I'm working on a new E-mail client for UXP.

Board for discussions around the Epyrus mail and news client.

Moderator: athenian200

What should the E-mail client be named?

Poll ended at 2022-05-22, 09:55

Epyrus
62%
Centrapost
10%
Hermopolis Mail
26%
Raphemail
No votes
Hermopost
2%

Total votes: 42

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: I'm working on a new E-mail client for UXP.

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-06-02, 13:27

distantpluto wrote:
2022-06-02, 13:24
I wouldn't worry unnecessarily with this particular issue as I suspect it could be a combination of moving my mailboxes "as-is", manually sorting folders to match how I had them set up previously and setting a up "global inbox". Just a hunch but it's not something anyone else is troubled by currently or has been historically (I searched extensively), so unique to me (hopefully).
Yeah, I'm not going to worry too much about it, because there is another issue that has my attention right now anyway, but I do want to let you know that I appreciate you reporting it and definitely take it seriously. :)
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2022-06-03, 16:16

Hey athenian200: Quick question about Epyrus on Linux: Where is the default profile stored? Is it in .thunderbird still, or did you create your own folder for the new program?

Scratch that, I found it in home/.athenian200/epyrus.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-06-03, 17:42

Baloo wrote:
2022-06-03, 16:16
Scratch that, I found it in home/.athenian200/epyrus.
Yeah, that's the right location. I basically did the same thing Ascrod did with Ambassador, since he didn't really have an organization to use for that project either. I'm just entering my own user name since I'm not comfortable creating a whole organization, etc.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2022-06-06, 14:10

@athenian200 - Is Epyrus a straight fork of TB 52.6.0 ?

If so, why that version and not 52.9, the last before v60, which fixed the EFAIL security issue? Just curious :)
Pale Moon and Epyrus on Arch Linux.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-06-06, 15:50

distantpluto wrote:
2022-06-06, 14:10
If so, why that version and not 52.9, the last before v60, which fixed the EFAIL security issue? Just curious :)
Mostly because that would be the same fork point as UXP. itself. Also, most of the security-sensitive stuff is maintained in the UXP platform itself. Notice the MailNews, LDAP, and other folders that contain serious code other than just application side code are all on the UXP side. I investigated, and I found the security fix you are talking about was applied to platform code long ago, because all the related fixes touch the "mailnews" folder. In other words, my client was never vulnerable, because I've set this up to use UXP's platform version of the MailNews/LDAP code rather than the version that comes in the 52.x tarball. Therefore we have most/all of the security fixes ever done for IceDove-UXP or that other mail client.

If the mail clients were more self-contained and didn't share platform code for their security fixes, I either would have had to fork an existing codebase like IceDove-UXP, or at least fork the last version of TB 52.x and spend considerable time on security fixes like you suggest. It's partly because I didn't want the perfectly good MailNews code in our platform to go to waste (in fact, I had to touch MailNews previously because I was planning to port a UXP-based mail client to SunOS) or become totally unmaintained that I decided we needed a new e-mail client.

P.S. If you want to discuss a security vulnerablity, please PM me about that... if this had been active, it could have been bad for word to get out this way.

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2022-06-06, 17:11

athenian200 wrote:
2022-06-06, 15:50
P.S. If you want to discuss a security vulnerablity, please PM me about that... if this had been active, it could have been bad for word to get out this way.
Ok, no problem, I'll bear that in mind :thumbup:

I was really just curious why 52.6 and not 52.9 though, I only came across that TB info by chance when looking up chrome UI editing! Thanks for the explanation, I find this stuff very interesting.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-06-06, 19:57

So, I have the branding all setup now, and it looks really nice. It also looks really nice on the installer, but I haven't worked out what it would take to make sure everything is done properly with an installer EXE yet, since there might be some kind of executable signing needed for that which I haven't configured properly.

I still need to figure out new wording and remove some of those links, since right now they are just leading to nothing or make less sense when I insert my name in place of Mozilla's. Like referring to myself individually as a global community sounds a bit wrong, LOL. I wonder if it would be fine to say something like, "designed by athenian200 in collaboration with members of the Pale Moon forum community," or something, since you guys have contributed a lot of ideas to the project. Actually, it might even be better to say "programmed by athenian200 and designed by the Pale Moon forum community," because I really haven't made many decisions about the design. Though naming Pale Moon even to mention the forum could potentially be seen as misleading, so maybe I would have to list out everyone who contributed individually... hmm.

The only unilateral design-related decisions I made were the font for the Epyrus logo, and also the decision to keep the Account Wizard but disable the Provisioner, since it just seemed like the most common sense approach to take when removing Mozilla's stuff. I should also note that I consider discussion of the branding design closed, especially with regards to the actual image. No further feedback on that will be accepted, though you are free to comment on the wording used in the about box and such, correct grammar errors, etc.
Attachments
2022-06-06.png

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-06-06, 20:41

Wow, that looks fantastic!

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2022-06-07, 01:07

athenian200 wrote:
2022-06-06, 19:57
So, I have the branding all setup now, and it looks really nice...
This posting is just an "end run" related to the locking of the "contest" thread.

I'm fine with everything athenian200 commented in regard to my suggestions and am very much looking forward to the first Epyrus beta.

athenian200 has obviously invested a ton of effort and is to be thanked and congratulated.:thumbup:
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-06-07, 01:15

JoeyG wrote:
2022-06-07, 01:07
I'm fine with everything athenian200 commented in regard to my suggestions and am very much looking forward to the first Epyrus beta.
I'm glad to hear that. :)

The good news is that we are one step closer to having the beta checklist done with the branding sorted out, and I am expecting to have a better theme to replace Australis fairly soon.

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2022-06-07, 01:23

Did Tobin make his GUI code closed source? I believe it was pretty similar to FossaMail. It was nice. Australis is pretty fat with rounded tabs if I recall correctly.
I probably shouldn't say anything since I'm using SeaMonkey which is quite ugly, but somehow ugly became my new normal...

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2022-06-07, 01:25

athenian200 wrote:
2022-06-07, 01:15
JoeyG wrote:
2022-06-07, 01:07
I'm glad to hear that. :)

The good news is that we are one step closer to having the beta checklist done with the branding sorted out, and I am expecting to have a better theme to replace Australis fairly soon.
Keep up the great work! :clap:
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-06-07, 01:32

mr tribute wrote:
2022-06-07, 01:23
Did Tobin make his GUI code closed source?
No, but I would still rather not use it. If I'm going to go to the trouble of creating an e-mail client, I don't want it to just be an Interlink clone. I would ask you to please respect that. In fact, I would really prefer to keep the comparisons between this and Interlink to a minimum, and not to see so many suggestions that I make the client "more like Interlink." If I'm being honest, part of why I'm even working on this is just so that when I open an e-mail client to check my e-mail, I won't be reminded of... all that. Using that GUI would make it harder for me, emotionally.

It's sort of bizarre, but in a weird way working on this has been sort of like a form of therapy for me. It's helping me move on. For the most part it has been a pretty good experience, despite some ups and downs.

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2022-06-07, 03:17

It's good you are creating your own application after having "slaved" in the background for a long time. I think it will be great. I like the Pale Moon UI and I think the Pale Moon UI served as a guide for Moonchild when he created FossaMail, but I could be wrong about that. The Pale Moon UI is my personal preference and reference. That's all I can say regarding aesthetics. The slightly older Preferences UI used by SeaMonkey is also OK.

It will take some time to get all the pieces to fit nicely, but after that UXP updates should be the only thing needed to keep the application up to date. And worst case scenario if UXP "fails" it will probably take a long time before anyone notices in an email client. So congratulations for setting yourself up for a potentially long lasting project. And most importantly - a meaningful/useful project. Seems like a lot of people are eager to try/use it.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-06-07, 03:21

mr tribute wrote:
2022-06-07, 03:17
It's good you are creating your own application after having "slaved" in the background for a long time. I think it will be great. I like the Pale Moon UI and I think the Pale Moon UI served as a guide for Moonchild when he created FossaMail, but I could be wrong about that. The Pale Moon UI is my personal preference and reference.
Yeah, actually that was the plan I had in mind. FranklinDM offered to port Pale Moon's default theme over to Epyrus a while back (earlier in this thread), but also said he was short of time. I'm actually planning to go with that if it turns out well, and doing some other stuff in the mean time. :)

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2022-06-07, 09:11

athenian200 wrote:
2022-06-07, 01:32
It's sort of bizarre, but in a weird way working on this has been sort of like a form of therapy for me. It's helping me move on. For the most part it has been a pretty good experience, despite some ups and downs.
You should have a massive sense of achievement, it's shaping up beautifully. I'm delighted with Epyrus - thank you.

If the styling was similar to Pale Moon's then this would be ideal, personally, for consistency, as PM and Epyrus are two of my most essential applications! Apart from some gaming or music production in my DAW then they're always open or minimised to the tray ready for action. That's a minor point though, ultimately you need to be happy first and foremost. Now I must stop tweaking the UI and wait until it's finalised :D

p.s. I'd be happy to donate if that's something you're open to.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-06-07, 11:27

distantpluto wrote:
2022-06-07, 09:11
p.s. I'd be happy to donate if that's something you're open to.
I appreciate the offer, but there were not any upfront costs to me in creating this other than time. The only thing that really could have turned into a big expense was commissioning an artist for the branding, which isn't necessary now thanks to Moonchild.

Likestofish
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Likestofish » 2022-06-07, 20:39

There are quite a few people here who wil be very grateful for a Mail Client that they will be comfortable with and can trust. Your work is very much appreciated. Thank-you.

wickedsp1d3r
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by wickedsp1d3r » 2022-06-10, 16:47

After adding a network calendar (CalDAV), the application crashes and "Segmentation fault" is printed to command line.
I am using Linux version with a clean profile.

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2022-06-10, 17:09

wickedsp1d3r wrote:
2022-06-10, 16:47
After adding a network calendar (CalDAV), the application crashes and "Segmentation fault" is printed to command line.
I am using Linux version with a clean profile.
I'm using a couple of network CalDAV calendars, using radicale 3.1.7 on my home server and have not had any issue.

Maybe someone has some troubleshooting suggestions and then we could compare setups.