allaboutdisil.wordpress.com font is thin

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.

Please try and include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
Disil07
Moonbather
Moonbather

allaboutdisil.wordpress.com font is thin

Unread post by Disil07 » 2022-06-23, 08:26

First of all All About Disil is a blog of mine, so suggestions for my website are welcome.

My website looks weird in Pale Moon and any other UXP based browser (seamonkey is fine). Basically, the fonts are thin as heck, to the point where it is not readable. This is how it look in other browser (edge, ie, ff):
But in Pale Moon it look like this:

Is there anything I can do to make it look normal (not super thin like the 2nd image)? I have tried them in safe mode/new profiles, but none worked. This is the link to the blog in case you guys wanna test how it looks too.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: allaboutdisil.wordpress.com font is thin

Unread post by Night Wing » 2022-06-23, 09:31

When I clicked on your link and the page came up, the page rendered properly since it does not look "thin" as your's does in your second image . It looks like the first image.

At this time, I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 31.1.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 20.3 (Una) Xfce. The only extension I'm using is uBlock Origin which is enabled and a lightweight theme named, "Moonscape".
Last edited by Night Wing on 2022-06-23, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Una) Xfce 64 Bit with 64 Bit linux Pale Moon

Disil07
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Disil07 » 2022-06-23, 10:24

I just tried to load the site on safe mode again, and it works properly. But if i use a new profile (non safe mode, and not altered) it would display like the 2nd images.

Is this driver issues? I have latest W11 with Celeron & Intel UHD graphics (with updated driver). 4gb ram btw.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2022-06-23, 14:00

Confirmed.

I'm not sure, but I'm suspecting that something changed on Google's side, particularly with the 'Montserrat' font. AFAICT, this Wordpress theme relies on Google Fonts for their copy of the font. For some reason, the 400-font-weight version is always used regardless of the specified font weight, at least, on Windows. If I prevent Google's copy from loading and force the system-installed 'Montserrat' font to be used, there's no rendering issues.

I have an old project that also relies on Google Fonts with the same font family (Montserrat). I've tested this old project extensively in the past with Pale Moon 29 and it used to render the fonts fine. However, upon testing now, with the latest versions of Pale Moon 28, 29, and 31, the font rendering has also become thin.

For comparison, I'm currently running a machine with Windows 10, a Ryzen 4000 series CPU, AMD iGPU, and 16 gigs of RAM.

Disil07
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Disil07 » 2022-06-24, 02:02

I changed my website fonts. This fixed the problem, but im still confused because the page (with Montserrat) does actually work fine in safe mode but not in a fresh profile.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-06-24, 15:15

Safe mode disable hardware accelerated font drawing. A new profile does not. If a font has bad interaction with Direct2D and ClearType like Google's Montserrat "update" does (most likely due to bad kerning or similar) then it would not show in safe mode but would show in an otherwise fully accelerated new profile.

Please relay your experiences to Google as well.
"You will observe with concern how long a useful truth may be known and exist before it is generally received and practiced on." -- Benjamin Franklin
"Compromise and collaboration lie at the heart of all great endeavours" -- Kassandra