Black Screen on open.spotify.com

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Disil07
Moon lover
Moon lover

Black Screen on open.spotify.com

Unread post by Disil07 » 2021-03-31, 05:44

Hello, I'm new here. Today I started to use Pale Moon, and yeah, it is nice ;) . But, when I tried to open Spotify Web Player, it says: This browser isn't supported anymore". Then I tried to search if anyone had the same problem. Some people (here at PM forum) said that you need to edit your user agent in about:config. I did it, and after a few hours, I can now log-in to my Spotify account :thumbup: . Then I'm opening the web player it just show up as a black screen. Any advice on how to fix it?

Here is some technical Info:

Code: Select all

Operating system: Windows 10
Browser version: 29.1.1
32-bit or 64-bit?: 64-bit
Problem URL: https://open.spotify.com/
Theme: Default
Installed extensions: 
Name: Classic Add-ons Archive
Version: 2.0.3
Enabled: true
ID: ca-archive@Off.JustOff

Name: LiveClick Lunar
Version: 2.2.3
ID: {7A86970F-5198-5370-9FCB-0EE0150876F7}

Name: uBlock Origin
Version: 1.16.4.28
ID: uBlock0@raymondhill.net
Installed plugins: 
-AdobeAAMDetect
-Adobe Flash Player
-Silverlight Plug-in
-Java(TM) Platform SE 8 U231
-Java Deployment Toolkit 8.0.2310.11

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Black Screen on open.spotify.com

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-03-31, 08:35

Console shows an error saying 'invalid regexp group', looks like they're using more of the new bullshit syntax added by Chrome.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2021-03-31, 10:11

No errors on my 32 bit.
screenshot.6.jpg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Disil07
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Disil07 » 2021-03-31, 13:05

billmcct wrote:
2021-03-31, 10:11
No errors on my 32 bit.
Maybe it is because im using 64-bit browser? I guess something is wrong with my configuration, i dont know :think:. Then how I can use spotify web player in PM? Should I use 32 bit version instead? Or anything else?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-03-31, 14:25

See this thread on the same topic.
In future, please search the forum before opening a new thread.

The page renders fine if Native user agent mode is used.
To test: Preferenes -> Advanced -> General tab -> Compatibility, "User Agent Mode:" - and refresh the page.
For the longer term, you can set up a site specific UA override for spotify.com using Pale Moon's native UA string.

Edit:
But it seems you still need their app to play stuff.
Front page says: " This browser doesn't support Spotify Web Player. Switch browsers or download Spotify for your desktop."
When I click to "View on Spotify" it gives a similar message ", then after clicking to "Open Spotify", console error:

Error: TypeError: e is undefined
Source File: https://open.scdn.co/cdn/build/open/open.42fbb199.js
Line: 1
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2021-03-31, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2021-03-31, 15:16

I think the problem is 64 bit or maybe Windows 10 specific. I am using 32 bit and "Firefox compatibility" mode on both Win 7 and 8.1 and Spotify renders correctly on both.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-03-31, 15:41

billmcct wrote:
2021-03-31, 15:16
I think the problem is 64 bit or maybe Windows 10 specific.
What's your user agent mode (or do you have a spotify SSUAO)?
(Please see my previous post, plus the one that's linked)

And can you use the web player?

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2021-03-31, 15:55

Well that's pretty damn strange. Was using "Firefox compatibility" and it played fine. Set PM to "native mode" to test it, and it gave the error "This browser doesn't support Spotify Web Player". Went back to "Firefox compatibility" and now it wont play any longer. Go figure.
Tommy Lasorda

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-03-31, 17:54

billmcct wrote:
2021-03-31, 15:55
Well that's pretty damn strange. Was using "Firefox compatibility" and it played fine.
Concerninge rendering (not the player)...
Looking again, the SSUAO for spotify was in fact added to the dynamically updated built-in overrides several weeks ago, so it shouldn't matter which UA mode an individual set. Spotify should render for everyone.

Though the override doesn't seem to have updated, at least yet, in the portable testing version that I set up yesterday.
(\Bin\Palemoon\browser\ua-update.json contains no values, and spotify pages are still black for me with Compat mode)

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2021-03-31, 18:42

The screenshot above is in "Firefox compatibility" and "Native" rendered the same for me.
Last edited by billmcct on 2021-03-31, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy Lasorda

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-03-31, 18:53

The dynamically updated built-in override takes precedence over Compat or Native mode. Once it kicks in, spotify should always see your UA as Native regardless what UA mode is set.

For people who see a black page on spotify (when in Compat mode), the built-in override seems to be absent.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2021-03-31, 20:13

My "ua-update.json" only shows:
{ }
Tommy Lasorda

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-04-02, 06:45

I only know that for me (and some other users, per earlier linked thread), Spotify renders when it sees a Native UA, but gives black pages when it sees the Compat UA.

The dynamic override implemented here is meant to make Spotify see a Native UA for everyone, regardless of UA mode, and I'm guessing it must be doing that for you somehow, if the site renders with Compat mode set. Though I don't know so well the mechanics.

(If that turns out to not be the case, I have no explanation and can only say that our experiences differ.)

Disil07
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Disil07 » 2021-04-02, 09:18

coffeebreak wrote:
2021-04-02, 06:45
I only know that for me (and some other users, per earlier linked thread), Spotify renders when it sees a Native UA, but gives black pages when it sees the Compat UA.
Well that is strange. In my browser, Spotify render correctly when using "native" UA, but it says "not supported". But if I use Compatibility (Firefox or Gecko or manually tuning UA) it renders as a black screen. Nothing happened.

After a few hours of tweaking config, I get, well, nothing :crazy:. I also tried to use "32-bit portable" PM, and yeah, it does the same results. Then how to fix it? I did not understand about "ua-update.json", so please explain it to me :D!

Actually I did open ua-update.json but yeah, i dont understand what is that because it is empty and only contain a blank parantheses "{ }". :think:. Am I need to fill it with some kind of --code or anything else?
Debian 12 Bookworm - KDE Plasma 5.27
Intel Celeron N5100 - 4 gigs of RAM - 256 gigs of SSD

I can barely speak english, so bear that in mind when talking to me

Disil07
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Disil07 » 2021-04-02, 11:20

Umm help me, I just click on a random button by accident, and now it says problem is solved :shock:. This issues is not solved yet! Please someone un-mark this post as solved :roll:
Debian 12 Bookworm - KDE Plasma 5.27
Intel Celeron N5100 - 4 gigs of RAM - 256 gigs of SSD

I can barely speak english, so bear that in mind when talking to me

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-02, 12:42

Off-topic:
Tip: Don't click on random buttons. especially when they have tooltip descriptions for what they do ;-)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-04-02, 13:37

Disil07 wrote:
2021-04-02, 09:18
Well that is strange. In my browser, Spotify render correctly when using "native" UA, but it says "not supported". But if I use Compatibility (Firefox or Gecko or manually tuning UA) it renders as a black screen.
coffeebreak wrote:
2021-03-31, 14:25
Edit:
But it seems you still need their app to play stuff.
Front page says: " This browser doesn't support Spotify Web Player. Switch browsers or download Spotify for your desktop."
When I click to "View on Spotify" it gives a similar message ", then after clicking to "Open Spotify", console error:

Error: TypeError: e is undefined
Source File: https://open.scdn.co/cdn/build/open/open.42fbb199.js
Line: 1
There are two parts to the problem with Spotify:

- One is to make the page render. Showing them a Native UA fixes that.
(This should have happened automatically via a "dynamic UA override" (see previous posts), without needing to change UA modes, so I'm guessing there's a problem with dynamic overrides.)

- The second is to make the web player work. Unfortunately, AFAIK there is not currently a fix for the player.

Disil07 wrote:
2021-04-02, 09:18
... ua-update.json ... i dont understand what is that because it is empty and only contain a blank parantheses "{ }". :think:. Am I need to fill it ...?
No, do not touch it under any circumstances.
Editing it will fix nothing and could potentially cause major, hard-to-diagnose problems.

(I had thought it was supposed to contain all of the "dynamic UA overrides" that are sent to the browser from a palemoon.org server, though given billmcct's posts, maybe that's not so, or no longer so.)

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2021-04-02, 14:11

Well, I'm confused also. "open.spotify.com" and "spotify.com" renders the same in all three modes "Native, Gecko, and Firefox". Only now for me all three modes are stating the browser doesn't support the player.
Tommy Lasorda

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-04-02, 14:33

billmcct wrote:
2021-04-02, 14:11
Well, I'm confused also. ...
What happens in a new profile?

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2021-04-02, 15:22

Renders correctly in "Native and Gecko", get a black screen in "Firefox comp".

EDIT:
Back in my regular profile and it renders correctly in all three modes. Go figure.
Tommy Lasorda