I'm working on a new E-mail client for UXP.

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

What should the E-mail client be named?

Poll ended at 2022-05-22, 09:55

Epyrus
62%
Centrapost
10%
Hermopolis Mail
26%
Raphemail
No votes
Hermopost
2%

Total votes: 42

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: I'm working on a new E-mail client for UXP.

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2022-05-16, 00:04

All of us liking the original Hermopolis should click "Other" in the poll. As of me typing this, only two people have done so and one of 'em is yours truly.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

ag0044
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by ag0044 » 2022-05-16, 03:31

[Half tongue in cheek, half serious]
distantpluto wrote:
2022-05-15, 12:51
... please call it whatever you like.
I'm with distantpluto, call it "Whatever you like". Or, "Whatever".
Usually, I'm wrong. But, sometimes, I'm right.
Usually, I'm Left. But, sometimes, I'm Right.
Usually, I'm left-handed. But, sometimes, I'm right-handed.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-16, 07:01

"Whatever" could be the unofficial branding option ;-D
(swapped to "Other" as well for Hermopolis vote)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-05-16, 07:58

I'm rather surprised by the outpouring of support for Hermopolis. I wonder if it's because people actually prefer the name, or because they feel a moral obligation to oppose artistic censorship? Either way, I will respect the results of the poll. :) I guess I should explain the options and how I came up with them, though.

I assumed Centrapost would win when I made the poll. The reason is because it's unique, inoffensive, legal, but also has a catchy and marketable vibe. Designed primarily with popular appeal in mind, unlike the other options. Hermopolis, by contrast, was intended to be more of a codename that I didn't expect many people to like.

The Raphael option was actually intended as an outlet for fans of the original Hermopolis and associated symbolism, because it can be interpreted at least two different ways. One is as a reference to a Renaissance artist who created a fresco called "The School of Athens," which I am a fan of. The other way is a reference to Saint Raphael, patron saint of travelers. I was kinda surprised it wound up being the second most popular option before the talk about liking the original name started up.

Settlement was meant to capture both the idea of creating a new settlement on a frontier, but also of parties coming to an agreement after a dispute.

Concordance was more about trying to evoke the Unity idea, but since Unity is a technology company, I couldn't use that directly.

Finally, Sumphoneo is for people that like the idea of using an ancient Greek word for the name, and this one is about people speaking together with one voice in harmony and agreeing. In fact, it's the origin of "symphony" in English.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

smithy
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by smithy » 2022-05-16, 08:17

On the ancient theme, Papyrus would also fit the bill.
Its a paper or writing pad.. albeit Egyptian, not Greek
It is common to think of our own time as standing at the apex of civilisation from which the deficiencies of preceding ages may patronisingly be viewed in the light of what is assumed to be progress. The reality is that in the long perspective of history the present century will not hold an enviable position unless the second half is to redeem its first.

Chief US prosecutor Robert Jackson's closing statement - Nurenburg 1946

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-16, 08:29

smithy wrote:
2022-05-16, 08:17
That's a really, really good suggestion, IMHO. Very easy to remember too.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-05-16, 08:36

smithy wrote:
2022-05-16, 08:17
Oh, I definitely like the suggestion. I actually considered calling it that, but...

https://www.isis-papyrus.com/

There's a company called Papyrus Software. Most of the best names I could come up with were taken, honestly.

EDIT: Though... Papyramail doesn't seem to be taken. So that would be the kind of thing you'd have to do to use a suggestion like that... use the first part of it to evoke the idea, and then randomly cut the word somewhere and insert another word to make it different.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2022-05-16, 09:27

My only issue with calling it Hermopolis is it isn't clear what the software is for by the name. Simple solution is to call it Hermopolis Mail. I don't think it makes sense to exclude that option merely because one person expressed a dislike of anything associated with paganism. That is just a preference like people liking one name and not another. If the "other" option wins, how will it be decided what to call it?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-16, 09:34

You can always make other variations on papyrus. How about Epyrus (e-pyrus, from e-mail and papyrus?) it's even close to "Epirus" which is an ancient Grecan region :)

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2022-05-16, 09:44

Also voted 'Other' for Hermopolis / Hermopolis Mail.

puppyX
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by puppyX » 2022-05-16, 10:05

I vote for Hermopolis - Other (Hermopolis Mail looks good)

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-05-16, 11:36

Cassette wrote:
2022-05-16, 09:27
If the "other" option wins, how will it be decided what to call it?
Well, the truth is, I never planned for that option to win. I was thinking it would just be something people used to make a handful of other suggestions, with people perhaps coalescing around one of them enough for me to choose it. But it seems like in this case, people are using it to express very strong opinions about the project's original codename not being on the list.

At this rate, I'm guessing I will likely just interpret votes for "Other" as votes for Hermopolis, unless explicitly stated otherwise. I kinda regret not including it in the poll, since that does complicate things for anyone who legitimately wants to back a new suggestion, but that seems like a reasonable approach. If other suggestions besides Hermopolis like Papyramail and Epyrus also get more support than the options on the list, I may just conclude that my list kinda sucked except for Centrapost and have a run-off between all the most popular options (including Hermopolis this time, of course).

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2022-05-16, 11:56

Moonchild wrote:
2022-05-16, 09:34
You can always make other variations on papyrus. How about Epyrus (e-pyrus, from e-mail and papyrus?)
Yes, I like this. Not too many syllables. And not just the name - it could also be the basis for a distinctive logo.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2022-05-16, 14:21

ag0044 wrote:
2022-05-16, 03:31
[Half tongue in cheek, half serious]
distantpluto wrote:
2022-05-15, 12:51
... please call it whatever you like.
I'm with distantpluto, call it "Whatever you like". Or, "Whatever".
Well I've joined the "other" camp now! Epyrus or Hermopolis (Mail) is fine by me (I favour Epyrus though).

And kudos to mintoyatsu for the icons :thumbup:
Pale Moon and Epyrus on Arch Linux.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2022-05-16, 14:21

I was for Centrapost at first, but I like Moonchild's "Epyrus" better. :thumbup:

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-05-16, 14:55

It's really looking like Epyrus and Hermopolis are gaining momentum, which means the two most popular options other than Centrapost are not in the poll. Looks like there will be a run-off with the top candidates. This definitely didn't go how I expected, but I am fascinated to see this turn of events. :)

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2022-05-16, 17:03

I wasn't inclined to reply, as I'm not a likely user of such a client specially if I do not know the features (I'm a happy user of Eduardo Chappa's Alpine, which is a terminal-oriented mail client, which has many features I could not find in thunderbird ... which I'm assisting a disabled friend to use ... he might be a candidate user if there is support for the Italian language). My main comment on the original name list was that, other than "Centrapost" the other names weren't understandable as e-mail related (and frankly they weren't that nice too). Also the relationships between e-mail and "Hermopolis" isn't clear to me, but that is a nice classically-sounding name.

BTW We have the cartoon of the School of Athens here at Pinacoteca Ambrosiana in Milan, and a little piece of it (is it Euclid th one drawing on the floor ?) is in the logo of Milan Polytechnics https://www.polimi.it/en/the-politecnic ... s-history/ :D
Last edited by Lucio Chiappetti on 2022-05-16, 17:09, edited 2 times in total.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2022-05-16, 17:07

I went back and changed my vote to "Other". I really like Epyrus.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-05-16, 18:37

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:
2022-05-16, 17:03
if there is support for the Italian language).
Well, I do know Latin, and I am a little bit familiar with Spanish, but as far as modern Italian, I haven't had much exposure to the language. I'd be willing to make sure any existing langpacks work as well as possible, though. My lack of knowledge of modern Italian would likely only be an issue if a lot of new strings were needed due to major UI changes, and I don't expect that to come up very much. Might have to ask for a little help if new translations are needed though.
My main comment on the original name list was that, other than "Centrapost" the other names weren't understandable as e-mail related (and frankly they weren't that nice too). Also the relationships between e-mail and "Hermopolis" isn't clear to me, but that is a nice classically-sounding name.
That is a really good point and seems to explain the results fairly well, actually.
BTW We have the cartoon of the School of Athens here at Pinacoteca Ambrosiana in Milan, and a little piece of it (is it Euclid th one drawing on the floor ?) is in the logo of Milan Polytechnics https://www.polimi.it/en/the-politecnic ... s-history/ :D
That is really neat! :) Apparently there are still some fascinating connections to the Renaissance and classical antiquity in modern Italy.

Marcus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Marcus » 2022-05-16, 20:07

I voted "other" for Epyrus.