I'm working on a new E-mail client for UXP.

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

What should the E-mail client be named?

Poll ended at 2022-05-22, 09:55

Epyrus
62%
Centrapost
10%
Hermopolis Mail
26%
Raphemail
No votes
Hermopost
2%

Total votes: 42

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Re: I'm working on a new E-mail client for UXP.

Unread post by JoeyG » 2022-05-24, 09:26

@billmcct

Do you think there's any hope that Epyrus will accommodate the many modifications to my Thunderbird?

Thank you.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2022-05-24, 10:20

Hey, I think @athenian200 could better answer that question. That said, since it's 05:15 am here and my brain hasn't really started to function yet, all I can tell you is the application is based on UXP code so I would assume so.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-24, 11:49

billmcct wrote:
2022-05-24, 10:20
Hey, I think @athenian200 could better answer that question. That said, since it's 05:15 am here and my brain hasn't really started to function yet, all I can tell you is the application is based on UXP code so I would assume so.
No guarantees though since the thunderbird in use is a 2.0 (pre?-)release. I don't even know how old that is but it predates Pale Moon (the entire project).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2022-05-24, 12:54

billmcct wrote:
2022-05-24, 10:20
Yes, of course. Sorry, it was my mistake.
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2022-05-24, 13:09

Moonchild wrote:
2022-05-24, 11:49
... I don't even know how old that is but it predates Pale Moon (the entire project).
The date is 20100507. Just a tad over twelve years! :o :wtf:

As for "pre", for some reason, 2.0.0.25 never saw the light of day. The last "good" version was 2.0.0.24; I have no idea how it differs from 2.0.0.25pre.

All I can say is that 2.0.0.25pre has been working fine for me since the day it was born.

Updating to the latest version presents no technical issue: I went directly from 2.0.0.25pre to (I guess it was) TB v.90 on my wife's machine and have been updating regularly ever since.

If I remember correctly, TB 3 killed a couple of my UI add-ons and used some colors I didn't like, so my tenacity in holding on to 2.0.0.25pre is really only cosmetically based.
Off-topic:
As I guess people on the forum have noticed, I like to contribute when I can, but it's important not to take a lot of what I write too seriously.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2022-05-24, 13:12

@athenian200

Do you think there's any hope that Epyrus will accommodate the many modifications to my Thunderbird?

Thank you.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2022-05-24, 13:38

Please don't spam this thread with repeated Thunderbird v2 questions. You will find out yourself when Epyrus is released.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2022-05-24, 14:02

back2themoon wrote:
2022-05-24, 13:38
Please don't spam this thread with repeated Thunderbird v2 questions. You will find out yourself when Epyrus is released.
Please excuse me, but there was only one question addressed to two people.

Furthermore, if I can get an answer, I will be able to save myself the time and effort of fooling around with Epyrus if and when it comes out.

In any case, thank you for your input. I really don't mind being chastised, even when I have a different view of of the issue.

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-05-24, 14:22

JoeyG wrote:
2022-05-24, 13:12
For what it's worth, I found a few of your older versions of the add-ons and your theme on the Thunderbird add-ons site, and they installed OK on my git build of Epyrus: BiDi Mail, Email Address Crawler, FlatStyle, MR Tech Toolkit, Quick Locale Switcher, Quote Colors, and the Outlook 2003 GreenTB theme.

I don't know what your add-ons do, so I can only say they installed without obvious errors. For each of them I unpacked the old archive, changed the install.rdf to target a max Thunderbird version of 52.6.0, and repacked and dragged into the Epyrus add-ons manager to install. I don't know where to find your other add-ons to test them.

The layout you are using is called the "Wide View", and is available with this build of Epyrus. I did not try your modified userChrome.css.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-05-24, 14:57

JoeyG wrote:
2022-05-24, 14:02
Furthermore, if I can get an answer, I will be able to save myself the time and effort of fooling around with Epyrus if and when it comes out.
I don't use extensions heavily myself, so I really don't know one way or the other, if I'm being honest. I think Andy's assessment is correct, and that the extensions should work in theory. The best way to find out right now would be to build it yourself, because I am not quite ready to distribute binaries. I think that distributing binaries may legally set a bunch things in motion that place a lot of responsibility on me to have all my ducks in a row, as far as having all the Mozilla URLs removed and some kind of placeholder branding setup.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

noobsoftware
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by noobsoftware » 2022-05-24, 15:52

Is there any chance you could document some aspects of starting a new UXP application. It is my understanding that this is fresh code, it would be really nice to know how to, for example, start a XUL window as the main window of the application. If you have any time to do that i would be very greatful, and probably others as well.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2022-05-24, 16:20

@andyprough and @athenian200

Thank you for your replies.

@athenian200
I have time (whatever God allows me - I'm 75 years old), the willingness to learn, reasonable intelligence, relatively good computers with - I guess - adequate storage, but I don't have the faintest idea how to build the binary.

I've looked at this page:
https://developer.palemoon.org/build/windows/

Although, as the saying goes (no cultural appropriation intended), it's not exactly Greek to me ;), I have no idea of even where to begin to look for an analogous document in regard to Epyrus. Is there one?

Thank you both again.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-05-24, 17:43

JoeyG wrote:
2022-05-24, 16:20
I've looked at this page:
https://developer.palemoon.org/build/windows/

Although, as the saying goes (no cultural appropriation intended), it's not exactly Greek to me ;), I have no idea of even where to begin to look for an analogous document in regard to Epyrus. Is there one?
You're looking in the right place, but there's not really any proper documentation beyond what I previously posted in this thread. It is essentially the same build process as Pale Moon, but you have to download a different repo and use a slightly modified .mozconfig. You can basically follow those instructions up until you get to the point where you have to run a git clone command.

Replace the git clone command with this:

Code: Select all

git clone https://repo.palemoon.org/athenian200/hermopolis.git ./
And then you can follow the directions again up until the point where it tells you to use a .mozconfig. Instead of using the provided .mozconfig, use this one:

viewtopic.php?p=227901#p227901
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2022-05-24, 18:26

@ athenian200

I've just sent you an email via the relevant board function. :problem:

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2022-05-24, 19:14

andyprough wrote:
2022-05-24, 14:22
I unpacked the old archive, changed the install.rdf to target a max Thunderbird version of 52.6.0, and repacked
You can use 7zip to open files in the XPI for editing w/o unzipping. Just save in the external editor and 7zip recognizes the change and asks if you want to update the file.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by htuyar » 2022-05-24, 19:28

I've managed a successful build on Linux. One thing that I did not see anywhere in the documentation is that after cloning the repo, you have to run "git submodule init" and "git submodule update". Otherwise you get an error about the platform submodule. At least that's what happened in my case.

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-05-24, 19:43

htuyar wrote:
2022-05-24, 19:28
I've managed a successful build on Linux. One thing that I did not see anywhere in the documentation is that after cloning the repo, you have to run "git submodule init" and "git submodule update". Otherwise you get an error about the platform submodule. At least that's what happened in my case.
Yes, it's the same git instructions as on the Pale Moon Linux build page, with the only difference putting in the git repo for athenian200: http://developer.palemoon.org/build/linux/

Code: Select all

git clone https://repo.palemoon.org/athenian200/hermopolis.git ./
git submodule init && git submodule update
git checkout release && git submodule update
If I recall correctly, the "git checkout release" command may tell you that there's no release yet. Otherwise it works.

htuyar
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by htuyar » 2022-05-24, 19:46

Oh, right. My concentration problems again, sorry :(

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-24, 22:58

You should also keep in mind that as far as a mail client is concerned, there's not as big of an issue dealing with older versions and not rushing to update. Athenian can take his time to release it when it's ready.

The main issue with browser updates is the fact that websites use scripting and other active content. Mail does not.
Having passive content in e-mails only make it a lot safer to deal with. However, I do think using a 12 year not updated client is pushing that envelope considerably too far beyond reason that puts you at risk of severe exploits through known and published vulnerabilities.

I mean to say: there's no rush and should be no immediate pressure to have Epyrus released if you're currently using Interlink or Thunderbird (or even FossaMail, although that's getting rather dubious too). It can be done "when it's done".
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-05-24, 23:53

Well, I've gotten as far as removing/overriding all the Mozilla URLs I can via preferences, and blanking out the Earlybird branding with blank white backgrounds, while also tossing in some of the replacement .ico files someone gave me earlier in the thread since I don't have any kind of graphical application that can deal with those.

Honestly, the only thing keeping me from creating an alpha/beta release to get feedback on it is not knowing exactly what I have to do to get it in a state where I wouldn't have to worry about any kind of legal liability for using Mozilla's services or leaving some part of their branding/trademarks intact, etc. I think I am pretty close at this point to having it de-branded enough that no one could object to me releasing software based on the code that is left.