PM 28.14.2 Github

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
dtoxic
Moon lover
Moon lover

PM 28.14.2 Github

Unread post by dtoxic » 2020-10-14, 21:50

Has anyone experienced problems with github as of today? there is the infinite activity loading problem i experienced some time ago,but it got sorted out and now it's back again

if anyone knows of any workarounds it would be helpful.

here is the screenshot of the problem

https://imgur.com/u0JM0LE
Windows 7 SP1 X64
Windows 10 LTSC X64

SlySven
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Re: PM 28.14.2 Github

Unread post by SlySven » 2020-10-15, 00:02

Yeah, I have some PRs to merge and the green merge button doesn't do anything when I click on it!

As a test I uninstalled PM 28.14.2 and reinstalled 28.13.0 from archives with a virgin (new) profile on Windows and there was no change. I even tickled the Browser compatibility between all of FireFox/Gecko/Native with no effect. I also tried accessing from a different OS (Devuan) Linux using the latest (Steve Pusser ?) build (also 28.14.2) in case it was my Windoze aVast Free Advertising AntiVirus getting in the way. But still no worky. This is something that has changed in the last 24 hours as it is also affecting the preview of messages and the popup emoji selection (when you start to type something after a ':'). Of course the GH documentation is singularly depressing reading if one want to use a browser that isn't telling all and sundry what your browsing activities are: https://docs.github.com/en/free-pro-tea ... d-browsers .

A quick look at the dev-tools/console thingy didn't show anything that immediately jumped out at me as saying this is borked when I tried to see what was happening (or not) when I clicked the merge button - but I probably wouldn't know what to look for if there was...

dink_fbneo

Unread post by dink_fbneo » 2020-10-15, 00:12

Hi,
If you look at Tools -> Web Developer -> Debugger and click on your Merge PR, you'll see at the bottom that the javascript stuff github uses to do almost everything is failing to load.
f.ex:
https://github.githubassets.com/assets/ ... cy-form.ts
and so on.

Basically, github is experiencing issues and it has nothing to do with PaleMoon (this time)

best regards,
- dink

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-15, 01:38

As a Microsoft product designed for draconian Google browsers ONLY yes.. It is, like everything else pulling this shit, going to become increasingly incompatible. Microsoft Github Support tickets now take 4-6 weeks to get a response and a resolution, if any, takes even longer. All you can do is hope maybe your support requests get to someone from the old regime and they fix it.

So talk to Github.. We can do nothing.

I am abandoning GitHub my self. Not like I can even have public projects that won't get abused but never get contributions to anyway. I am about over Open Source as a concept. Such a shame!

SlySven
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by SlySven » 2020-10-15, 02:35

One thing I am seeing in the console is this message when I try to load a "review changes" for a PR page which ends up with a spinning octocat "waiting" symbol that doesn't go away is:
Content Security Policy: Ignoring ‘x-frame-options’ because of ‘frame-ancestors’ directive.
I don't full grok this but referring to https://stackoverflow.com/questions/403 ... me-options seems to suggest this is suspicious and very browser dependent in the actual result. As I understand it PaleMoon is much more thorough in preventing javascript from one source reaching out and touching other bits from other places that it should not be touching. That being compared to some other browsers! And that is why some embedded images/videos in a web-page have to be opening in a new tab (whereas some other browsers would show it in a frame in the original tab)?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-15, 04:16

That isn't helpful.

dink_fbneo

Unread post by dink_fbneo » 2020-10-15, 05:55

wow, this really sucks. that means tomorrow I have to install another browser just to use for github. sad times.
good night..

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-15, 06:00

Or you could talk to Github.. Make them actively reject us or just fix their shit.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-10-15, 07:19

Off-topic:
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-10-15, 01:38
I am about over Open Source as a concept. Such a shame!
Long ago!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-15, 11:48

Everyone who has an issue with GitHub (that is, everyone trying to use it with any UXP browser) please stop reading and go contact GitHub now.
They not only broke interaction again, they also silenced all console output for their scripting so there is 0 we can do to even troubleshoot this, let alone fix it or indicate to them what the problem is.
They will respond with that your browser is "not supported" but maybe, just maybe the old dev team will still look into it (if they are still there) if a large enough volume of complaints lands on their desk.

I'll be looking into setting up a gitea instance or something. Somewhere. If i can find the resources for it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-10-15, 11:49

dink_fbneo wrote:
2020-10-15, 05:55
that means tomorrow I have to install another browser just to use for github.
My text editor has an add-on that allows me to operate GitHub/Gitlab features without ever opening the website.
You could see if you can find something similar for your editor. You don't know how better it is not having to switch to the web browser and deal with webshit.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-15, 11:53

I wouldn't rely on gitea for help since they redid gogs's frontend with bootstrap js and other javascript frameworks. Basically, its ruined.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-15, 12:08

We've had this conversation before and I really don't care how ruined it is as long as it can be used. Not like -we- should have to develop it. it's a tool.
Also, there are no proper alternatives which is why I made the other discussion thread a while back. So what else do you expect me to do? tell everyone to use command-line git?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-15, 12:55

Go with standard Gogs if you are gonna do it. Gitea is too encumbered by js to be reliable. Unless you want node.js and bootstrap and thousands of js libs.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-15, 13:50

Gogs also misses some essential functionality I'd like to retain, like GPG signed commits, squash merging, managing branches, locking discussions (which unfortunately is needed REGULARLY on GitHub), PR approval, and being able to download patches is extremely handy as well although that's less of a breaking thing. Also, Gitea can import GitHub repos in their entirety (with issues etc.) can Gogs do that?

Although I can live without it if necessary, I'd prefer to have it. But if in your opinion Gitea is a terrible mess that is circling the drain, then of course it wouldn't be a very good thing.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2020-10-15, 15:25

Here is a workaround: GitHub Web Components Polyfill.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-10-15, 15:33

JustOff wrote:
2020-10-15, 15:25
No .xpi releases?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2020-10-15, 15:41

Releases are in releases as usual.

prengle
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by prengle » 2020-10-15, 15:43

Moonchild wrote:
2020-10-15, 11:48
Everyone who has an issue with GitHub (that is, everyone trying to use it with any UXP browser) please stop reading and go contact GitHub now.
They not only broke interaction again, they also silenced all console output for their scripting so there is 0 we can do to even troubleshoot this, let alone fix it or indicate to them what the problem is.
eheh, i tried, but just go and take a look at their actual """support""" page: https://support.github.com/

there's online documentation, a link to a dead discourse-based support forum, a link to their blog and so-on, but no actual support hotline or email address of any kind. if you click on the big fat "contact us!" button without an account, a flat blue 2d vector person shrugs at you and tells you to make an account or go away. if you are logged in you can send them a message, but you only get 9 canned support topics to choose from and none of them seem to have anything to do with browser compatibility or website issues. i spent a few minutes looking at their forum for anything relevant but i didn't have any luck. maybe i'm just too sleepy.

i tried sending them a short support message to tell them about this anyways, but i have no idea if they'll listen to it or if they'll even get it :oops: if anyone else wants to try making a thread on their forum then please go ahead, i'm hitting the hay

dtoxic
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by dtoxic » 2020-10-15, 15:49

JustOff wrote:
2020-10-15, 15:25
Thank you
Windows 7 SP1 X64
Windows 10 LTSC X64