SeaMonkey fork

Discussions about applications built on our platform code that do not have a dedicated board.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: SeaMonkey fork

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-08-14, 07:15

Off-topic:
wicknix wrote:
2023-08-14, 04:29
I don't know if it's ok to link to it here
Feel free to provide links if you want. I don't mind :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2023-08-14, 13:18

Moonchild wrote:
2023-08-14, 07:15
Off-topic:
wicknix wrote:
2023-08-14, 04:29
I don't know if it's ok to link to it here
Feel free to provide links if you want. I don't mind :)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver...

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-08-14, 14:50

@ wicknix

If SeaLion is the new name for your fork of SeaMonkey, I like the new name.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2023-08-14, 16:59

Night Wing wrote:
2023-08-14, 14:50
@ wicknix

If SeaLion is the new name for your fork of SeaMonkey, I like the new name.
Thanks. Thought it was fitting since it's a real animal, it's based on SeaMonkey, and it runs on Mac OS X Lion. The icons also pay respect to Pale Moon / UXP by having the sea lion wrap around a moon. :thumbup:
sealion-logo.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-08-14, 18:25

@ wicknix

I'm just curious.

I like to try out different browsers. The three main browsers I use in my quiver are all linux browsers and they are Pale Moon, Waterfox and Firefox in two linux distros; Mint 21.2 and MX Linux 23. I mostly use Pale Moon and Waterfox in both distros with Firefox as an "after thought" if a site doesn't render properly with either Pale Moon or Waterfox.

For the last two weeks, I have been trying out the Mercury browser and I like it. With Waterfox and Mercury, I can install and use Firefox extensions. I was wondering if linux SeaLion can use the same extensions? Specifically, the uBlock Origin extension.

If uBlock Origin can be installedl in linux SeaLion, this would let me take SeaLion out for a "test drive" for a few weeks and see if I like it enough to add it to my quiver of browsers.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2023-08-15, 01:38

Yes, it has a version of uBlock available. In each release there is a separate download labeled sealion-extras.zip which i update periodically. In it are a few extra themes and some extensions that have been tested to work properly with SL.

Since you already use PM, there really is no advantage to using SL since they are both built on UXP. The only real difference is the UI, it's default preferences, and it doesn't support nearly as many extensions. Having said that, i'm not stopping you from giving it a whirl. ;)

Cheers

Edit: The x86_64 Linux build was built on Debian 11 and uses gtk2, so it should run on most any semi recent distro.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-08-15, 02:33

wicknix wrote:
2023-08-15, 01:38
Since you already use PM, there really is no advantage to using SL since they are both built on UXP.
I ditched Firefox for Seamonkey as my primary browser when they began their shenanigans by removing the statusbar in version 4; I kept Waterfox around for being 64-bit when Mozilla only offered Firefox in 32bit. I've always like the concept of a suite - mailto links would immediately open in a new mail compose window instead of grinding up to start a separate Thunderbird instance, and links in emails would immediately open in the browser component. I switched to Pale Moon in 2017 after the XUL deprecation announcement, but I'd still love to see a Seamonkey version running on UXP - and this seems to be it :thumbup:
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2023-08-15, 02:54

moonbat wrote:
2023-08-15, 02:33
but I'd still love to see a Seamonkey version running on UXP - and this seems to be it :thumbup:
Just to clarify, mrnhmath is doing the full suite. SeaLion is (and will always be) just the browser component.

Cheers
Off-topic:
Also, sorry for randomly hijacking this thread.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-08-15, 11:40

wicknix wrote:
2023-08-15, 01:38
Edit: The x86_64 Linux build was built on Debian 11 and uses gtk2, so it should run on most any semi recent distro.
While SeaLion is built on Debian 11; since Debian 12 (Bookworm) has now been recently released publicly, do you think you will sometime in the future and if you have the time, build SeaLion based on Debian 12?

On a side note, since I do not need the full suite; just the browser component, later today I am going to download SeaLion from the link you provided, then install all of my Bookmarks on my experimental laptop which I use for testing purposes.

Then I am going to try and install uBlock Origin from a different place where I get and install my UBO for Pale Moon instead of using your zip folder. If it doesn't work, then I will try from your zip folder.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-08-15, 12:23

Night Wing wrote:
2023-08-15, 11:40
Then I am going to try and install uBlock Origin from a different place where I get and install my UBO for Pale Moon instead of using your zip folder. If it doesn't work, then I will try from your zip folder.
Depending on whether SeaLion uses its own application ID or the same one as Seamonkey's (the way Basilisk reuses Firefox's ID), you may have to change the targetApplication in the extension manifest, or use the ones wicknix has provided.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-08-15, 14:34

Well, I'm typing this message using the SeaLion browser which is running in 64 bit MX Linux 23 (Libretto) Xfce on my experimental 14" HP Pavilion laptop.

It worked liked it should since I did not install it. I use it just like I use the Pale Moon, Waterfox and Mercury browsers which are also not installed in either Mint or MX Linux so there was no problem. I just created a path to the extracted SeaLion folder where I placed it and then created the SeaLion logo for the launcher icon on my Panel (taskbar).

I clicked on the SeaLion launcher icon on my Panel and SeaLion opened. Then I installed my Bookmarks from a thumb drive and configured SeaLion to my specifications. Then I tried installing uBlock Origin from the the two usual places I use to install it in Pale Moon and that produced a "no go" error. But I was expecting that error prompt.

Switched to "Plan B" and used the Add-ons zip file. Downloaded that and extracted the folder in it. I then opened the folder, scrolled on down till I saw "ublockorigin.xpi". I then double clicked on that expecting it to install UBO, but alas, it did not.

What it did was take me to another sub folder titled, "ublockorigin.xpi" with a bunch of "stuff" in it. Since I'm not a power user, this was as far as I could go since all that "stuff in there" is beyond me.

I will keep SeaLion on this laptop to see if I can figure how to get UBO installed and if I can't, then the extraced SeaLion folder will be deleted and SeaLion become another "footnote in history" (if you get my drift) in my browser experiments.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2023-08-15, 16:24

a "no go" error
Explain?

What does SeaLion "identify" itself as (in relation to extensions)?
It might simply need an addition to (uBlock's) install.rdf (<em:id>{xxxx ... xxxx}</em:id>) saying is a "go go" (instead of "no go").

Out of the box, UBO supports SeaMonkey & PM (& more).

Code: Select all

<!-- SeaMonkey -->
        <em:targetApplication>
            <Description>
                <em:id>{92650c4d-4b8e-4d2a-b7eb-24ecf4f6b63a}</em:id>
                <em:minVersion>2.46</em:minVersion>
                <em:maxVersion>2.*</em:maxVersion>
            </Description>
        </em:targetApplication>

<!-- Pale Moon -->
        <em:targetApplication>
            <Description>
                <em:id>{8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}</em:id>
                <em:minVersion>28.0.0</em:minVersion>
                <em:maxVersion>29.*</em:maxVersion>
            </Description>
        </em:targetApplication>

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2023-08-15, 17:26

You don't double-click on the .xpi files. That will just extract them as most file managers see them as zip files (which they kind of are, just renamed). Simply drag and drop the .xpi to a browser tab or window to install.

Cheers

mrnhmath
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mrnhmath » 2023-08-15, 18:02

As a side note, extensions will have to specifically cater to NetFusion as it will have its own GUID. Most SeaMonkey extensions will probably only require that change to work on NetFusion, but that isn't guaranteed.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-08-15, 18:05

wicknix wrote:
2023-08-15, 17:26
You don't double-click on the .xpi files. Simply drag and drop the .xpi to a browser tab or window to install.
Now you tell me :o...........or.............I might have missed that from a previous post of your's in this topic thread. :oops:

Anyhow, I've now got uBlock Origin 1.16.4.8-libre installed in SeaLion 32.2.2 which this post is being typed with. :D

Looks like an "old longboard surfer", like me, can still learn a few tricks every now and then. ;)

With me being a non-technical computer user and not a power user, your help is/was much appreciated by me. 8-)

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2023-08-16, 13:51

No problem. Glad you got it figured out and installed. You may also want to install the SeaTab extension as it puts a close button on each tab. I find it useful.

Cheers

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2023-08-16, 19:09

Just tested Sealion on Debian 12 and it's really good! Thank You, this will be replacing my Seamonkey install now, this browser is probably more actively developed than Seamonkey?
The addons zipfile was a nice touch!

Just one question, the mouse middle click does not close a tab, how can I change this behaviour?

Another question, what other addons are you looking to add to your browser?

So far so good, Sealion is flying through the web pages with ease! Awesome!
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-08-16, 20:47

wicknix wrote:
2023-08-16, 13:51
No problem. Glad you got it figured out and installed. You may also want to install the SeaTab extension as it puts a close button on each tab.
I saw the tabs did not have the close "x" button in them. I will install the SeaTab extension.

Now to switch gears a little.

This concerns the vertical scrollbar when one is on a website page and if the page is a long, the vertical scroll bar to the far right closest to the monitor's right side, is very hard to see. I'm not good at measurements, but the vertical scrollbar is so "thin", in other words not very wide.

I'm guessing the size is "one pixel" in width. I know I can scroll down the page with my mouse wheel. But on a long page, I find it easier to put my cursor on the top part of the scroll bar, then press and hold down my left mouse button and drag my mouse down the page as fast as I can where I want the page to stop. Then lift my finger off of the left mouse button.

I looked in the Preferences to see if there was a way to increase the width of the vertical scroll bar. I couldn't find any setting in the Preferences to do that. The Waterfox, Mercury and Firefox browsers also have that thin vertical scroll bar too. But in these browsers, I can go into "about:config" and change the width of the scroll bar in all three browsers by searching for:

widget.non-native-theme.scrollbar.size.override
The default size for all three browser is "0" which I find, speaking just for myself, "dumb". Not everyone has perfect 20/20 eyesight. So I change the default setting of "0" to:

in all three browsers above. Then I can easily see the vertical scroll bar because it is wider. The number "24" is good for me because my eyesight is 20/400. With the "24" number, the scroll bar width is easy for me to grab and use with my mouse.

Is there any way I can change the width for the vertical scroll bar in SeaLion's "about:config" so I can easily see it?

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2023-08-16, 23:28

fatboy wrote:
2023-08-16, 19:09
Just one question, the mouse middle click does not close a tab, how can I change this behaviour?

Another question, what other addons are you looking to add to your browser?
1) That's a good question. Let me play around with it a bit on Linux. I normally use Macs which don't generally have middle click.
2) Pretty happy with what's available and what works at the moment. I randomly test various extensions out. Most don't work sadly. Some will install, but then never show up in the menu or status bar. My guess would be issues with the xul overlay, but i'm not really sure.

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2023-08-16, 23:33

Night Wing wrote:
2023-08-16, 20:47
Is there any way I can change the width for the vertical scroll bar in SeaLion's "about:config" so I can easily see it?
Out of curiosity, can you switch to another theme? 2 are built in. Tools -> Add-ons Manager -> Themes. Switch to "Default" and see if that makes a difference. If it does, then that narrows it down to the Modern theme that needs adjustment.