Komodo IDE has been open-sourced

Discussions about applications built on our platform code that do not have a dedicated board.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Komodo IDE has been open-sourced

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2022-12-12, 11:45

Komodo IDE has been open-sourced: https://github.com/ActiveState/OpenKomodoIDE

Some context:
Wikipedia wrote:Komodo IDE uses the Mozilla and Scintilla code base, and supports many of the same features, languages and platforms, including the languages Python, Perl, PHP, Ruby, Tcl, SQL, Smarty, CSS, HTML and XML, and the operating systems Linux, OS X, and Windows. The editor component is implemented using the Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface (NPAPI), with the Scintilla view embedded in the XML User Interface Language (XUL) interface in the same manner as a web browser plugin.
It would be interesting to see if it can be modified to build with UXP instead.

RoestVrijStaal
Moon lover
Moon lover

Re: Komodo IDE has been open-sourced

Unread post by RoestVrijStaal » 2022-12-12, 19:38

Rather late than never?

The last commit 3e4e0f3840760414fbeb310fa5e0478f16e33283 before it got imported into GitHub dates from 7 May 2020. Be warned Pale Moon could nearly handle viewing the diff of the commit. Hence I won't link it here.

And I interpret its commit message "History reset, a decade+ worth of commits is impossible to properly audit" as "What value would be lost? Just import the unaudited codebase what was sitting somewhere on the business network share for years. YOLO".

I see the repository more as a collector's item and to get some inspiration about how they solved some algorithmic problems back in the ol' days. But not as a proper foundation to build on.
I think building an IDE from scratch with UXP as starting point is a better idea.