NetFusion Suite (SeaMonkey fork) Alpha 1 Release

Discussions about applications built on our platform code that do not have a dedicated board.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

mrnhmath
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: NetFusion Suite (SeaMonkey fork) Alpha 1 Release

Unread post by mrnhmath » 2023-09-19, 17:57

Bilbo47 wrote:
2023-09-19, 15:50
Is there supposed to be a Lightning-like add-on or built-in to give calendar features?
Calendar support code and files were removed since I wanted the repo to contain only the suite. I would be more than happy to restore conditionals and have Lightning as an optional extension if someone volunteered to maintain a separate repo for it. Maybe a joint effort by all mailnews customers? :D

alex394
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by alex394 » 2023-10-01, 17:29

Thanks for the update on NetFusion Suite and the Lightning calendar situation. As a SeaMonkey fan, I'm excited to try out this new fork and appreciate all your hard work on it!

I can understand not wanting to take on maintaining the full Lightning codebase long-term if there aren't enough users of that particular component. Stripping it out makes sense from a scope perspective.

However, having calendar functionality is still pretty important for an all-in-one internet app suite in my opinion. I like your suggestion of restoring the conditionals and separation so Lightning can still be included optionally for those who want it.

I'd be happy to pitch in and help test/troubleshoot the calendar piece if others want to contribute to a shared maintenance effort. Perhaps we could rally some support across the various SeaMonkey/Gecko mail clients. Count me in to help if we can get a team going! Just let me know - excited to help however I can.

mrnhmath
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mrnhmath » 2023-10-01, 21:35

alex394 wrote:
2023-10-01, 17:29
Thanks for the update on NetFusion Suite and the Lightning calendar situation. As a SeaMonkey fan, I'm excited to try out this new fork and appreciate all your hard work on it!

I can understand not wanting to take on maintaining the full Lightning codebase long-term if there aren't enough users of that particular component. Stripping it out makes sense from a scope perspective.

However, having calendar functionality is still pretty important for an all-in-one internet app suite in my opinion. I like your suggestion of restoring the conditionals and separation so Lightning can still be included optionally for those who want it.

I'd be happy to pitch in and help test/troubleshoot the calendar piece if others want to contribute to a shared maintenance effort. Perhaps we could rally some support across the various SeaMonkey/Gecko mail clients. Count me in to help if we can get a team going! Just let me know - excited to help however I can.
athenian200 has kindly given me permission to point to his Lightning sources, so that will be included in the first beta release.

I'm glad to see your enthusiasm about the project. Can't take much credit since all the grunt work has been done by Mozilla/SeaMonkey and UXP contributors, I'm merely cleaning things up and making sure the suite can have a stable future.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2023-10-02, 00:27

Off-topic:
mrnhmath wrote:
2023-10-01, 21:35
athenian200 has kindly given me permission to point to his Lightning sources, so that will be included in the first beta release.

I'm glad to see your enthusiasm about the project. Can't take much credit since all the grunt work has been done by Mozilla/SeaMonkey and UXP contributors, I'm merely cleaning things up and making sure the suite can have a stable future.
Thank you and everyone keeping things alive, along with the UXP devs, Pale Moon, Basilisk, Epyrus, Sealion. Doing God's work, lemme tell you
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2023-10-28, 22:59

Excited about testing a UXP-compatible calendar package. Epyrus does not work well enough with my 24 calendars among several different back-ends. Have to use BetterBird for calendaring. Bummer that the email module can't be turned off, so as to have *only* the calendar running.

mrnhmath
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mrnhmath » 2023-10-30, 13:03

Bilbo47 wrote:
2023-10-28, 22:59
Excited about testing a UXP-compatible calendar package. Epyrus does not work well enough with my 24 calendars among several different back-ends. Have to use BetterBird for calendaring. Bummer that the email module can't be turned off, so as to have *only* the calendar running.
What issues are you having with Epyrus calendar? It's likely that they would get carried over to NetFusion as it will use the same Lightning component as Epyrus.

The standalone calendar used to be a thing but it was abandoned around the time of Gecko 2/Firefox 4. It's on my list of things to take a look at and see what can be done about.

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2023-10-30, 16:17

mrnhmath wrote:
2023-10-30, 13:03
Bilbo47 wrote:
2023-10-28, 22:59
Epyrus does not work well enough
What issues are you having with Epyrus calendar?
Okay, should that detail be posted here, or maybe as a new issue on an Epyrus forum/thread?

In general using Ep 2.1.0 64b, updating or deleting a calendar item fails to propagate to the CalDav back end. The Alert dialog takes button clicks but does not act. Only X-ing out / CloseWindow works, and that does not try to update the item. This used to be so consistent in previous versions including older TBs and Interlink (latest 2022-July even though it's now dated 2023-summer) that I never used Lightning in those clients against CalDav. Then BetterBird became always-reliable on CalDav as well as GglCal, so I tried Lightning on newer Epyruses - and it worked often enough that I stopped using BB. But after using it a while now, it fails too often, so BB gets used as a backstop.

Hopefully this gives some clues. I know various CalDav back ends have different compatibilities, but the standard and the clients have been around long enough that I don't get what the problem is.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2023-10-30, 20:42

Bilbo47 wrote:
2023-10-30, 16:17
Okay, should that detail be posted here, or maybe as a new issue on an Epyrus forum/thread?

In general using Ep 2.1.0 64b, updating or deleting a calendar item fails to propagate to the CalDav back end. The Alert dialog takes button clicks but does not act. Only X-ing out / CloseWindow works, and that does not try to update the item. This used to be so consistent in previous versions including older TBs and Interlink (latest 2022-July even though it's now dated 2023-summer) that I never used Lightning in those clients against CalDav. Then BetterBird became always-reliable on CalDav as well as GglCal, so I tried Lightning on newer Epyruses - and it worked often enough that I stopped using BB. But after using it a while now, it fails too often, so BB gets used as a backstop.

Hopefully this gives some clues. I know various CalDav back ends have different compatibilities, but the standard and the clients have been around long enough that I don't get what the problem is.
You should probably post it as an issue on the Epyrus git repo, actually, since work on the calendar will be done there. I'm sorry to hear you're having these kind of problems, though. Hopefully with mrnhmath's help, though, we can get the calendar issues sorted out with both Epyrus and NetFusion at the same time (seeing as we share that code).

https://repo.palemoon.org/athenian200/epyrus/issues
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2024-02-11, 17:47

SeaMonkey 2.53.13 does not track dates for passwords (last-used, last-modified) apparently. That right there is enough to move from SM to NF.

As part of regular password rotation, you can open an XUL app's password manager, sort by date-modified, and delete all passwords that need to be changed because they are too old. Then the next time the app tries to log in to that site, the [Enter password] prompt acts as a reminder to log in and update that site's password. Obviously, use a different password for each site.

mrnhmath
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mrnhmath » 2024-03-23, 15:26

Figured out I'd post a status update on NetFusion since it's been a while. Here are the blockers for a Beta 1 release:
  • Restore calendar integration
  • Finish transitioning the bookmarks manager to match Phoenix (Firefox, Pale Moon) Places UI
  • Replace the current generic branding. Something about camels fascinate me...
  • Replace Classic theme icon set with the original Netscape ones, placeholder for now
  • Set up update server and basic infrastructure for add-on uploading
Apologies for the lack of progress on NetFusion. I'm doing it in my spare time and I've got other
projects such as OpenMATE and XULRunner to take care as well.

Punkwood
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by Punkwood » 2024-04-26, 14:44

mrnhmath wrote:
2024-03-23, 15:26
Figured out I'd post a status update on NetFusion since it's been a while.
Take all the time you need. This is a pretty awesome concept being brought to life. Better done right than half-assed.