PM 28.14.2 Github

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
JustOff

Re: PM 28.14.2 Github

Unread post by JustOff » 2020-10-21, 19:15

BopBe wrote:
2020-10-21, 14:42
It was a matter of just fetching an earlier revision?
I have announced only significant changes, you should always prefer the latest version.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-21, 23:23

RealityRipple wrote:
2020-10-21, 18:58
If I were a judge, I'd take it as physical evidence of antitrust law violation... But that's just me.
Yep, that is exactly what it is. In an informed up to date legal proceeding it is perfect evidence.

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2020-10-22, 13:56

Most browsers are not on the supported list. The founders wrote the software, they've sold and left. Microsoft is a business, they're going to want to minimize costs to make a profit. It's not going to be like it used to be regardless of who owns it. I'd suggest not taking it personally and even if you move the main dev work elsewhere, push the result to GitHub for it's benefits like code visibility, searchability (the contents of discussions on bugs and commits and source code files can be found in general web searchs, for example, this won't happen on anything self hosted) and user interaction. Even if you stop using GitHub, Pale Moon users will still want to, a lot of the code Pale Moon relies on will still be hosted there, so it won't get you out of trying to keep the GitHub site working. Having a presence there may not count for much, but they would at least have a little more incentive to not break GitHub operation than if you leave entirely. GitHub is popular, a feature which has no direct relationship to functionality or quality. People will continue to flock to it solely because lots of other people do so, it would have to become all but unusable to change that.
Naturally that is only my advice, do what you want, I'm sure you will anyway. ;)
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2020-10-22, 14:08

Lunokhod wrote:
2020-10-22, 13:56
I'd suggest not taking it personally [...] push the result to GitHub [...] Even if you stop using GitHub, Pale Moon users will still want to, a lot of the code Pale Moon relies on will still be hosted there [...] they would at least have a little more incentive to not break GitHub operation than if you leave entirely.
That is a lame argument.

Github is totally to blame for their shabby decision to not be browser-neutral.

Why on Earth ought Pale Moon to continue supporting Github in any way? That actually only encourages them to continue in their bad behaviour.

If Pale Moon (and, potentially, others) leave, that (if anything) is what would encourage them to rethink their approach.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

gi_jimbo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by gi_jimbo » 2020-10-22, 14:32

Off-topic:
It seems really shady to me that Microsoft would even have been allowed to purchase Github seeing as it's the host site for countless softwares that would be considered competitors. I'm assuming the software developers who manage their projects through Github didn't have any say or provide consent? I understand it's a free service and that the licensing for each project is unrelated to it being hosted on Github but it still just doesn't seem ethical to me that MS can just buy (and control) the service that hosts it all.

Disclaimer: I've been aware of Github for a long time but only recently looked into moving some of my own projects onto it. That in mind, please understand that from a developer's prospective of Github, I'm a novice. I'm also no lawyer so I may be way off but again, it seems super shady to me.
- James

Why I love Pale Moon: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11079#p77697

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2020-10-22, 21:38

If this was a Linux only project then there might be some kudos in not using the Microsoft owned GitHub, but it isn't. Microsoft have had years to make their OS incompatible with Pale Moon if they wanted, but haven't done so. Software updates that break other software happen all the time, even when everyone involved is open source. Perhaps it's more a Chrome driven web standards issue. What if Google had bought GitHub instead? GitHub was a few enthusiasts who made a project that got really big, but now it's big business and just more impersonal and profit driven I think.
I'm a Linux user and enthusiast - but if Microsoft are going to give me something useful for free then I say "never look a Git Horse in the mouth" :D

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-10-22, 21:52

Lunokhod wrote:
2020-10-22, 21:38
What if Google had bought GitHub instead?
Off-topic:
They would've closed it after a couple of years.
I don't remember when GitHub was bought, but by now it would've been shut down, if it was in hands of Google.

The Squash

Unread post by The Squash » 2020-10-22, 23:03

According to Microsoft (link here), the acquisition was finished by October 26, 2018.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-10-23, 02:01

Lunokhod wrote:
2020-10-22, 21:38
Microsoft have had years to make their OS incompatible with Pale Moon if they wanted
Newsflash - Windows is no longer a priority for them since 10 was launched. Their biggest money spinner now is Azure, followed by Office subscriptions and then only Windows. Microsoft has successfully transitioned into a 'cloud' services company, Amazon is their primary competition and Windows is an afterthought. Which is also why they ditched their own browser engine for Chrome and have turned their users into unpaid beta testers after firing the Windows testing team - given the number of bugs after every update these days.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2020-10-23, 02:14

https://github.com/github/site-policy/issues/15
Just found that linked from an old Waterfox bug - still seems true, the browser list isn't "site policy" rather in help / setup. Those are what they test with.
Also this:
https://github.blog/2020-05-26-code-in- ... classroom/
"We’ve heard from you that coding online will help support distance learning, so we’ve made that happen in GitHub Classroom. Classroom now integrates with two online IDEs: Microsoft MakeCode Arcade and Repl.it. Both allow coders to work on any device with a web browser, such as tablets or smartphones."
They fired the Windows testing team - in 2005?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-10-23, 02:48

Ok - a more current link.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2020-10-23, 17:10

I visited GitHub today with Basilisk, I already had the latest version of that polyfill extension installed. The site was broken with window.customElements is undefined error in the console. Then I visited few other sites and got back to GitHub and then it started working. What the heck?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-23, 20:05

Github's live A/B testing is a bitch isn't it? Also, the ajax dynamic loading of content in some places has unchecked shadowDom and customElements calls that don't react properly to the polyfill which was wny I created my user script in the first place to bypass that exact issue well before they removed the polyfill from the site.

So for best results I suggest you use my user script as well for as long as that works.

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2020-10-24, 09:00

Today, GitHub didn't work once again, installed the mentioned script, refreshed, still didn't work, then one minute later, it started working.

Edit: never mind, just the main page of the project I'm looking at works, when I open any source file, it craps out.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-24, 09:27

Welp, guess Github is dead.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2020-10-24, 10:02

UCyborg wrote:
2020-10-24, 09:00
Today, GitHub didn't work once again, installed the mentioned script, refreshed, still didn't work, then one minute later, it started working.
There were breaking changes on GitHub yesterday. Are you sure you are using the latest version of the extension?

UCyborg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by UCyborg » 2020-10-24, 15:12

Oh, I was 2 versions behind, it's OK now. Who can keep up?

So extension like GitHub Web Components Polyfill has to be tailored to specific website until WebComponents aren't fully implemented in UXP? I saw window.customElements error on at least one other site.

largactyl
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by largactyl » 2020-11-01, 14:57

@JustOff: joining in to thank you for your work on the extension.

Off-topic:
At least it's refreshing to see Google find yet another new way to screw up the web for everyone. You keep thinking they've run out of orifices to invade, then... surprise!

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2020-11-03, 10:47

OAuth also doesn't work. I was trying to create an account in Crowdin using my GitHub account, but I had to do it on Firefox. I haven't tried the extension though, but why the heck do they have to break that? I don't want to depend on an extension just to make a site work...

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-11-03, 12:54

jobbautista9 wrote:
2020-11-03, 10:47
I don't want to depend on an extension just to make a site work...
Well they made clear they have no interest in being browser-agnostic. You can be glad it still works at all.

And this is also exactly one of the reasons why OAuth2 is evil: it enforces a webby (and therefore subject to web complexity) interface to an authentication protocol that is not web bound. The only reason for example that Interlink and Thunderbird can use OAuth for mail authentication is because it happens to build on an engine that is also a web engine. Any other client will just be shit out of luck if they can't render web content.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite