abc.net.au - Some pics not working

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Ron_S
Moongazer
Moongazer

abc.net.au - Some pics not working

Unread post by Ron_S » 2022-08-11, 22:07

Howdy,

I'm not sure exactly how long this has gone on for as it's my Mother who asked me about it, but pictures in most pages aren't showing.
She seems to think it's been around 6 months.

Weirdly pics on the main page work but pics in news links do not. Some external things do work though, like twitter stuff and some videos.

For example -
This page works fine - https://www.abc.net.au/news/
This page does not - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-12/ ... /101310474

Librewolf appears to work fine.

I tried an unmolested profile and on a few other PC's I maintain which initially had older versions of PM (now updated), all behaved the same.
WIN10 64 AMD Ryzen and similar.

I tried getting the error console stuff but after I cleared it no more errors showed so I'm not sure what happened there?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: abc.net.au - Some pics not working

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-11, 23:22

They use weird styling that explicitly and solely relies on placing images inside a padding-bottom zone of a 0-height element with overflow:hidden where the padding-bottom is calculated using a min() CSS calc function. It seems to be explicitly designed to be incompatible with older and alternative browsers. There is no reason whatsoever why you would ever want to design a page that way unless you want it to break. I mean, seriously. place an IMG inside a 0-height (explicitly defined) element, then "force" that element to have specific padding to make room for the image (instead of just using height?) and making that padding depend on an overly-complex CSS functional calculation doing something with an aspect ratio (that is already native to an image...) ...? :crazy:

Code: Select all

height: 0;
max-width: 100%;
overflow: hidden;
padding-bottom: min(var( --aspect-ratio-container-max-height,calc(100%/var(--aspect-ratio)) ),calc(100%/var(--aspect-ratio)));
position: relative;
width: calc(var(--aspect-ratio-container-max-height, auto)*var(--aspect-ratio));
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-08-12, 00:46

Something funny - if I turn off all javascript for the site using the eMatrix extension BUT I allow images on the page, then I get the text and images.

Edit: no, it's not the javascript, it's the css as Moonchild said.
2022-08-11_19-42.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-12, 11:32

unnecessary design choices aside, the reason this doesn't work in Pale Moon is because we don't support the min() calculation function (or calculation in general) in-line in many places at the moment. CSS was never designed to be a scripting language and our CSS parsing and computation simply isn't very well suited for it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Ron_S
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Ron_S » 2022-08-14, 02:32

Well that's just crappy, dumb web designers at it again.
Thanks for sussing it out.

Moonchild - You said PM doesn't support such and such 'at the moment'. Does this mean sometime in the future PM will be supporting it, or is it a case of only the site designers can make that happen if they decide to do the right thing?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-14, 08:22

Ron_S wrote:
2022-08-14, 02:32
Moonchild - You said PM doesn't support such and such 'at the moment'. Does this mean sometime in the future PM will be supporting it, or is it a case of only the site designers can make that happen if they decide to do the right thing?
As with many of these things, web designers can fix this today on their side. We do intend to have more complete support for this kind of stuff (there are open issues for it) hence the "at the moment" but I honestly don't have an idea when anyone would get around to solving the puzzle how to make that happen in coding. It honestly may not be very feasible since they keep changing the standards and specs and we have to pick and choose carefully to know what the biggest and most important improvements are we need to prioritize. So I can't say we will support it in the future. We hope to support it in the future, sure, but if/when that is, I don't know. Crystal balls are hard to come by (working ones, I mean ;-) )

Ron_S
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Ron_S » 2022-08-14, 21:00

Understood loud and clear.
Thanks for the explanation and what you've given us with PM.