SeaMonkey fork

Discussions about applications built on our platform code that do not have a dedicated board.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: SeaMonkey fork

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-08-17, 02:18

@ wicknix

In linux SeaLion, when I installed it and clicked on the launcher icon, it automatically came up (I think) in the "Modern" theme. In this theme, the vertical scroll bar on the right side is very thin as in one or two pixels wide. With my poor eyesight, it looks like one pixel in width.

So I followed your instructions and saw the Default theme. Clicked on that, restarted SeaLion and you were correct, the vertical scroll bar is wide where I can easily see and grab it with my mouse. So it is a "linux thing". I am going to keep using the Default theme.

Now, I do want to thank you for keeping something in "about:config" to easily change.

This concerns the Navigation (Address) Toolbar.

All the browsers I have worked with (Pale Moon, Firefox, Waterfox,) at one time the address of a site or page in the Navigation Toolbar; all the letters, numbers, slashes, etc; were all in solid black color on a white background. Easy to see and read for people with poor eyesight.

But as time went along, some developers got the "bright idea" to "only" use the site's main title to have solid black letters. All the other letters, numbers, slashes, etc; were in light gray color usually on a white colored background. In other words, looks like the term, "grayed out". I am sure developers had a very good reason to do that and can defend it.

But let me play Devil's Advocate.

Since I have poor eyesight of 20/400, I absolutely "hate" light gray colored letters, numbers, slashes on a white colored background in the Navigation Toolbar. Again, I just can't read anything with that gray coloring on a white colored background. And my external monitor is 32" in size.

So after installing SeaLion, installing my Bookmarks, configuring it to my liking; then I went into "about:config" and searched for:

Code: Select all

browser.urlbar.formatting.enabled
and the code was there, where the default is "true" and changed that to:

Code: Select all

false
And the entire address in the Navigation Toolbar (letters, numbers, slashes, etc) is all solid black color. Easy to see and read. Both Pale Moon and SeaLion have the code in "about:config" which is easy to change. If developers had poor eyesight like me, I have a sneaking hunch they would all have solid black letters, numbers, slashes in the Navigation Toolbar.

In closing.

In Waterfox and Firefox, the above code was taken out of it many years ago in "about:config". So in these two browsers, I have to add that code back in and then change the "true" to "false".

So thank you for leaving that code in "about:config" for SeaLion to change the coloring since all I had to do was change the "true" to "false" to be able to read "easily" what is in the Navigation Toolbar.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2023-08-17, 04:15, edited 2 times in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

mrnhmath
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mrnhmath » 2023-08-17, 02:21

I suppose a new topic should be split for SeaLion, it is a different application after all.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-08-17, 03:02

@ mrnhmath

The topic thread title is SeaMonkey Fork with emphasis on the word, "fork". So is SeaLion a fork of SeaMonkey or not? I assumed it was.

But in the grand scheme of things, since I've been playing around with SeaLion, it helps "wicknix" improve this browser since he seems to be the one who is maintaining it. And there might be others on here who might take SeaLion out for a test drive after seeing my comments.

I'm only testing out SeaLion because I do not need the Mail module in SeaMonkey.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2023-08-17, 09:50, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

mrnhmath
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mrnhmath » 2023-08-17, 03:12

Night Wing wrote:
2023-08-17, 03:02
is SeaLion a fork of SeaMonkey or not?
It's a fork of Borealis, which in turn is based on SeaMonkey code.

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2023-08-17, 03:34

Night Wing wrote:
2023-08-17, 02:18
@ wicknix

In linux SeaLion, when I installed it and clicked on the launcher icon, it automatically came up (I think) in the "Modern" theme. In this theme, the vertical scroll bar on the right side is very thin as in one or two pixels wide. With my poor eyesight, it looks like one pixel in width.

So I followed your instructions and saw the Default theme. Clicked on that, restarted SeaLion and you were correct, the vertical scroll bar is wide where I can easily see and grab it with my mouse. So it is a "linux thing". I am going to keep using the Default theme.
Thanks for testing the themes. I will take a look at the Modern theme and see about adjusting the scroll bar size. In the mean time i included 3 other themes in the sealion-extras.zip. Kilome (blue KDE-like icons), Orthodox (Netscape 4 icons), and Pinball.
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver...

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2023-08-17, 03:44

mrnhmath wrote:
2023-08-17, 02:21
I suppose a new topic should be split for SeaLion, it is a different application after all.
I agree with you, and with Night Wing. They are both SeaMonkey forks, and both fit this thread. However once yours is released it should have it's own thread, and SeaLion should have it's own thread as well. I already apologized for jumping in this thread, but the topic is "SeaMonkey fork". I'll leave it up to @MoonChild to decide since i really don't want to abuse his forum and resources. I do have SeaLion on github, so in theory any questions/issues about SeaLion can be posted in the issue tracker if need be.

Cheers

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-08-17, 06:26

If you guys want to split this up into dedicated topics, go ahead :)
It makes it easier for users to understand what's going on, I'm sure.

As for resources... one more or less topic in the db of the forum really doesn't make a difference.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-08-17, 09:59

Moonchild wrote:
2023-08-17, 06:26
If you guys want to split this up into dedicated topics, go ahead :)
It makes it easier for users to understand what's going on
To keep the peace around here, whoever is the one responsible and who can make this into two dedicated topics, go ahead and do so.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2023-08-17, 13:53

wicknix wrote:
2023-08-16, 23:28
1) That's a good question. Let me play around with it a bit on Linux. I normally use Macs which don't generally have middle click.
2) Pretty happy with what's available and what works at the moment. I randomly test various extensions out. Most don't work sadly. Some will install, but then never show up in the menu or status bar. My guess would be issues with the xul overlay, but i'm not really sure.
Sounds good, thanks for the feedback, and keep up the good work :)
Off-topic:
Is anyone going to take over the development of Borealis or fork it? I remember testing a version and it was also quite good.
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-08-17, 14:01

Off-topic:
fatboy wrote:
2023-08-17, 13:53
Is anyone going to take over the development of Borealis or fork it?
AFAIU, SeaLion is exactly that.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2023-08-17, 18:47

in the "Modern" theme. In this theme, the vertical scroll bar on the right side is very thin as in one or two pixels wide ... followed your instructions and saw the Default theme. Clicked on that ... the vertical scroll bar is wide where I can easily see and grab it with my mouse. So it is a "linux thing".
I'm going to say it incorrectly, but it is not a "linux thing". It is a theme (/browser) issue.
And I'm going to say it incorrectly, but ;-), there are two type of themes, & one type is affected by this (Modern) & one is not (Classic).

Actually, Pale Moon should have the very same issue - depending on the theme used, no?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-08-17, 19:56

Off-topic:
@ therube

Looks like it is a theme issue. And Pale Moon does have the same issue when it comes to the vertical scroll bar.

When I install a new version of a linux distro, I just dowload the newest linux Pale Moon version. Once I have the linux Pale Moon launcher icon on my Panel (Taskbar for windows users), I left click on the launcher and Pale Moon opens. I never pay attention to the Default theme in Pale Moon because I do not use it anymore. I probably have not used the Default theme in Pale Moon for the last eight years.

Once my Bookmarks are up in the Bookmarks Toolbar, I immediately go to my Bookmarks and navigate to the Themes on the Pale Moon Homepage, find Themes, scroll down the page until I come to the Moonscape theme. Then I install it. I use this theme since it gives me more bookmarks on the Bookmarks Toolbar than the Default theme does in Pale Moon. I never look at the vertical scroll bar either in the Default theme.

After reading your comments, I went ahead and switched over to the Default theme and you are correct. The vertical scroll bar is much thinner in width in the Default theme for Pale Moon than it is in the Moonscape theme. Then I went and switched back to the Moonscape theme.

Good catch on your part.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2023-08-17, 22:23

I might have missed this, but is the update mechanism working for the Linux builds? I didn't see a way to check for updates?
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2023-08-18, 00:00

The scroll bars are now fixed in the Modern theme and will be included in the next release. Also, for now, there is no auto update feature. New releases will generally be available within a week of PM's releases as it takes a little time to build for 3 different operating systems.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-08-18, 00:50

Off-topic:
I never use the update mechanism for new versions of linux distros or linux browsers. I like updating distros and browsers manually.

For my main two linux distros featuring Mint and MX Linux, the links for both of them are below:

https://www.linuxmint.com/

https://mxlinux.org/download-links/

For the linux browsers concerning Pale Moon, Waterfox, Mercury and SeaLion, the links for them are also below:

https://www.palemoon.org/download.shtml

https://www.waterfox.net/en-US/docs/releases/

https://github.com/Alex313031/Mercury/releases

https://github.com/wicknix/SeaLion/releases

Since linux Firefox is the default browser which is installed by default in both Mint and MX Linux, the new updates for Firefox come through both distros Update Manager.

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2023-08-18, 16:52

Uploaded new builds. Should fix Modern theme scroll bars and added some other small tweaks.

Cheers

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-08-18, 17:33

wicknix wrote:
2023-08-18, 16:52
Uploaded new builds. Should fix Modern theme scroll bars and added some other small tweaks.
I'm typing this message using your new SeaLion 32.3.1 version with the Modern theme on my 14", dv4-5113cl HP laptop which I use for experimental purposes.

The vertical scroll bar is now much easier for me to see and grabbing the scroll bar is also easy to grab with my cursor as well with the new wider vertical scroll bar.

Thanks! :D

BTW, I noticed you changed the logo a little bit too. Looks nice. :thumbup:

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2023-08-19, 04:12

wicknix wrote:
2023-08-14, 04:29
Off-topic:
As stated previously, it's the browser component only. I didn't want the suite. It's been available for a few months now for MacOS 10.7-12.6 (32-bit and 64-bit), x86_64 Linux, and PowerPC (32-bit) Linux. I don't know if it's ok to link to it here, so if you're interested in it, just do a web search on my username and look for my github, or search the name of the browser from the previous screenshot i attach

That has my interest for sure. Curious if all the palemoon and basilisk addons will be supported? Mostly or well you know.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!
Also, say NO to Fascism and Corporatism as much as possible!

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2023-08-19, 07:19

That will depend on the add-ons' install.rdf themselves. SeaLion reuses SeaMonkey's UUID I think.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2023-08-19, 15:03

As of right now it supports about 25 add-ons which is enough to cover the basics. SeaLion also uses PM's UUID because i wanted greater extension support (and i didn't want to use the defunct Borealis UUID), but as mentioned, lots will install, but most wont show up in the menu or status bar. They can be found in Tools -> Add-ons Manager -> Extensions however. I'm sure most could eventually work with some changes, but i know nothing about extension development and how the overlays work.

As a side note, most of these https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/ should work with a simple UUID change in the install.rdf.

Cheers