I'm working on a new E-mail client for UXP.

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

What should the E-mail client be named?

Poll ended at 2022-05-22, 09:55

Epyrus
62%
Centrapost
10%
Hermopolis Mail
26%
Raphemail
No votes
Hermopost
2%

Total votes: 42

jb_wisemo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: I'm working on a new E-mail client for UXP.

Unread post by jb_wisemo » 2022-05-18, 03:48

This project is great news, I had already started to migrate back to ThunderBird and trying to find current replacement for the old Extensions I used before Australis.

In particular, I couldn't find a new extension to control word wrap when reading mail (as opposed to writing). My other 2 installed extensions are "ThunderHTMLedit" and "Allow HTML Temp", plus of cause the calendar, which is no longer an extension. All these extensions had versions or equivalents before Australis, so finding a way to do this in a new UXP mail client would be nice.

P.S.

My biggest daily gripe with the now dead UXP mail program was that it would freeze the user interface every few minutes, probably to poll the IMAP servers or autosave drafts there. I hope this bug is specific to the way that client was forked from Mozilla code, and will not affect Hermes.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-05-18, 07:09

jb_wisemo wrote:
2022-05-18, 03:48
I hope [Hermes will not be affected by a bug that] would freeze the user interface every few minutes, probably to poll the IMAP servers or autosave drafts there.
I don't know whether that problem will come up or not, but if it does, I will attempt to figure out the cause and address it. My client seems to be working fine for me, but other people's milage may vary.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-05-22, 06:59

Well, it appears that the community has chosen Epyrus as the name of the e-mail client. :)

It's kind of neat because the original Hermopolis name does have a connection to Egypt as well as Greece. The ancient city that the Greeks called "Hermopolis" was actually an Egyptian city, and was never known by that name to the locals.

Any other suggestions about the application and what the theme should be/what it should look like are welcome, but I get the feeling that at this point what people really want is for me to hurry up and release something. LOL.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2022-05-22, 11:33

athenian200 wrote:
2022-05-22, 06:59
...I get the feeling that at this point what people really want is for me to hurry up and release something. LOL.
You could be right! Seriously though, I'm sure we're all extremely appreciative of your time and effort and it'll be ready when it's ready, so thank you :D
Pale Moon and Epyrus on Arch Linux.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2022-05-22, 11:59

By the number of votes, you have 42 "BETA" testers waiting to work out the bugs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-22, 12:04

billmcct wrote:
2022-05-22, 11:59
you have 42 "BETA" testers waiting to work out the bugs.
Well, 26 at least. The rest might cross their arms and pout that their name of choice wasn't used. ;-)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2022-05-22, 13:09

athenian200 wrote:
2022-05-22, 06:59
Any other suggestions about the application and what the theme should be/what it should look like ...
I can help in porting over Pale Moon's default theme so that we'll have the same look and feel for both applications and eliminate Australis. The only problem is it might take some time before I can do this as I don't have much free time because of things IRL.
Off-topic:
On the other hand, Moonscape already works out of the box with a few minor changes - but only a few people, like me, would want it as the default theme. :lol:

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-05-22, 14:09

FranklinDM wrote:
2022-05-22, 13:09
I can help in porting over Pale Moon's default theme so that we'll have the same look and feel for both applications and eliminate Australis. The only problem is it might take some time before I can do this as I don't have much free time because of things IRL.
That's actually what I was leaning towards. Specifically, I was going to look into having something similar to Pale Moon's AppMenu replace the hamburger menu on Windows, since I remember seeing a bug where Thunderbird almost incorporated something similar before settling on the hamburger menu. But what you're talking about would take that idea to its logical conclusion.
Off-topic:
On the other hand, Moonscape already works out of the box with a few minor changes - but only a few people, like me, would want it as the default theme. :lol:
Yeah, I tried Moonscape on there a few weeks ago and found it worked well. I doubt many people would want it as the default theme, but I definitely like having it available as an option. :)

Attronarch
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Attronarch » 2022-05-22, 18:30

I've been using "Classic TB2 1.5.1" + "Classic TB Options 1.5.1" for ages. I assume I'll be able to use them in this new client as well, even if they don't end up being the default theme.

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-05-22, 18:59

Attronarch wrote:
2022-05-22, 18:30
I've been using "Classic TB2 1.5.1" + "Classic TB Options 1.5.1" for ages. I assume I'll be able to use them in this new client as well, even if they don't end up being the default theme.
Classic TB2 1.5.1 installed and works on the git version of Hermopolis/Epyrus that I built for my own testing. I don't know where to find "Classic TB Options", if you leave a link I will test it for you.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2022-05-22, 19:05

I'd actually made compatible themes for mail for Australium, Photonic, Tangerinemoon and Tangomoon (even in the latest XPIs on the Add-ons Site). I don't currently have a build to hand, but I would imagine they'd work fine (possibly need to tweak with regards to where the tab bar is and respect "glass"/transparency on Windows, mind).

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-05-22, 19:26

Lootyhoof wrote:
2022-05-22, 19:05
I'd actually made compatible themes for mail for Australium, Photonic, Tangerinemoon and Tangomoon (even in the latest XPIs on the Add-ons Site). I don't currently have a build to hand, but I would imagine they'd work fine (possibly need to tweak with regards to where the tab bar is and respect "glass"/transparency on Windows, mind).
Those all work for me if I change the minimum version in install.rdf to 52.6.0. I was able to create them all from the src folder and install each of them. Australium is pretty nice looking.

Utnapishtim
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Utnapishtim » 2022-05-22, 21:09

Err why does it say I voted Epyrus? I think I voted for "Other" back when that was in the poll. I don't mind Epyrus, but I like Hermapolis better.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-05-22, 21:21

Utnapishtim wrote:
2022-05-22, 21:09
Err why does it say I voted Epyrus? I think I voted for "Other" back when that was in the poll. I don't mind Epyrus, but I like Hermapolis better.
I think it's not displaying your vote, it's just displaying the final tally. The poll ended today and it's no longer possible to vote.

All the votes from the first poll were reset when the new poll was started, so if you didn't vote again, I'm afraid it didn't count your vote. The problem was that the majority of votes were for "Other," and there was more than one "Other" option that was popular. Plus, I counted and there were more people voting "Other" than stating which name they preferred. So I started a new poll that included Hermopolis and Epyrus to see which was more popular, and didn't include an "Other" option this time.

It's interesting, Epyrus drew a fairly substantial amount of support from both the Hermopolis and Centrapost camps, which were the previous favorites.

Utnapishtim
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Utnapishtim » 2022-05-22, 21:23

Fair enough :)

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2022-05-23, 17:21

Hello from Berlin,

Please excuse me if I'm getting ahead of the game, but this effort looks promising to me. I wonder, though, if you're going to run into trouble with these folks: http://www.epyrus.com/bmsweb/index.asp

Anyway, I'm writing because I would like to replace what I'm now using with a "modern" email client and hope Epyrus will do the job.

This is my current client.

This is how it looks on my display (NEC PA272W @ 2560 x 1440)

And these are the theme and add-ons I'm using.

I've also got a modified userChrome.css

Code: Select all

/*
 * Edit this file and copy it as userChrome.css into your
 * profile-directory/chrome/
 */

/*
 * This file can be used to customize the look of Mozilla's user interface
 * You should consider using !important on rules which you want to
 * override default settings.
 */
/* Original Ver Global UI font
*{ font-size: 9.5pt !important;
  font-family: Verdana Bold !important;
}*/

/*Tahoma Global UI font in bold*/
*{ font-size: 9.5pt !important;
  font-family: Tahoma !important;
  font-weight: bold !important;
}
/*
 * Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct functioning
 */
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* set default namespace to XUL */

#threadTree > treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(unread) {
color: #0000DF !important;
}

#threadTree > treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(read) {
color: #000000 !important;
}

#threadTree > treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(selected, read) {
-moz-appearance: none !important;
color: #FFFFFF !important;
}

/*  Ff & Tb - list box alternating row bg colors  */

/* ========== info start ========== */

/*

- sets background colors for alternating rows in tree-based list boxes

*/

/* ========== info end ========== */

/* ========== code start ========== */

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

treechildren::-moz-tree-row(even),

treechildren:hover::-moz-tree-row(even) {

background-color: #E1EAE8 !important;

}

treechildren::-moz-tree-row(selected),

treechildren:hover::-moz-tree-row(selected) {

background-color: -moz-Dialog !important;

}

treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(selected),

treechildren:hover::-moz-tree-cell-text(selected) {

color: -moz-DialogText !important;

}

treechildren::-moz-tree-row(selected, focus),

treechildren:hover::-moz-tree-row(selected, focus) {

background-color: Highlight !important;

}

treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text(selected, focus),

treechildren:hover::-moz-tree-cell-text(selected, focus) {

color: HighlightText !important;

}

/*  ========== code end ========== */

#MailPreferences {width: 84ex !important; height: 37em !important;}
#accountManager {width: 88ex !important; height: 64em !important;}
/* Insert HTML */ textbox#srcInput[multiline=true] {min-width: 100ex !important;}

*/

/* Avoid annoyingly long lines */
body {
    max-width: 50em;
}

pre {
    max-width: 50em;
    white-space: pre-wrap;       /* CSS 3 */
}
/*
Any feedback will be appreciated.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-05-23, 17:42

JoeyG wrote:
2022-05-23, 17:21
Hello from Berlin,

Please excuse me if I'm getting ahead of the game, but this effort looks promising to me. I wonder, though, if you're going to run into trouble with these folks: http://www.epyrus.com/bmsweb/index.asp
Yeah, I am aware of them. The thing is that they only operate in Korea. I checked and they don't have trademarks registered in any other region, and they don't seem to do business in any other languages or regions either. So as far as I can tell, as long as I don't enter the Korean market and they don't enter any other markets I should be okay? Unless International copyright agreements have changed the game so much that no matter where a company is or where they operate, they can shut me down for using a similar name. I know the EU has a unified copyright scheme so that all EU members are counted as part of one framework, but I think that's not the case internationally.
This is my current client.
Any feedback will be appreciated.
Is that Windows XP or is that just a theme/skin for a newer version of Windows? If that's actually XP, I'm afraid that could be an issue.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-23, 17:53

athenian200 wrote:
2022-05-23, 17:42
s long as I don't enter the Korean market and they don't enter any other markets I should be okay? Unless International copyright agreements have changed the game so much that no matter where a company is or where they operate, they can shut me down for using a similar name.
I think you should even be fine in the Korean market as they aren't in the same functional area. Also, it's not copyright (you're not using their assets) but would rather be a trademark issue, instead, which is explicit that it should be in the same field/same purpose. E.g. Pale Moon is also a beer, a song, and a film, but there's no conflict with the browser.
I think copyrighting a name is very hard since it's not a creative work. A wordmark can be copyrighted (because it is a specific creative representation) but a name in and of itself would be a very hard sell in copyright litigation. I don't think there's sufficient overlap between epyrus.com and their mobile reader software and your (desktop) mail client to be much of a concern since there would be no possible confusion.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2022-05-23, 17:58

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I'm glad there doesn't seem to be a copyright or trademark issue.

My OS is a fully updated (incl. May 2022 updates) version of Win 7 Pro SP-1 x 64.

Again, thank you for your reply.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2022-05-23, 20:50

Moonchild wrote:
2022-05-23, 17:53
E.g. Pale Moon is also a beer,
As my avatar shows and I did drink for years before they stopped selling it in the state of Georgia.
JoeyG wrote:
2022-05-23, 17:58
My OS is a fully updated (incl. May 2022 updates) version of Win 7 Pro SP-1 x 64.
Off-topic:
As is my Win 7.
Last edited by athenian200 on 2022-05-24, 04:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Keeping thread on topic.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda