Facebook videos

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
kaygee46
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Facebook videos

Unread post by kaygee46 » 2021-05-23, 02:13

If a video on facebook says it will continue after an advertisement - it doesn't because the advertisement never loads, it just sits there with the spinning circle. You cant stop it or jump ahead, everything is frozen. With Facebook being Facebook if you close down and reopen, you can never get back to that particular video.
Is there a way of overcoming this ?
Ken G.
Me transmitte sursum Caledoni

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Facebook videos

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-23, 02:18

Post a sample link. Can't guess with 'a video'.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

kaygee46
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by kaygee46 » 2021-05-23, 03:16

OK, no guarantees you'll see it but this is one video where it happened, about 1 minute 15s in.
I reloaded the link into another opening of PaleMoon and it sailed straight through. Unfortunately it looks like a random thing.
https://fb.watch/5FuTB1AGmY/

On this one it went to an ad at about 1:28
https://fb.watch/5Fwpaz524v/
Ken G.
Me transmitte sursum Caledoni

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-23, 03:34

Just use an adblocker with a good set of filters* . Can't imagine anyone wanting to watch ads unless they're paid to do it and it improves your entire browsing experience from not having to load unwanted junk.
Off-topic:
* - Remember that an adblocker is only as good as the filters you have - it's not the creator's fault if ads get through and you should subscribe to filter lists. Good ones to have are the EasyList/EasyPrivacy ones, the Adguard ones and Fanboy's Annoyances/trackers. You can search for them by name and add them to the adblocker of your choice. ABPrime and Adblock Latitude from the Pale Moon addon site are based on Adblock Plus and use its rule syntax.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-24, 10:31

Off-topic:
moonbat wrote:
2021-05-23, 03:34
Can't imagine anyone wanting to watch ads unless they're paid to do it
What an upside-down view of the economy.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-24, 10:52

Off-topic:
Moonchild wrote:
2021-05-24, 10:31
What an upside-down view of the economy.
People have been trained to accept 'free' email and other services in exchange for advertising that is little different from malware now in terms of how much one gets tracked.
If it were possible to change history, I'd gladly prevent the superseding of HTTP over all other application layer protocols for the sake of advertising alone. Bonus, internet usage would've been slower to catch on if people were actually paying for their email/newsgroups and other services and we'd have a smaller scale or delayed version of Eternal September. Sure we would have a much smaller and less developed internet that would still be a niche thing while the unwashed masses stick to cable TV but I see no problem with that. Things are 10x worse now with mobile internet usage having overtaken the desktop since around 2013.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-24, 11:27

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-24, 11:31

Off-topic:
This is why you don't set off a resonance cascade.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-24, 11:59

Off-topic:
moonbat wrote:
2021-05-24, 11:31
This is why you don't set off a resonance cascade.
As I expected.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-24, 12:40

Off-topic:
moonbat wrote:
2021-05-24, 10:52
People have been trained to accept 'free' email and other services in exchange for advertising
You don't see my point, obviously.
Why is there advertising? Because it makes money. Why is advertising in free services? Because it allows the services to be free to the user.
It would be topsy-turvy to pay people to watch advertising in that context because the whole point of advertising being there in the first place is to pay for the service. Paying for people to watch advertising would be outgoing money, to have advertising pay for costs as incoming money -- may as well not have advertising then :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-24, 13:23

Off-topic:
Oh I do see your point, mine was why on earth would anyone willingly inflict ads on themselves when adblocking has been a thing for so long - short of a compelling reason like being paid yourself to watch the damn things instead of paying with your attention, time, bandwidth and system resources.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-05-24, 20:09

moonbat wrote:
2021-05-24, 13:23
Off-topic:
why on earth would anyone willingly inflict ads on themselves
Off-topic:
To be fair, I've strangely found a few interesting things thanks to advertising, some years ago, so I'm not as prejudiced over them.
The problem with advertising is not really the advertising itself: that has always been a thing and it will forever be; only few people would know about your extensions if you didn't mention them in various threads or put them into your signature, for example. That's still advertising.
The real issue with web advertising is the bad practices: tracking, autoplay with audio, green download buttons, etc. If advertising was nothing but static images representing the advertised product with a link to the product itself, similar to the restrictions other non-web platforms impose, adblockers wouldn't even exist because nobody would mind looking at an ad and implicitly support the website operator(s).

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-25, 03:47

Off-topic:
vannilla wrote:
2021-05-24, 20:09
The real issue with web advertising is the bad practices
That hardly needs to be clarified anymore given that the sort you describe has been the norm from the very beginning. Ad networks continue to remain a major vector of malware, and nowadays an adblocker is as critical as an antivirus application (more effective even, I'd say) to stay safe (in addition to the obvious benefits of better browser performance and user experience).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-25, 10:40

Off-topic:
Good thing that videos are restricted in what kind of content they contain then, eh? And also, that takes away the reason to block ad videos as a whole because by definition malware delivery through video is impossible.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-25, 10:44

There's tracking, consumption of your bandwidth and system resources, not to mention popping up in your face and autoplaying to add to it, turning the internet back into cable TV. Google used to have text ads at one time that were praised for being non intrusive and apparently they invited more clicks than banners and popups - you barely see those nowadays.