xe.com cannot convert currency

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: xe.com cannot convert currency

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-29, 12:59

So it's one again about number separators and decimal point/comma - the very thing that makes people make factor 100 and 1000 errors when inputting numbers because a website tries to be "smart" by being "native".

The main issue is that in scripting (which was my point!) numbers are ALWAYS without separators (well until recently where '_' was added as an allowed separator; unnecessary if you ask me) and ALWAYS have a decimal point (not comma or colon or what not).If people want to display it in a different format, then there is already a function for that too to display it as a localized string.
What the "new" spec asks for is to read back this output-only opaque formatted string back into something that can be further processed by JS, and in that case having some unified way of parsing a localized number format into a field array will potentially be useful. Still won't help with people inputting unexpected things though, and xe.com with this functionality in place still doesn't localize the input so it becomes error-prone. They only seem to use it for displaying the currency symbol in the input field.
Also, by the way, this way of formatting then reverse-parsing display strings is incredibly slow.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Domarius

Re: xe.com cannot convert currency

Unread post by Domarius » 2021-03-30, 03:19

The form fields don't even load for me - they remain blank and unresponsive when I click them. I'm on Manjaro KDE.