Help desired for, fixing errors Topic is solved

Discussions about applications built on our platform code that do not have a dedicated board.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Help desired for, fixing errors

Unread post by frostknight » 2023-07-06, 02:16

The patches I have are below:
https://upload.disroot.org/r/8ggbz1Vb#9 ... NKjWrq0us=

This is for building icedove-uxp.

I wanted to base it on the latest RB_20230613

put uxp in icedove-uxp, yes the one from here:
https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/softwa ... e-uxp.git/

and change name to mozilla

then apply all patches in the zip to it. The one that says basilisk near it, is needed to be modified though I am afraid. It was used for iceweasel-uxp to make that buildable which worked then.

I keep getting some weird problems:

https://pagure.io/icedove-uxp/issue/1

He been busy lately sadly... but yeah.

Anyone have time/willingness to help me?

Will respond whenever I get a chance.

Also wondering how can I modify the current pkgbuilds of iceweasel-uxp and icedove-uxp to build using the latest sources, meaning in this case, RB_20230613.

For iceweasel-uxp, I can build it correctly already, but not in pkgbuild form.

Anywho, that's all.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!
Also, say NO to Fascism and Corporatism as much as possible!

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Help desired for, fixing errors

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-07-06, 02:37

Hi Zapper, I can't remember - did you get my Pale Moon build on Hyperbola 0.4 to work on your Hyperbola 0.4.1 last time? If it worked, I can build the latest Pale Moon for you again. Or did you end up figuring out how to build it yourself against that tauthon2.8? I can't remember.

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2023-07-06, 17:55

andyprough wrote:
2023-07-06, 02:37
Hi Zapper, I can't remember - did you get my Pale Moon build on Hyperbola 0.4 to work on your Hyperbola 0.4.1 last time? If it worked, I can build the latest Pale Moon for you again. Or did you end up figuring out how to build it yourself against that tauthon2.8? I can't remember.
I was able to build it. As for iceweasel-uxp, g4jc helped fix it also.

I can build the executable tarball, but not the pkgbuild.

Icedove-uxp however I can do neither for.

Some issue with the library icu no longer existing or such. Anywho, that's about all I can say at this moment.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-07-07, 17:17

frostknight wrote:
2023-07-06, 17:55

I actually prefer the tarballs, much easier for me to handle once I've linked them, and linking them and copying icons into the correct locations only takes a few minutes. I stopped using the .deb packages or pkgbuild's awhile ago.

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2023-07-08, 01:47

andyprough wrote:
2023-07-07, 17:17
frostknight wrote:
2023-07-06, 17:55

I actually prefer the tarballs, much easier for me to handle once I've linked them, and linking them and copying icons into the correct locations only takes a few minutes. I stopped using the .deb packages or pkgbuild's awhile ago.
Hmm... tell me, is starting a web browser from your /home/user/ directory safer or is it safer to run from having it directly installed onto /usr/bin/webbrowser

Just curious...
Peace Be With us All!

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-07-08, 01:53

frostknight wrote:
2023-07-08, 01:47
Hmm... tell me, is starting a web browser from your /home/user/ directory safer or is it safer to run from having it directly installed onto /usr/bin/webbrowser

Just curious...
I've always just linked from my home directory to /usr/local/bin personally:

Code: Select all

doas ln -sf /home/andy/palemoon/palemoon /usr/local/bin/palemoon
I know I could link it to /home/andy/.local/bin/ as well if my path is set up right, but I like linking it to /usr/local/bin/ and being able to start the program from any user login.

You are probably always safer if the binary files can reside in your /home directory. Although there's differences of opinion on that. Some people like to put everything in /opt, but I've never gotten into doing that.

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2023-07-08, 17:15

andyprough wrote:
2023-07-08, 01:53
I know I could link it to /home/andy/.local/bin/ as well if my path is set up right, but I like linking it to /usr/local/bin/ and being able to start the program from any user login.

You are probably always safer if the binary files can reside in your /home directory. Although there's differences of opinion on that. Some people like to put everything in /opt, but I've never gotten into doing that.
Huh... never knew that.

Fascinating... well no worries then. Still can't get icedove-uxp built yet though.
Peace Be With us All!

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-07-08, 21:39

frostknight wrote:
2023-07-08, 17:15
Still can't get icedove-uxp built yet though.
What's icedove based on these days? You know there's a new Pale Moon-based email client called Epyrus, right? You should be using that, not some old icedove build, I'm thinking.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2023-07-08, 22:08

According to this, it is based on Thunderbird 52.

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2023-07-09, 00:54

ron_1 wrote:
2023-07-08, 22:08
According to this, it is based on Thunderbird 52.
Yes indeed...
andyprough wrote:
2023-07-08, 21:39
What's icedove based on these days? You know there's a new Pale Moon-based email client called Epyrus, right? You should be using that, not some old icedove build, I'm thinking.
I want the changes that Luke made to icedove-uxp before I will switch email clients to be honest. Aka, epyrus with those changes.
Peace Be With us All!

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-07-09, 04:15

frostknight wrote:
2023-07-09, 00:54
t want the changes that Luke made to icedove-uxp before I will switch email clients to be honest. Aka, epyrus with those changes.
Why isn't Luke maintaining it? Would you rather use something old and insecure just because Luke did it some years ago, or use something that's currently maintained?

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2023-07-10, 00:04

andyprough wrote:
2023-07-09, 04:15
frostknight wrote:
2023-07-09, 00:54
t want the changes that Luke made to icedove-uxp before I will switch email clients to be honest. Aka, epyrus with those changes.
Why isn't Luke maintaining it? Would you rather use something old and insecure just because Luke did it some years ago, or use something that's currently maintained?
He has time issues and also, HyperbolaBSD is coming in the future, so he may be wanting to see how that works out.

That's all.

Btw, insecure can happen in maintained too. Obfucsacated javascript was in the original thunderbird and also, I kind of wanted to remove those proprietary search engines.

Although, I do also like the iceweasel and icedove branding too. :P
Peace Be With us All!

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-07-12, 02:35

frostknight wrote:
2023-07-10, 00:04
He has time issues and also, HyperbolaBSD is coming in the future, so he may be wanting to see how that works out.
That's unfortunate. When you start a browser project or an email client, that's a commitment you are making to your users to keep it up to date as far as security fixes. He should be doing that, regardless of his other projects.

What's happening in Devuan-land? I haven't been over there in months. Did Head-on-a-Stick ever show back up again? I saw him on Distrowatch a few times recently.

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2023-08-06, 21:13

andyprough wrote:
2023-07-12, 02:35
frostknight wrote:
2023-07-10, 00:04
That's unfortunate. When you start a browser project or an email client, that's a commitment you are making to your users to keep it up to date as far as security fixes. He should be doing that, regardless of his other projects.

What's happening in Devuan-land? I haven't been over there in months. Did Head-on-a-Stick ever show back up again? I saw him on Distrowatch a few times recently.
Perhaps it is a commitment, but yeah, he is at least working on iceweasel.

As for devuan land, haven't been doing much there myself either. ;)
Peace Be With us All!

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-08-12, 20:25

frostknight wrote:
2023-07-06, 02:16
Mozilla is a copyrighted term. You may want to consider a different name.
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2023-08-12, 21:18

Off-topic:
Basilisk-Dev wrote:
2023-08-12, 20:25
Mozilla is a copyrighted term.
Surely you meant trademarked term, yes?

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-08-12, 22:08

BenFenner wrote:
2023-08-12, 21:18
Off-topic:
Surely you meant trademarked term, yes?
Off-topic:
Ah yeah, trademark is what I meant in this context. When I wrote that I was thinking of the branding for the Mozilla suite which would be copyrighted rather than the word "Mozilla" itself which is trademarked. Thanks for the correction.
Basilisk Project Owner

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2023-08-12, 22:32

Basilisk-Dev wrote:
2023-08-12, 20:25
frostknight wrote:
2023-07-06, 02:16
Mozilla is a copyrighted term. You may want to consider a different name.

I think you misunderstood, that's what you call the folder you put in the icedove-uxp folder.

Yes, mozilla is a copyrighted term. Don't ask me why though, but this is how I was told to do the guide.
Peace Be With us All!

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-08-13, 13:11

frostknight wrote:
2023-08-12, 22:32
I think you misunderstood, that's what you call the folder you put in the icedove-uxp folder.
I see what you mean now. I thought you were trying to rename the application itself to "mozilla". Apologies for the misunderstanding.
frostknight wrote:
2023-08-12, 22:32
Yes, mozilla is a copyrighted term. Don't ask me why though, but this is how I was told to do the guide.
In the past all UXP applications were like this, the UXP platform lived in the mozilla directory. That was changed to platform the platform directory later on for Basilisk and Pale Moon. I guess Icedove-UXP never added that change.
Basilisk Project Owner

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2023-08-14, 02:15

Basilisk-Dev wrote:
2023-08-13, 13:11
I see what you mean now. I thought you were trying to rename the application itself to "mozilla". Apologies for the misunderstanding.
No worries, it must have been confusing.
Basilisk-Dev wrote:
2023-08-13, 13:11
In the past all UXP applications were like this, the UXP platform lived in the mozilla directory. That was changed to platform the platform directory later on for Basilisk and Pale Moon. I guess Icedove-UXP never added that change.
Seems that way. Supposedly some stuff changed to make icedove-uxp not build properly like it used to.

I don't know all the details, but wondered if anyone knows how to make it work.

If not, I wait for Luke to be available again to debug this. No idea when though. ;)
Peace Be With us All!