak wrote:
https://www.gmx.com/mail/ didn't display the header/login stuff properly
To fine-tune this: I do see something labeled "login" there - it's just that oddly it links to the GMX main/front page rather than to the login form. It's unexpected, a silly-seeming extra step, but since login works on the main page as expected, not a barrier (for me) to logging in. If you see something different, I'm guessing it's caused at your end.

ForestElf wrote:
2021-06-05, 18:01
they are in Germany and it is obvious to me they understand little English
Off-topic:
The company is certainly German, but AFAIU targets a broader audience. GMX.com (versus GMX.net) specifically targets English, French and Spanish-speaking regions.

(A couple of years ago I reported a problem to them and received help in fluent English. The problem in question was able to be be reproduced in a browser they formally support as well as in Pale Moon, which may be why they extended themselves.)
Yes your correct whereas in Microsoft edge it does display correctly. This just started, did not happen two weeks ago, but when I upgraded the browser is when it started. Not a big deal I guess or it seems that it is not considering I have been reprimanded several times already. I thank you for your time in answering me, it was kind of you. I am at a loss as to how to fix it, unless I go back to the previous browser and I do not wish to do that. I have no problem using Microsoft edge for this page only. But it is funny, it only happens on the gmx page, no where else do I have this problem... please excuse any typo's as I am 74 now and do not see well at all, but it is nice to be retired also. thank you.. Ivan

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-07, 12:09

ForestElf wrote:
2021-06-07, 11:58
I am sorry your upset that I use their service. I will not bother you any further and I do thank you for your time.
... wait what?
What makes you think I'm upset?...
I was just expressing my confusion why you would be using a German service provider that would have a language barrier to communicate with you in case of trouble. I don't care what you use, personally. It's your free choice; just some choices will have consequences for you, in terms of how much support you will get from them :)

ForestElf

Unread post by ForestElf » 2021-06-07, 12:46

Moonchild wrote:
2021-06-07, 12:09
ForestElf wrote:
2021-06-07, 11:58
I am sorry your upset that I use their service. I will not bother you any further and I do thank you for your time.
... wait what?
What makes you think I'm upset?...
I was just expressing my confusion why you would be using a German service provider that would have a language barrier to communicate with you in case of trouble. I don't care what you use, personally. It's your free choice; just some choices will have consequences for you, in terms of how much support you will get from them :)
Well I have used them for years, this is a new thing to me to have this error, they have both a German (Deutsch) page and (English) page. They wrote me again this morning after I sent them pictures of what I was saying and they still insist it is me or the browser. I am now going to argue over it, let them believe what they wish. But I will say for your information and not to be rude, it does not happen in Microsoft Edge Browser so why yours, and it did not happen until I updated it last. Maybe in time it will work itself out, who knows, but in mean time I have another way to get on.

Also I know it is hard for you also, getting complaints all the time, but I have not coded in many years and am 74 now so I come to you for help, that's all, I mean no harm to anyone. Thank you for your time, I appreciate it very much.. and to let you know, they still think it is the browser, so I loose either way. Ich danke für Ihre Zeit, helles Segen zu Ihnen. Ivan

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-06-07, 15:02

ForestElf wrote:
2021-06-07, 12:06
Yes your correct whereas in Microsoft edge it does display correctly. This just started, did not happen two weeks ago, but when I upgraded the browser...
coffeebreak wrote:
2021-06-05, 21:54
To fine-tune this: I do see something labeled "login" there - it's just that oddly it links to the GMX main/front page rather than to the login form. It's unexpected, a silly-seeming extra step, but since login works on the main page as expected, not a barrier (for me) to logging in. If you see something different, I'm guessing it's caused at your end. [emphasis added]
@ForestElf, you don't appear to understand what I wrote.

We apparently don't see the same thing
(and I don't believe your problem is caused by the browser).

Please reread my second post carefully, the entire post (not just the quoted part).
If your eyesight is too poor, please get someone to help you read it.

Also, in future please do not quote entire posts, just quote the relevant parts.
See 3a for how to do that.

ForestElf

Unread post by ForestElf » 2021-06-08, 12:53

We apparently don't see the same thing
(and I don't believe your problem is caused by the browser).

Please reread my second post carefully, the entire post (not just the quoted part).
If your eyesight is too poor, please get someone to help you read it.

Also, in future please do not quote entire posts, just quote the relevant parts.
See 3a for how to do that.
[/quote]

Even with this new update 29.2.1 it still does not correctly display and with the company in Germany they insist it is the browser and refuse to believe it is them. I don't know and I am not going to take any more time with this. I can see enough of the login now to get it at least and why it is so wide I have no idea and yes I do understand you. It is funny however, it all displays correctly in edge, so maybe there is a setting in the browser tools I need to change? This browser has never done this before and it displays all other web sites correctly. German, I told them they were stubborn and would not listen to reason. needless to say they did not like that as they still blame the browser and I do not believe it. But as I said, I can see enough of the login to get in now, but the way they have it set up is a little more than nonsense, I will not say what I am thinking, but a fool and their money soon separate.. so we can blame each other and get no where, I am done with this now. They will not listen and that is that....I even sent them pictures, did no good at all. We have a word for people like that in Germany, (Arschlöcher), I am German decent as many in my family are from Germany. pity I would have rather been Irish lol...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-08, 12:59

ForestElf wrote:
2021-06-08, 12:53
It is funny however, it all displays correctly in edge, so maybe there is a setting in the browser tools I need to change?
So, you think all browsers are exactly the same "under the hood" and they only have a different bunch of settings that can be used to make one behave exactly like the other? ... :think: