Twitter not wokring

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Felixs

Twitter not wokring

Unread post by Felixs » 2021-04-02, 20:14

Twitter was just working a few minutes ago, and all of a sudden, it shows this. It happens on the other computer as well
Attachments
not working.PNG

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Twitter not wokring

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-02, 21:24

And it's working fine (just checked)

of course, there are these fickle people on twitter immediately when encountering a temporary server-side failure post things like

"twocvbloke
@twocvbloke
·
1h
Starting to think that @palemoonbrowser
is no longer for me, getting tired of it breaking stuff (or devs breaking its' use of their sites) which leaves me trying to find fixes more often than using the internet...
Face with rolling eyes"

So yeah. Go ahead and measure our compatibility by the likes of services who are apparently doing live A/B testing all the bloody time.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Felixs

Unread post by Felixs » 2021-04-02, 21:47

strange, it's still not working for me...
must be a problem on my end

RinMarie

Unread post by RinMarie » 2021-04-02, 22:31

i'm also getting the same thing, twitter works on firefox but on palemoon it doesn't, so i'm guessing twitter changed something today?? i'm unsure

SorceressEpele
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by SorceressEpele » 2021-04-02, 22:37

I was having the same issue. Changed the useragent override to use Pale Moon's native agent string as opposed to Firefox compatibility, and it worked immediately.

See if that helps you.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-02, 23:03

Looks like they are now assuming any Firefox-containing string supports Chrome's named regexp groups, regardless of reported version.
I'll adjust twitter's UA override and add it to the dynamic override strings in the interim.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

ChrisCat
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by ChrisCat » 2021-04-03, 05:09

SorceressEpele wrote:
2021-04-02, 22:37
Changed the useragent override to use Pale Moon's native agent string as opposed to Firefox compatibility, and it worked immediately.
This mostly worked here. But just to be aware, this seems to break the "You might like" section, which normally displays 2 or 3 users related to the profile you're reading, but now just displays the same 3 generic high-profile users. Though it seems to still work when viewing a specific tweet (it has a "Relevant people" section linking the user and referenced users).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-03, 11:13

If you want all the extras to work 100% you should be using one of their officially supported browsers. Best we can do with the changes they made now is using their generic fallback code.

jkam_045

Unread post by jkam_045 » 2021-04-03, 15:30

Just login twitter on my laptop and facing the same problem. On mobile, it's working fine.

Vijay

Unread post by Vijay » 2021-04-03, 18:13

Twitter is still not working for me. Can you please fix this asap. Thanks. :wave:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-03, 18:35

A dynamic user-agent override has been put into place which should be picked up automatically by the browser when it next checks for it.

If you can't wait for that, then the interim workaround is this:
  • Go to about:config
  • type "twitter" in the filter box.
  • Double-click general.useragent.override.twitter.com
  • Paste the following string as value:

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:4.9) Goanna/20210402 PaleMoon/29.1.1

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-04-03, 22:52

You can also install sasuga, go to Twitter, right click anywhere to open the context menu, select "Open SSUA Override" and then "With current domain"; paste the string provided by Moonchild in the second box below "twitter.com" and press "Add/Change".
It's a bit longer than using about:config, but about:config contains dragons which shall not be disturbed.

LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2021-04-04, 08:20

Interestingly, when a post from twitter in embedded into another page, it displays correctly.

SarahEllz

Re: Twitter not working

Unread post by SarahEllz » 2021-04-04, 20:24

Having used the sasuga plugin (I have done things with about:config in previous times), I've now resolved the twitter issue for now. Until it all goes t... up again.

Hummingbird
Moongazer
Moongazer

Re: Twitter not working

Unread post by Hummingbird » 2021-04-05, 08:42

I'm using the latest Basilisk-version, no addons or plugins, no adblocker either & twitter works fine here, while it's tested on a laptop and just explorer shows a line that refers to "won't be supported".

Anyway: adding new posts as "moments" on basilisk seems like it only worked on explorer (since switching there's no button when clicking on a post for possible retweet or e.g. adding it to your "moments" there). But this issue happened some months ago, not sure if it generally won't be supported while my et moments still being available just new ones couldn't be added somehow?

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by eskaton » 2021-04-05, 13:27

Has anyone else received the dynamic update at this time? Two computers where I have PM installed have not. While the update was only made two days, I was curious if CF may be caching the update as was the case for this Yahoo Email update: viewtopic.php?p=201424#p201424

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-05, 13:32

I'm not sure what is going on with the dynamic updates but they do not seem to be working right now. Requests are made, the jsons are downloaded, but apparently they are not being processed or saved on the browser side.

EDIT: AHA! Got to love how trailing commas throw a spanner in the works.

LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2021-04-05, 17:17

And now it works again. Weird. There wasn't any update to PM today so I guess Twitter made some changes itself.

edit: I have no idea what this dynamic UA is so if that's related, someone briefly enlighten me how that works please.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-05, 19:10

LuftWafflePilot wrote:
2021-04-05, 17:17
There wasn't any update to PM today so I guess Twitter made some changes itself.
No they didn't.
LuftWafflePilot wrote:
2021-04-05, 17:17
I have no idea what this dynamic UA is so if that's related, someone briefly enlighten me how that works please.
We've set up a service (building on pre-existing Mozilla code that was only ever used by them for mobile) to be able to push user-agent overrides dynamically to Pale Moon users without needing to go through a full browser release (which would be completely disproportional to do on our end and an unacceptable delay for users on the other end). I've added Twitter and MeWe overrides to it. This allows us to push these updates short-term in response to website changes without anything needed by the user (it updates automatically in the background) so "broken" UA-sniffing websites can "magically" start working again without any action on the browser user's behalf.
This service is checked (by default) once daily for changes and if found, will download and update overrides present in the browser.

I was confused for a while why this wasn't working as it should but found the problem now -- it fails silently if the json data containing the dynamic overrides has a trailing comma after the last entry. That has been fixed and the dynamic overrides should be working again.

LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2021-04-05, 19:37

That's pretty damn cool feature.