White Star 29.1.1

Discussions about applications built on our platform code that do not have a dedicated board.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

White Star 29.1.1

Unread post by dbsoft » 2021-03-31, 20:35

Download SHA256: 8bcb8693cf463db7a2a598b70dfadd4a0d78d324fe7d4bc295d1432c00601d64
Release Notes
Source

First of my rebranded MacOS ports... they will be available from the DBSoft web site.

Enjoy!
Brian
Last edited by dbsoft on 2021-03-31, 22:22, edited 2 times in total.

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: White Star 29.1.1

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2021-03-31, 21:19

Will I be able to maintain my session from "Pale Moon" if I upgrade to "White Star"? Or is the session folder the same?

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2021-03-31, 21:21

Everything is the same except for the branding and built-in URLs.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-31, 21:38

Since you're splitting off, I'd like to ask you to take the announcements and necessary support for your fork in your own hands/on your own server, to prevent any confusion there might be by having White Star on the Pale Moon forum. Please make sure your users understand that they can't ask for support here.

I'll also archive the Mac board soon, so make sure people are properly informed who use your fork.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2021-03-31, 21:41

Yes of course, I'll redirect them to a new support location from my web page... and a post here if you allow once I have it setup.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-31, 21:47

Just make sure people understand where to go. Installing a forum yourself shouldn't take much time or if needed you can just tell people to be patient while you set things up.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-03-31, 21:52

I see no reason to facilitate your bullshit. You can only obey the MPL if you have your own source, application and platform both, to be available according to section 3.2. Linking to Pale Moon and only us is not sufficient.

I demand the Covered Source Code Form you used to create this Executable Form. You must comply or I will judge you non-complient with the Mozilla Public License and your rights to use any contribution made by my self will terminate at the very least.

You are ordered to satisfy my request within the reasonable period of 7 days.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2021-03-31, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-31, 21:57

Tobin makes a good point. You cannot just link to us, you have to supply the source code used to your users per the applicable source code license.

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2021-03-31, 21:58

There were no changes required to build 29.1.1... there will be for the next version based on the changes to master. I will release code when I make changes to it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-31, 22:00

dbsoft wrote:
2021-03-31, 21:58
There were no changes required to build 29.1.1
really?
dbsoft wrote:
2021-03-31, 21:21
Everything is the same except for the branding and built-in URLs.
This means there were changes.

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2021-03-31, 22:03

"git diff" in Pale-Moon and UXP shows nothing... so it is unmodified... if you insist I'll happily tar up the tree and send it to you... but not sure what the point is.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-03-31, 22:03

dbsoft wrote:
2021-03-31, 21:58
There were no changes required to build 29.1.1... there will be for the next version based on the changes to master. I will release code when I make changes to it.
Insufficient. You released an Executable Form. Satisfy Section 3.2 and make the Source Code Form available per Section 3.1. Failure to comply means Termination under Section 5.1.

Respond.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-31, 22:10

dbsoft wrote:
2021-03-31, 22:03
"git diff" in Pale-Moon and UXP shows nothing... so it is unmodified...
If that was the case then your binary would not be called White Star and you would have unmodified "built-in URLs" (whichever ones you mean with that; I'm assuming the necessary changes to no longer use our infra which you have no permission for since nobody asked).

So please stay within the bounds of the license and supply source code. At the very least you need to supply the source code for your application - if UXP as a platform is used verbatim from a release snapshot then you can provide a copy of that, but otherwise you must supply the source code form of what you released a binary executable form of.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-03-31, 22:12

Sorry Moonchild but the MPL stipulates all covered code used in an Executable Form. He is compelled to provide UXP as well.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-31, 22:17

it can be "made available" by having a snapshot elsewhere but yeah, it's not sufficient to rely on external sources, you're right.

Either way, no need making a point about a few hundred MB of disk space on a server, Nuke. Just provide the source of what you used to build.

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2021-03-31, 22:24

Not sure that is really how it works for unmodified source builds, but out of an abundance of caution I have tarred it up and put it on my server... added a link to the source on my web page and updated the link in this post to be the source on my site.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin » 2021-04-01, 08:15

dbsoft wrote:
2021-03-31, 22:24
Not sure that is really how it works for unmodified source builds
Not sure what this inch-thick board is in front of your head. If your application uses different internal URLs and different branding then it is clearly not "unmodified". if it was truly unmodified it would not spit out a binary that is different from what we build here.
Either way that argument will be moot immediately with the next major release as work has started removing Mac code from trunk, according to the repository.

So, in other words, you jumped the gun and weren't ready for publishing this. You had no support channel, no documentation and no source code available for your binaries. All things you should have fixed before making your announcement here.

Note: this thread will be moved to UXP Applications for information while the Mac board is archived.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2021-04-02, 06:32

The false outrage here is kind of comical. This is an unofficial build right now, no more no less. The same as I have been posting here both unofficially and officially for over a year now (and others have for years before that) with Moonchild’s blessing. The only thing new is the White Star branding, which is something I am doing at Moonchild’s instruction, because I was informed I cannot use the Pale Moon branding anymore.

When I do actually fork I will need to post the source to my fork, so out of an abundance of caution and preparing for the eventual fork I posted the unmodified source on my site. If you want me to make additional changes beyond the branding when that day comes, like disabling Pale Moon Sync or pointing it to a different server, please just give me a list of the changes you want me to make. I don’t want to cause problems here, I only intend to give the Mac users you are abandoning with your decision a place to go.

Here is the section of the Mozilla MPL FAQ that covers what I am doing, all I am required to do is tell the people who download my build where they can get the source code. (Which I did when I linked to your source download)

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/MPL/2.0/FAQ/

Q8: I want to distribute (outside my organization) executable programs or libraries that I have compiled from someone else's unchanged MPL-licensed source code, either standalone or part of a larger work. What do I have to do?
You must inform the recipients where they can get the source for the MPLed code in the executable program or library you are distributing (i.e., you must comply with Section 3.2). You may distribute any executables you create under a license of your choosing, as long as that license does not interfere with the recipients' rights to the source under the terms of the MPL.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-02, 07:04

Let's defuse this before it goes any further. There's no outrage that I can tell, only a rather firm requirement that licensing is followed.

So what "built-in URLs" did you change then and where? Because I think that's the main sticking point here that wasn't made clear.
Calling it "built-in" means it's something hard-coded, meaning in the source. If that isn't the case and that was a misnomer on your part, and it's just branding preferences part of your branding, then there is of course no problem but it shouldn't have been called such in that case causing confusion.

Either way past 29.1.1 this no longer applies, you must be forking, so consider this a push to get your things in order now rather than later.

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2021-04-02, 07:12

The only changes were the branding, I thought I made that pretty clear.... the URLs in the branding. Sorry if it wasn't.