schwab.com problems with rendering website navigation bars

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

schwab.com problems with rendering website navigation bars

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-08-10, 14:58

As of today the Schwab website fails to render navigation bars hence it is impossible to navigate the site -- and due to this it is impossible to even log-out of the site (which isn't good) in a proper manner (the only alternative is to close the tab and/or browser).

There are no "errors" in the error-console - only warnings:

Code: Select all

Timestamp: 8/10/2022 7:48:01 AM
Warning: Use of attributes’ nodeValue attribute is deprecated. Use value instead.
Source File: https://content.schwab.com/cobrowse/glance/530/js/GlanceCobrowseLoader_5.3.0M.js
Line: 23
Timestamp: 8/10/2022 7:48:01 AM
Warning: Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user’s experience. For more help http://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/
Source File: https://s.go-mpulse.net/boomerang/EX83G-QNMSL-P9787-NRSC7-7EJJ3
Line: 10
Results using Pale Moon in Safe-Mode (on Win7 O.S.)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: schwab.com problems with rendering website navigation bars

Unread post by vannilla » 2022-08-10, 15:27

I can see everything just fine, but not being able to log in means I can't see if the site does something differently for logged in users.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-08-10, 16:00

Thanks for the reply - in as much as the problem is missing navigation functions (within the website) it is a problem on the website and not related to the login page.

The same issue exists on Win10 as well unfortunately :thumbdown: (now that I've had the opportunity to use my Win10 laptop) - tested using Pale Moon in Safe-Mode once again.

This issue appears to have started in the past 24-36 hours (I have updated both the Win7 and Win10 machines to PM 31.2.0 and then PM 31.2.0.1 recently) - I cannot say for sure if this started (in both cases) since either of the last PM update - but it's possible - that said however, considering the update of note (v31.2.0) had the most changes and was released back on 2022-08-02 - it's perhaps unlikely the issues are due to PM updates, hence more likely changes on the Schwab site are responsible. :think:

Now that I have had the opportunity to test on two different machines - it would appear to be highly unlikely and issue on my end but rather an (incompatibility) issue between the PM browser and Schwab website.

The error-console in this case (for Win10) still has no "errors" but a huge slew of "warnings" (I'm only including a small portion ~5% of the warnings below - most of the warnings at the point I am posting continues to repeat warnings previously encountered) - I am unable to include all "warnings" due to the following forum message:
Your message contains 247350 characters.
The maximum number of allowed characters is 60000.

So I have removed all of the "@media print...." warning lines at the top that appeared to be duplicated (as there were a horrendous number of lines involved):

Timestamp: 8/10/2022 8:37:21 AM
Warning: Expected ‘none’, URL, or filter function but found ‘alpha(’.  Error in parsing value for ‘filter’.  Declaration dropped.
Source File: https://client.schwabcdn.com/content/bootstrap.min.css?v=CXP-22.7
Line: 9, Column: 107659
Source Code:
Warning: Expected end of value but found ‘\9 ’.  Error in parsing value for ‘background-color’.  Declaration dropped.
Source File: https://client.schwabcdn.com/content/bootstrap.min.css?v=CXP-22.7
Line: 9, Column: 108605
Source Code:
Warning: Unknown property ‘speak’.  Declaration dropped.
Source File: https://client.schwabcdn.com/css/schwab-fa-icons.css?v=CXP-22.7
Line: 15, Column: 7
Source Code:
  speak: none;
Warning: Unknown property ‘-moz-osx-font-smoothing’.  Declaration dropped.
Line: 24, Column: 25
Source Code:
  -moz-osx-font-smoothing: grayscale;
Line: 29, Column: 6
Source Code:
Line: 40, Column: 24
Source Code:
 -moz-osx-font-smoothing: grayscale;
Warning: Expected ‘none’, URL, or filter function but found ‘progid’.  Error in parsing value for ‘filter’.  Declaration dropped.
Line: 48, Column: 10
Source Code:
  filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.BasicImage(rotation=1);
Warning: Expected ‘none’, URL, or filter function but found ‘progid’.  Error in parsing value for ‘filter’.  Declaration dropped.
Line: 56, Column: 10
Source Code:
  filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.BasicImage(rotation=2);
Line: 64, Column: 10
Source Code:
  filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.BasicImage(rotation=3);
Line: 72, Column: 10
Source Code:
  filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.BasicImage(rotation=0, mirror=1);
Line: 80, Column: 10
Source Code:
  filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.BasicImage(rotation=2, mirror=1);
Source File: https://client.schwabcdn.com/fonts/style.css?v=CXP-22.7
Line: 11, Column: 7
Source Code:
Line: 19, Column: 25
Source Code:
  -moz-osx-font-smoothing: grayscale; }
Line: 1107, Column: 10
Source Code:
  filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.BasicImage(rotation=1);
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-08-10, 16:36

Hmm, the navigation functions are back - tested twice on Win10 machine:
Circled in RED area is what had been missing for the last 1½ hours
Circled in RED area is what had been missing for the last 1½ hours
Tested for a third time and once again the navigation functions are missing:
All navigation functions missing apparently intermittently
All navigation functions missing apparently intermittently
So it would appear Schwab is currently unstable and will hopefully resolve this issue.

I will check-off topic as resolved in the event this current issue appears to have been addressed by Schwab at some point.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2022-08-12, 14:11

I moved my accounts to Schwab in late Dec. 2020. I used to be a broker, financial planner and ultimately pension consultant. I have worked in the investment area since 1980.

I have also used Pale Moon for a number of years and it used to work great pretty much anywhere. However, I started having issues on some financial sites last year. First, Chase began working slower and slower and slower. Next, I have filed my own taxes using Turbo Tax since it was a DOS based program. One of the benefits of the digital age is it became possible to download all of my financial information directly into Turbo Tax. I did this from Morgan Stanley when I had my account there and was able to do this for the scant 2020 info from Schwab as well. TT also worked on other financial sites.

This year it was not possible to download the tax info from Schwab into Turbo Tax. But I was still able to download that info from other financial sites. Schwab has been doing a lot of IT work on their site and they could not fix the tax issue. Turbo tax made it possible for Schwab clients to download the stuff by firt moving it to their servers and then having their users download it from there. This was my first hint that Schwab was having problem with their systems and coding.

And then one day I logged onto my Schwab account and none of the pop-ups with information worked. I could not see things I saw the day before, I was up-to-date on my PM version and had not changed my settings. It was not long after that that I was migrating to Windows 10 (ugh). I had a professional build my new box , install software and migrate data. He downloaded FireFox for this so it was on my box. I had planned to remove it and get a different 2nd browser. But some of them had the same display issue as PM. So I now do not try to access either Chase bank or Schwab using PM. They will not work well or almost at all on these sites. I can still use PM on Citibank

Then Schwab implemented it's long touted upgrade to the new Schwab interface. Talk about a disaster. Firstly, things one could do from one page with a single click now required a new browser tab/window. Some links that got one to another area fast were now gone and replaced by several steps. This great upgrade has made it harder to see information, to navigate with ease etc. Some needed info was almost impossible to find. They failed miserably and user complaints were coming in to Schwab fast and furious.

Moreover, it appears as if they are constantly trying to fix things. They do this late nights because users are not online so much as during the trading day. But I am retired and keep weird hours. I often go to my Schwab account between 1 a.m. and 4 a.m. And when I click on a stock holding in my holdings list it should take me to the quotation and information page for the company. Instead it takes me to a blank page. This part of the system is down. Pages that load fine during the day in FF often do not late at night at times.

I have given up trying to use PM on Chase, Schwab and Youtube. The only Google places PM works OK for me are the two search area, general search and scholar. But PM and Google issues are nothing new.

While I believe PM is the problem on the some sites, I think Schwab bears most of the responsibility since PM worked fine until the upgrade but the Google and Chase issues predated that. I also fund on some merchant sites and a few other sites will not work in part using P M. So now I am smart enough to have FF and I can pretty much use that anywhere. However, I only use it on sites where P M wont work well.

I have PM and FF configured very similarly- always use private browsing, store no cookies nor any history and I turn off as much of the data sharing stuff as possible. I only use the DDG Privacy Essential extension but on PPM I have a few more. Using Safe mode does not fix the PM issues on Chase or Schwab.

So, I would expect those here using PM to access Schwab be prepared for more issues because I believe the Schwab site has tech issues and that they are having problems fixing them. Things one used to do with one click in the same window/tab now must have multiple ones open. Things that one could get with one click now can take 4 or 5. Their old interface was way better than the new one which wastes a lot of a users time finding anything.

That old saying. "If it ain't broke down fix it." seems to have died in the digital age. The best and longest working dishwasher we have had in the past 20 years is analog- 6 mechanical push buttons and one dial. I do not think it contains any digital components.Our first microwave, an Amana Radar Range, ran for about 30 years I think. We have had three since it finally died and our current one is starting to get flakey, *sigh*
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-12, 14:40

TwoTankAmin wrote:
2022-08-12, 14:11
Moreover, it appears as if they are constantly trying to fix things.
You mean "change things". I doubt it's actually "fixing" anything (aside from maybe making it even more chrome-centric)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-08-12, 18:04

It appears the issue discussed here will apparently remain persistent since the last time the navigation functions last worked was when I posted a screen-shot above on Aug 10, 2022 at 9:36 am (fortunately the functions rendered a couple of times allowing me to capture a screen-shot - of what would appear to be the "old" page navigation functions and that the "new" page navigation functions would appear to no longer work in Pale Moon).

So it would appear the navigation functions (that I was able to capture in Pale Moon 2 days ago) have changed from:
What would appear to be the OLD page that formerly worked in Pale Moon.
What would appear to be the OLD page that formerly worked in Pale Moon.
This above screen-shot example that last worked can be seen to be different than the screen-shot below (some navigation functions are displayed in a different order located below the top banner).
to this new format that would appear to persistently fail to work in Pale Moon:
What would appear to be the NEW page that will not render properly in Pale Moon (Firefox used for this screen-shot).
What would appear to be the NEW page that will not render properly in Pale Moon (Firefox used for this screen-shot).
This above screen-shot example (that has changed some positions of some functions) that works in Firefox but will not apparently work in Pale Moon.

In as much as the issue has remained persistent now for the last two days - I surmise that Schwab now has a stable release of the "new" page format exhibited in the second screen-shot above (which will be the permanent update to the page that prevents the navigation functions from rendering in Pale Moon unfortunately).

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2022-08-12, 18:34

I see that they made an adaptive design that depends on the width of the window. Try open the browser window to the full width and/or use zoom out (view -> zoom -> zoom Out).

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-08-12, 19:32

Thanks for the feedback - tried incremental zooming in/out to several levels - no change on Win10 laptop (navigation functions remain missing).

Tried the same thing on my Desktop that has a 20 inch monitor - still no change with the window fully expanded and once again zooming in either direction in/out several increments (navigation functions continue to remain missing).

The missing navigation functions basically makes the site unnavigable including the inability to log-off appropriately (I'll have to make a note on my start-page to use Firefox for the Schwab site unfortunately :(, as I've had to do for a number of other sites :eh: - I'll randomly check-in on Pale Moon using Schwab, in the hope the issue will eventually get resolved)

Addendum Note: tested in Safe-Mode.

And btw, still no "errors" in error-console.

FWIW, got this repeated "warning" loading the page with the missing navigation functions (on Win7 desktop w/ 20" screen):

Timestamp: 8/12/2022 12:37:54 PM
Warning: Error: WebGL: Failed to create WebGL context: WebGL is currently disabled.
Source File: https://sws-gateway.schwab.com/ui/host/scripts.56ba8a7e2de57473effd.js
Line: 1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-12, 20:12

Why are they trying to use WebGL to begin with? Are they a 3D application or using complex graphical things that requires WebGL?
Probably not -- which means it's probably some library used for tracking/fingerprinting using WebGL :P Might not even be known to schwab that that's happening if they are just lego-ing their "app" together.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-08-16, 16:12

I'm now finding other Schwab issues beyond the missing navigation functions -- i.e. the "Account" drop-down function no longer works on the "Positions" pages is one example (these functions that have sadly stopped working of late have been working on Pale Moon for the entire 7 years I've been using Pale Moon). I have been trying to use Pale Moon absent navigation functions on Schwab, but now that other issues are cropping up and absent navigation functions I'm afraid using the website on Pale Moon has at this time unfortunately become virtually impossible (sadly this site will now have to be another that will require other browsers i.e. Firefox :()

Here is the error (when attempting to utilize the drop-down on the Accounts page):

Timestamp: 8/16/2022 8:53:47 AM
Error: TypeError: MegachanComponent.meganav.collapseUtilities is not a function
Source File: https://client.schwabcdn.com/scripts/responsive-header.min.js?v=CXP-22.7
Line: 1
Any ideas based on the error as to what's up with this issue? :problem: (I'm hoping stuff like this can and will be addressed over time for Pale Moon... :think:)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-16, 16:25

Pallid Planetoid wrote:
2022-08-16, 16:12
Any ideas based on the error as to what's up with this issue? :problem:
Nope, the error doesn't tell us anything, aside from a (custom) function not being defined in their JS that it expects.